Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Genereally, are your fire chains much heavier than non fire ones? Mine are really heavy and unweildy.

do you practice on your fire ones generally (unlit) or move on to them once you can do a trick?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think mine are all roughly the same weight. My Beamers, Fire and Aerotechs are all quite heavy (depending on what you call heavy), my socks are sort of medium, and tails and glowsticks are light.

Personally I think it's best to practice all sorts of different weights - it means you can use anything that's available...

Fire poi tend to be heavier than sock or tail poi purely as they often have a metal chain/chord instead of string, there is a lump of metal at the end plus the wick. Then on top of this there's the weight of fuel. It's not that fire poi are designed to be heavier, they just are

I find heavier (but not harder) poi are good for learning moves as you can slow things down and the poi have so much more momentum that they spin themselves

All my own opinion of course

P.S. This whole post is rather dependent on what you define "heavy" as

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i have many different sets, long short, heavey light, loads of different non fire toys too af all varieties and some aerotech swinging clubs.
i play with them all for different purposes and never settle for the same set each time as each has its own purpose.
i at least try to have a matching set of poi with length and weight of fire/ non fire.

CatastrophicBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
YAH, I am playing with weight issues too...heavy chains can TWEAK OUT your wrists!!! definitely setting yourself up for repetative motion injury....

I am looking for small chain for poi...I was considering cable for a while, I might still do that on my small poi, but then I need weight on the ends of my meteor to make it really go 'round...I think it really has a lot to do with the type of hardware you are using and how heavy it is, plus whether one has a HUGE 1ooo # test fishing swivel on the end...I think catherdral folds with a big eyebolt and nut and washers tend to be really heavy cause of all the hardware. I am going to make some monkeyfist wicks soon, wripped around an inner core of leftover kevlar rope knotted up with a cable loop to attach to the chain, the lack of heavy hardware hopefully should keep it relativly light... cause one must always figure in the weight of fuel plus drag when spinning lit...

I have spun some pro made chains that were incredibly heavy and that was before dunked and lit...ugh...unless you are really burly and can spin heavy chains...most men can but not me. Also I practice a new move with sock poi, more forgiving and less tangle prone (ie less frustrating), then move on to my tennis ball poi, then chains, then fire....anyway that is my 2 cents worth

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

these poi ownd by dom leggy blonde are hardcore.

i'd stay away from any thing that has cable on it, they are dreadful to spin.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Good thing I got chains then aint it...