Forums > Technical Discussion > Fishing swivels on poi...do we like them??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
I'm wondering about how neccesary fishing swivels are on poi? I've never had a set that had swivel action but am interested in knowing if this is the way to go and why....or if it even makes a difference....?

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
Attaching fishing swivels to chain is a good idea.

replacing the chain with fishing traces, not so good..

it feels excellent cause theres no wind resistance and the weight ratio's brilliant, but if they wrap around a finger.......

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
man ball chain can suck my finger. that stuff lasts about one day when subjected to my inhuman amount of airwraps and tangles and tugging and bashing. it's welded link medium machine twist chain with swivels at the poi end or die for me.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
errm,

Im being slightly heretical here but....

I dont use swivels, I dont think they are nessacery, it twists, it untwists, where the problem?

neither poi nor metior have swivels and it has never made the slightest bit of diffrence, centrafugal force keeps the chain/rope/sock untwisted and while a glancing blow may spin them up a few times, it just untwists.

Sorry guys, hadda be said.

Tom

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
motion is seconded...swivels are absolutly worthless. They are in fact "the weakest link" and have no real usefullness (other than making money for the swivle company)

it twists, it untwists, and cetrifugal force is the only real consideration. IMHO

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
interesting, i couldn't disagree more, so perhaps it is basically a matter of spinning style. my chains without swivels frustrate me so much that i'm using ballchain until i can afford more swivels and connectors. but then, i hit myself a lot intentionally(and oops-entially), wraps and recoils and raptors and such.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
when I first started twirling using home made cord poi I found they twisted a lot, especially with butterfly moves, and started putting swivels on.

I now don't use them at all with my chain poi and sock poi and have no problems at all with twisting.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think one reason why I don't have any problems is that I don't keep one move going constantly. Doing one move repeatedly (like a forward butterfly) will cause your poi to get twisted up. My style involves a lot of direction changes and turns, which unwind the poi befor they get very twisted.

For flags and comet poi, swivels are ABSOLUTLY esential. Even with swivels my flags can get twisted up if I sit there and do a slow butterfly for ten seconds. But for any other poi, I realy don't experience any difference. Maybe I am just not very observant though.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

shoddygoodsmember
18 posts

Posted:
funny...

i guess the swivels that i suggested a while back, were found to be satisfactory, considering they are on nearly all the rigs sold in the home of poi shop now. ( are thoes the stainless steel wire thimbles found on the same fishing supply site also? )

just an observation...

[ 10. September 2003, 09:11: Message edited by: shoddygoods ]

Page: