Forums > Technical Discussion > Metal bits...stainless steel vs. zinc plated vs. galvanized

Login/Join to Participate

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Hi folks!
I just made a beautiful set of cathedral type poi that give off a brilliant flame and spin like magic! I've used all stainless steel bits...(eye bolts....double nuts...quick links...swivel). I find it super expensive to use SS exclusively and am wondering if anyone knows how heat resistent zinc plated or galvanized quick links and eye bolts would be? Is it better quality to use stainless steel or would any of these other types work? Are they as strong and reliable? Is the only plus to SS it's rust resistant quality? Cheers for input..

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
but your setting light to the wick wrapped around the metal parts, so what does it matter. the choice of galvanised, Stainless Steel, steel, aluminium.... as long as it doesnt melt like plastic [that would be silly] it doesnt realy matter much, its gonna get black and sooty, any kind of dipped plated coating is probably going to warp, say if it has a chrome plating it wont stay that way for long.

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
High temperature and metals:

I strongly suggest using stainless steel if you can afford it; it is hypoallergenic. After this I suggest nickel-plated steel and zinc-plated steel. Here is some info about metals.

Zinc-plated Steel: Many 1/8" quicklinks you find at the hardware store are out of this. There are some people with zinc allergies. Will rust if the plating is scratched or otherwise removed.

Galvanized Steel: will rust and is also generally suggested that one not stay in physical contact with it; from what i understand this either reacts with your skin/sweat and becomes a toxin.

Aluminum: weak and brittle in many cases. While cool aluminum is not problematic, fumes given off from superheating/melting aluminum (not likely in a typical firedancing situation) are toxic.

In all cases, heat will cause additional particles of whatever material is there to float through the air and onto your perspiring body or into your respiratory system, increasing the odds that whatever it is while react with your body.

This is why I suggest stainless steel. Nickel-plated steel should also be fairly non-reactive, the quality of the plating depends on the manufacturer. Zinc-plated steel is also probably ok, as relatively few people have poor reactions to zinc.

Keep in mind that people have been firedancing for quite some time using these and other metals. The negative effects may require quite a bit of contact/use before they come into play.

The equipment we make is slowly moving toward being stainless or otherwise coated/plated by us to decrease oxidation/rust and the odds of someone reacting to our products. Yes, it is more expensive, and that is one reason we are not there yet.

If you are concerned about the cost, I think you should feel good about having made a high-quality, reliable, safe piece of equipment for yourself.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the input! Cheers for the detailed answer...you completely covered it. I DO feel really good about the completely SS set that I've just made for myself (complete with a mini wrench to keep everything tight). I will most definately stay away from galvanized now...I had heard from metal workers that it gives off toxic fumes when under hight temp...(not the temp that we put it under by spinning)...but toxic nonetheless. Happy spinning!

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
the Gangsta poi spinners in london have been making their poi from phat gold chain

Galvanizing=zinc coating

quote:
In all cases, heat will cause additional particles of whatever material is there to float through the air and onto your perspiring body or into your respiratory system, increasing the odds that whatever it is while react with your body.
If there is any effect at all, its negligible. Compare with the amount of shit you get into your system from burning paraffin.

Stainless steel not as strong or as stiff as galv/nickel.
Eg stainless steel bolts under load can tend to stretch and come loose

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Phat gold chain and 100% pure citronella oil....now that would be spinning in style....

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
glass is partially right. but, galvanized steel is not necessarily the same as zinc-PLATED steel, as there are several galvanization and plating processes: hot-dip galvanization, electro-galvanization, etc. certain methods give more corrosion resistance, some platings can chip.
For example, the galvanized steel rings used in chainmaille pieces will corrode and it is not suggested a piece be worn next to the skin. the zinc-plated steel quicklinks commonly used by the firedancing community are not a problem in that sense. Though, we have experienced corrosion after having beaten them about from general use.
Stainless steel is weaker, but we don't use a bolt design anyway because we try to reduce the amount of metal as much as possible. still, I don't imagine her stainless steel hardware reducing the safety of her equipment, especially if she uses hardware rated to meet or exceed the stress she subjects them to.
My nickel-plated steel rings, zinc-plated steel quicklinks, zinc washers, and nickel-plated brass ballchain connectors are all corroded to one degree or another on my original fire chains (1.5 y/o). the stainless steel ballchain and stainless steel wire cable are hunkey-dorey. Will the corroded stuff give out anytime soon? doubtful, but i feel better looking at it, not seeing anything corroded, and feeling confident that the stainless pieces hold up to the abuse.
About the particles, I have to agree that you will get much more kevlar, fiberglass, and oil particles, and the oxidized versions of them in your lungs than metal particles.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
yeah. yea. Thats better.
Nice reseach

twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy)member
78 posts

Posted:
@ glass the london phat gangsta

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?