Page:
i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Love the beaming poi, great fun. Except I am just starting to learn so I still hit myself every once in a while... Couldn't we like, put some soft translucent rubber on the outside or something?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
the gain IS IN the pain

jeeez, what do they teach at school these days?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I agree.

The pain element helps your body to learn where to put ya hands and when. Your body doesnt like being hurt - it will learn.

So much fire, so little body hair...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
actually i was joking, i'm too scared to buy beamers

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't rubber be evil? Hence the butterfly bouncing off each other, then having a big crotch shot at exponential speeds?

Kinudin

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Haha, well I never thought of it that way Kinudin, but yes, I guess that is true... well how about a soft squishy thing around it then?

I thought I'd buy the beamers cause it'd be safer than fire for performances where that kinda stuff aint welcome... Which it is... just not so much for my knees. And forearms. And head. And one time in that ever so tender area which Kinudin brought up...

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oh and P.S. all I gotta say is, I've been learning vertical wraps around my legs, which means they are spread apart kinda... which leaves some vulnerable areas both open, and hanging... I got too close a few times...

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I have only grazed that area in the psat and don't even want to imagine the pain of a full on sack tap with beamers.

My condolences beefy.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
all things considered I'd rather nut myself with nice soft kevlar, flaming or not, rather than beamers

that's not to say that i won't be buying some very soon, thankfully i haven't hit myself and caused any serious pain in almost 6 months now. There's nothing like a bit of fate tempting to spice life up a bit

manu t.i.h.t.member
16 posts

Posted:
maybe you can wrap the beamers with this kinda packing material like that bubbles plastic that we all love to pop, this will allow the light to come trough and still will feel softer???

-Pinky do you ponder what I ponder???-Yes Brain, if you start my name with an O it is spelled Oinky

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
beamers are definitely dangerous, a friend of mine managed to break one her top front teeth which I know from personal experience is v. painful! I haven't caused myself any major harm with mine yet, about all i've done is crack them together a few times when doing one handed BF actually cracked the casing a bit.

What about instead of the hard plastic outer you had something like the aerotech globall but with little holes for the LEDs?? true they would bounce but then they're not s'posed to hit together anyway.

Dilbert's Words of Wisdom -
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either!
You are slower than a herd of turtles stampedeing through peanut butter!

Oh yeah.... Don't tell the ants

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
did nobody like my idea of the aerotech balls with holes for the leds?

I'm heartbroken

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either!

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I don't think it would be hard at all to make big bouncy balls that lit up (clear rubber?)... I think the problem would be in the battery replacment....

Either way I want to se them though! Please! End my pain!

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
you have em rechargeable just like the aerotechs just plug in the charger and presto working beamers again!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorin:
did nobody like my idea of the aerotech balls with holes for the leds?
i love your idea (happened to have a similar one meself ) but you don't need holes...

spoke to aerotech the other day about this.
cos they're doing uv balls now, i wanted some that shined rather than glowed and asked if they can produce balls with a clear silicon coating.
they told me its no problem to produce balls with zero diffusion and that they'd be the same price as normal. sorted.

however, as lots of people here will tell you, aerotech balls still hurt when they hit you.
i've had loads of full on hits in the legs, two in the face (black eyes!) and one that really hurt

i think the only real answer here is 'just be more careful'.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
I actually think myself that fire is safer then the beamers because I have nutted myself a few times and it HURTS LIKE HELL. But I think my self Kevlar would not hurt as much as a pair of beamers would. try glowsticks they can be fun but there is no real weight to go along with it sadly. Oh well I advise you not to listen to me alot about Poi because I have just started and I'm actually more Staff.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
I can never remember the address for aerotech can somebody tell me so I can have a look at the site again?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
www.globall.com

if you are thinking of buying, let me know (am trying to get a bulk order together to save on costs... ).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
cheers cole, will certainly let you know if I decide to buy.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Back to the bubble-wrap idea, I thought about this when I was using my beaming poi but never tried it. I wonder if anyone has tried it and how effective the LEDs actually are through the bubbles.

Has anyone actually tried this?

I have no idea where my beaming poi are now, probably at the back of a cupboard or bottom of a box somewhere - I'm back to good-old practice poi with kite tails again now - kids love them (and you can let them have a go without worrying about being sued for manslaughter) and they can't knock you out

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of trying to make some myself.... don't want to say how just yet (in case it's a complete failure, which is quite likely) but will post instructions if successful. Does anyone know where i can buy really cheap LEDs? the only uk supplier I could find wanted 50p each for plain old red ones! extortion!

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm...are you having a laugh?

making your own beamers..good luck

if you if i will legally sign my ass over to you.

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
go on Polythene make em, I wanna see u legally own UCOF's arse! that'll be mighty funny!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
www.globall.com

if you are thinking of buying, let me know (am trying to get a bulk order together to save on costs... ).

Is that just for beamers?

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
check your pm's mate

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
yeah beamers hurt like no other
i do meteor w\them and if anybody has seen some1 do meteors u go about 5x the speed of normal poi
its just how they work
dont ask....
anyways
yeah ive given meself a cuncussion on a screwed up overhead butterfly
not to mention the dinner plate size bruises from body wraps
good idea tho
and on teh wicks topic they do hurt less but if u dont get them off of you
say if u wrap and they kink up on themselves u get set on fire
NOT A FUN EXPERIANCE!!!

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
UCOF, you're on! But seriously, like I said, not expecting much success, but it'll be fun to try, and how will we know if no one ever does try? (I'll post whatever results I get, so everyone can have a laugh at my expense.... )

I was thinking of a from-scratch approach, moulding and all, but it's looking to be an expensive experiment, cos high intensity LEDs alone are at least triple the price of regular ones.

To qualify, do they have to be spherical beamers, or would short tube-like ones be ok?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its a little bit cheeky this innit?

i mean, using a website run by a company called 'beaming balls ltd' to discuss the design and construction of, guess what...

beaming balls!

just shows once again that malcolm is possibly one of the most chilled individuals on the planet

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Coleman, you have a point. Sheepish apologies for any offence caused. Didn't want to buy a £40 set just to start mucking about glueing on packing foam, and since there's loads of threads discussing fire poi construction (also sold here) its easy to get carried away!

smack on the wrist for me....

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've seen rubber bouncy balls that blinked when they bounced... so why can't something like that be made? Rechargable like Globalls, built to poi like Electroglows, and rubber so as to save all of us a lot of pain?

kenrgordonmember
3 posts

Posted:
on the pain topic....

i've found that if i happen to burn myself (less commen these days) that i actually start to get to know the burn better than before i burnt myself.

again. i feel that i get to know the element of fire better and better each time that i burn myself by it....

holistically, if one burns oneself in any walk of life then one walks away stronger from the experrience... right? so why not with fire. the fire and me have a much better relationship with each other now that i understand what it means to be burnt by it....

not to forget that the fire is actually a living entity.

ken

=

Page: