Forums > Technical Discussion > Saving yourself from nad pain

Login/Join to Participate

Bubble Kingmember
13 posts

Posted:
I thought I'd share something I've learnt to save unnecessary pain for you gentlemen. After some beautifully aimed and well powered poi right in the family jewels I sat (I was sat for a while as you can imagine) and thought. After a bit I could walk and went and bought myself a box such as cricket players wear. It was cheap, fits comfortably and girls will be impressed (if they aren't already of course) and, best of all, you can practice in perfect peace without that wincing "Oh please don't hit me" feeling. Do remember to take it off before you try to go to the loo though.
Go on do yourself a favour boys. If you don't then the next time you are doubled up in pain think of me wagging my finger saying "I told you so!".

Capitalism Kills - Kill Capitalism

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
funny you should mention cricket boxes, i got talked into playing cricket a few weeks ago. My turn to bat and I took the exectuive decision not to wear the box out of the kit bag that had been down several hundred people's trousers over the past few years.

Anyway, lets just say there was a bit of and a bit of and lots of from all the on lookers.....

Thankfully i haven't hit myself there with poi in a long time now, i think now i have my planes sorted i tend to hit my legs and side more than head and balls.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I generally have a much bigger fear of hitting myself in the face. No quick fixes for that, except perhaps a fencing mask.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

crazycarlSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
it is weird... I have only been spinning for about six months now, but i practice a LOT LOT LOT! Anyway, at first I hit myself in the junk quite a bit, but the more I have practiced, the less it happens. It isnt that I mess-up any less, or that I dont still come close all the time, (trust me, I still whack myself good, daily) but my arms have somehow trained themselves not to EVER EVER EVER hold the poi at any length or on any plane where they can hit my nuts. It is like my body has gone through the pain enough times that it just taught itself never ever ever to allow it to happen anymore. I dont ever even think about it anymore, and i havn't hit myself in the junk in probably a month now.
If you practice with a box over you goodies, i think you may be robbing yourself of the natural learning experience that has to take place. Otherwise, you are gonna spin without the cup, and you will whack yourself good because your body didn't learn to protect that area at all costs.

A bird can fly, but a fly cant bird...

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
man, i couldn't disagree more. after 7 years of ball whopping torture i am finally going to break down and buy me a "box" as you wierdo foreigners put it. if you haven't hit your nads lately it just means you're not pushing yourself hard enough

what i want to know is, i've been looking for more "streamlined" alternatives, so i can keep wearing tight pants, and still have a lot of gymnastic type leg movement, and still protect my nards. i may even just make my own undies out of leather and some plastic or something. man, by now i swear i've dropped myself to the floor for a few minutes at least 30 times. F#@*CK being cautious i'm getting REAL sick of it.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I kinda like it actually...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
You would...

crazycarlSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I have to reply to the above comment about me "not pushing myself hard enough".
It is not physically possible right now for me to push myself any harder. I have only been twirling for about half a year, and am ****ing getting good. I am not saying I am even close as good as many on this site, but I am biding my time before enter the relm of the true Jedi. Watch out, if I can make it on the next COL video, your shit talking will end and you will understand the level at which you dont hit your nuts anymore. (I figure if I talk a little shit it will make me practice harder)

A bird can fly, but a fly cant bird...

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Some people say competition brings out the best in people. Others say groin pain. Whatever does it for you...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
Thankfully i haven't hit myself there with poi in a long time now, i think now i have my planes sorted i tend to hit my legs and side more than head and balls.
saying something as cocky (no pun intended) was just tempting fate wasn't it?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I have always found that an effective way of avoiding nad pain is to not hit yourself in the floppy bits in the first place.

I'm far too lazy to go out and buy a cup (using the word box in referance to the groin area in the US generally is only applied to female genitalia, FYI), so I just avoid hitting them at all. It's been working great for years now.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Severly burnedmember
10 posts

Posted:
I just endure the pain, just keep spinning and you will forget about the pain.

Plus not having a cup or box or whatever it's called makes even practising a little bit dangerous.

..:Ø_Ø_Ø:..

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I fear being hit in the head/face more than the nads. Few simple reasons...I seem to hit myself in the head/face more often and in most cases, the head/face is a bigger, more protruding target. Sure, I occasionally slip and give myself a good tap but it really only hurts when Im lazy and practicing in my boxers which Ive learned not to do anymore.

The real pain comes when Im doing forward BTB weave and screw up. Thats when the ball comes flying towards my face and usually ends up hitting me right in the corner of my eye. God, I dread Monday when Ill be getting my beamers

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
EDIT: Double post, sorry.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Actua;lly, I just started doing a deliberate headbutt recoil wrap, its really good fun and looks insane on fire.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti