ylbissopmember
1 post

Posted:
I am currently looking for some new more elegant fire eating torches. My home made tools just don't seem sexy enough anymore. Preferably they would be 9-11 inches in legnth with small heads and leather and/or wood handles. perhaps somthing with a victorian look? and a nice presentation box would be a plus but i can always find this seperatly. I've seen alot of staffs/torches online but nothing that didn't look like a plain metal rod stuck in a chunk of wood ushally with a big wick(YUCK). figured I would ask here as a last resort before i went back to finding someone who could custom make them for too much $$. I know people don't ushally look at the torches, just you and the fire. Still i only eat as a hobby ushally for friends & fam and wouldn't mind a set of torches I could keep out as a conversation piece and use when i get the itch.

Thanks in advance

p.s. keep up the great work here at the boards i have been reading them for quite some time and thanks to you guys I haven't experienced any usless pain. yet.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL...I am glad you ahven't experienced any useless pain! That is always a plus!

As for eating torches. It is soooooo easy to make your own, and you can make them as elegant as you like.
Here's how....

Go to a store that sells grilling/bbq tools (you know..hamburg flippers and such). Find ones with handles you really like and buy them.

Now, measure them to what length you want and cut off the "business end" of the tools, which leaves a nice handled metal rod.

Now wick it. You can use a kevlar wrap if you like. I use cotton cheesecloth and white school glue. This way you can have the wick however big you choose. Each one costs less than $10 to complete, takes a couple hours to make, let dry overnight and there you go. Cheap, fast, easy and pretty!

Dontcha love the world of ghetto toys?

Hope this helps!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I like my ghetto ones. They're threaded rod down the middle of brass tubing (with screws to seal the ends). I stole the idea from someone of course but the advantage of all metal is that it flickers with the light of the fire. Plus you can polish the brass to make them like new in no time.

I'd post a photo but I'm not that cool.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I still use coat hangers but I need something better.

I really don't want something with big handles (or wood on it at all) I really like these
https://www.pyrosutra.com/~irongypsy/frame.htm

But they are a bit pricy. I really need to learn metal working skills so I can make stuff like this that's not ghetto.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Astar..in the world of metal working, those are ghetto. I know a few blacksmiths, and those are really the basics, and not hard to make. And I have seen some ghetto that are far prettier than "professionally made" and last longer.

Although, I have to admit, coat hangers are where I started, and where I start others usually, and they are the lowest form of ghetto...but can be twisted into pretty shapes! lol

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
well I wouldn't say the torches I posted are ghetto, they are just minimalistic. Although they could use a better finish to give them a cleaner look. To me ghetto isn't really relative. If you make BBQ tool torches and they turn out without any jaggies or poorly sanded wood or anything then it's not ghetto it's just plain. atleast in appearance.

One of my teachers told me one time that 3 years ago (while I was in another one of the classes he taught) a swordssmith and blacksmith in the are approached him and asked him to tell his students that he was looking for an apprentice. My teacher forgot about it/doubted anyone would want to be an apprentice anyways and didn't pass on the message. 3 years latter we were discussing small business such as barrel makeing and blacksmithing that used to be the main line of employment for middle class people. He mentioned how the blacksmith was looking for apprentices 3 years ago but didn't find anyone so retired and got rid of all his equipment.

BTW this guy won like two world competitions for swordsmithing. I totally would have taken the opportunity to learn from him if I had the chance

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I would definitely NOT say that those are ghetto. Perhaps your ghettos are nicer upstate.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
as far as the social economic standing of eating wands go.. I would have to rate mine as lower-upper-middle class or Ghetto Chic heres a look
Fire By Riz "Wands"

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all