Forums > Technical Discussion > A survey......cathedral type poi heads vs. kevlar bolted around metal tube....

Login/Join to Participate

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Hi folks
So here it is...the big question ....In your experience...do you vote for the cathedral type fire heads or the tube type poi heads. Which one and why?
(I love that all the little cartoon thingy's are happy faces)
Let's talk....

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Cathedral wicks get my vote. I find them easier to make, cheaper - depending on how much kevlar you use), safer - they're a more solid structure & a decent thicknes eyebolt ain't gonna wear out anytime soon, & for the amount of kevlar they give off a bigger, brighter flame.

& it's easier to reverse the kevlar to extend they're lifespan.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Cathedral.

Some of the reasons not stated here include better flame size/burn time per weight and size and they are softer when you hit yourself with them.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
tube core for beginners, cathedral when you've been spinning fire a few months.

Cathedral are generally heavier (mine are about 3 times heavier than tube core) and although don't hurt more (because they are softish) they are harder to control at first unless you're quite strong. They also have a bigger flame and much greater burn time.

( is this a happy face? no )

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Cathedrals hands down

I have both types, but I find the flame off tube cores to be a little small and short lived for my liking. Once you get used to the weight of cathedrals nothing compares IMHO.

So much fire, so little body hair...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Cathedrals win my vote hands down.

Put simply, the flames are larger and they burn for longer.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I've only used cathedrals so I couldn't rely say.

or could I?

Yes, yes I can. Cathedrals are the best

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Well...there we have it folks...so far cathedrals win hands down! I've been spinning for almost 2 years and have never spun with the cathedrals so now I'm extra stoked to give it a go with all this feedback. Been doing preformances with a jazz piano player and find my poi go out way to quick so this will alleviate this problem (although we've inpro'd a candle dance into the whole thing while the poi refuel). Yay....so excited. Cheers

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I was looking to add burn time for our poi section in my show we were getting roughly 2.5 mins with cathedral style wicks with 4 ft of 2x1/8 wicking burning 100%white gas wal mart brand colemans (which by the way is cheaper and burns cleaner and longer than the coleman brand)

So I figured i would make a set of tube core wicks to see if they burned longer using the same amount of wicking and fuel after about 20 burns we were getting the same burn time from the tube core wicks as the cathedral style wicks .
I did notice a smaller or I should say different flame from the tube wicks which was the down fall
but on the other hand the wicking on the tube style held up alot better.

even know my vote is on cathedral style wicks
the way I made the tube style was much easyier and didnt have much of a weight differance.and i didnt feel any differance in how the tube style felt while spinning .

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

CatastrophicBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
MONKEYFISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahaha

Thought I'd throw a little curveball in here...

Actually they are all I've ever spun, I like them becase they look clean and neat and *best of all* no exposed metal hardware on the ends, havent spun anything else, and havent done any burn tests...

Plus they are fun to make

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I like my home made cathedral heads... My complements to the woman who built them.

She has a different style off head... She called it a double cathedral wrap (I think it's the name for the tube wrap).. It looks very similar with the tube type, but the way she did it, there's no tube to speak of!

The only advantage I found between her's and mine are that they're small enough diameter to fit inside a 9 liter Kerosene jug... Other than that it burns pretty much the same length of time, but doesn't soak up as much fuel

but I like my heads better... Just because they soak up lots of kerosene

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Cathedrals, if they are competing with metal tubes... Not just because of the flame, but also because of the screws.

But alltime favourites are still braids...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Cathedrals. They burn brighter, bigger, and longer. They're also easy to make and maintain, and can last for a few years if you take care of them. Monkey fist are nice, but they're expensive sense they require lots of wicking to make. Tube wicks are good for beginners, sense they have a short burn time.

Cathedral wicks are by far the best style in my opinion. Though I've seen some cathedral hybrid wicks that I'd like to try sometime.

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
Cathedrals. Easy to make, and they set off a huge and nicely controlled flame.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
May I vote for monkeyfists too? smile
Just because they rock...

If I had to pick though, I agree with tube cores for beginners and cathedrals for advanced.

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
My first Fire Poi were Cathedrals.
Boy do I love them!!!! biggrin

Large flames, loud noise, and they burn for ages!!
My Cathedrals make my friend's Tube wicks look like puny childsplay. wink

I have never tried Monkey Fists... or Gorilla Fists... I really should at some point.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
offtopic

Is that Red XIII?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Looks like him to me. biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Invader Xan- I love your avatar. Bender used to have an awesome Gir one. Have you seen this? I have one! biggrin

Ive always personally only owned tube core. I havent had the need to buy others. I find that monkeyfists have a very long burn time. Cathedrals, I havent used much so wont comment on.

weavesmiley

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
i have kevlar wrapped around wire which also holds it all together (similar to tube core but without a metal tube), haven't had much experience with tube core and none with cathedrals or monkey fists so i can't really vote, the ones i have are pretty good though so ill vote for them.
home-made all the way....home. wink

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

FefnirGOLD Member
34 posts

Posted:
Currently I'm liking monkey fist's better then my cathedral's. The cathedrals have a metal piece on top that burns pretty bad when doing wraps >.<. I'm tired of getting large burns on my arm, so I changed to monkey fist's.

Stan Fox: Damn these glasses.
Navin R. Johnson: Yes, sir.
[to the glasses]
Navin R. Johnson: I damn thee.

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Invader Xan- I love your avatar. Bender used to have an awesome Gir one. Have you seen this? I have one! biggrin

Why thank you. smile Made it myself one afternoon when I didn't have much else to do...

Oooo... Lovin' the box! If that isn't on my Amazon wishlist, it's going on there now. Who knows, maybe someone will buy it for me! biggrin

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poje

offtopic

Is that Red XIII?

Why yes it is. biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

iamnickdGOLD Member
13 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine spins cathedrals and his go out about a minute or more before my tubes do. I've been spinning fire for almost a year, and have never had a problem with my tubes. They last forever, burn and durability, they're not as greedy as the cathedrals seem to be on fuel, and the bolts have never once cause a problem since they're recessed inward.

I'll probably get cathedrals next just to keep my options open, but I love my tubes, and I'm no beginner.