timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Hello, I need some help, I have read lots of discussions about lengths of staves and such, what I want feedback on is what the inner core staff on this site is like and has anyone found anything better. Does this staff connect together well? Does it not fall apart while twirling and when atching it does it feel strong and sturdy or does it feel like it is going to fall apart? If you have found something better, why is it better?

I am the guy running around with his hair on fire!!

AyellayenThe smart-arse who kisses Rouge's
128 posts

Posted:
Hey mate, I have both a single piece, and a 3 piece innercore staff, I like both, but they each have their own pros and cons. I've found that I can't do as many contact rolls with the innercore because the aluminium is addonised (chemically treated to resist scorching, which makes it a joy to clean).

The innercore has never come apart while I've twirled with it, mainly because it takes ages to screw in. It's lost a thread or two from time to time, but other wise I've never had a problem with it. It's also heavier than my one piece staff.

There is a little rattle with the innercore, but nothing major, you don't even feel it when you twirl.

Here is a pic of both my staves,
And here is what the inner core looks like unscrewed with the club ends screwed in. The bit underneath is the handle/centrepiece, the wick ends screw all the way in until you reach the larger section of reddish metal. So you can see there is a fair bit of material to brace it against.

I hope this has helped you, if you want to ask some more questions, email me, my contact details and my website (contains pics of me and mates using both staves) are in my profile.

**Edit**
I've just clicked on the links to make sure they work, and they don't. You'll have to copy and paste the links to actually see the photos, cos Geocities is TIGHT!

[ 09. April 2003, 10:53: Message edited by: Ayellayen ]

It's my world - you all just happen to live in it.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
its a hell of a lot more study and better constructed than the pure flame ones sold here, which are in my opinion a waste of money. The handle isn't completely flat, it is curved, which means palm spins arn't as natural with it. It is reasonably heavy, if you have ickle fingers like me it can hurt doing dodgy finger spins. Finally at the end of the handle is about 1 cm of roughly finished metal. Catch it wrong and it's like a cheese grater on the skin. Otherwise nice piece of kit.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
What Flid said! (except about the toughened metal, I've only hurt myself by smashing afinger into those grips, and that would hurt no matter what the staff was made like...)

I've got four of them! Two of both lengths, and, in my opinion, they are the best breakdown staffs I've ever used.

The thread on them is very fine, which means they hold together well, the handle flexes when serious stress is put on it, rather than the aluminium bending, and the rubber grip took a little while ot get used but I really like it now.

The threads where thends screw in also rotate a small amount, which also helps to prevent bending, and they are an comfortable weight.

They seem to be the most expensive breakdowns I've seen, but in my opnion, worth every penny!

In my opinion of course

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
there are heaps o threads aboot how magical the innercore staff is.
nothing beats it.
I tracked down the dood who makes em and am hassling/bribing him to make a special pair for me! woot!
i wuv innercores!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Flid, perhaps when you are next in Colchester you can bring your staff along. Nothin better than twirling in Colchester park on a fine day (which is few and far between)

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for your posts.

My main concern was the threat of it not feeling so sturdy, but you all have stated how muc you like it and have had no real problems, and the portability is going to outway any minor niggles

Thanks

Bye for now

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Dude, i have been making these 4 ages. They are good, BUT there are disadvantages. If you could get a custom single rod staff it would kick ass. The real advantage with these "core" is u r able to change length. But after some serious drops, you staff will need good lovin to fix it. Plam rolls r still in, but not to the degree of single rod. Id perfer the right length and weight of a single, cause no matter what damage u do, it wont rattle. I should know, iv had 2 over 7 years. And fixed them 100's of times.

I have also witnessed 1 rod come flying out and nearly take out bystanders, not to mention fly heads (meteors) lol.

Find your fav length and weight and get a custom, it will last longer. Or if u want "core" make it yourself, cause u will need to know how to fix it WHEN it breaks.

Actually, mine have detatchable heads, so they are not as safe. I dont know about the h.o.p 1s though, i hav'nt seen 1.

[ 10. April 2003, 00:40: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Its all just smoke and mirrors

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
The real advantage with these "core" is u r able to change length.

I dont know about the h.o.p 1s though, i hav'nt seen 1.

Just for clarification the inner core staffs sold here arn't adjustible length. The Pure flame one is, but you should know my feelings about this loverly piece of rattling aluminium by now!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
as for colchester, i was there yesterday. Will be back in 2 weeks until mid june. Send me a pm some time.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
one of these days i'll read the whole thread before making 3 individual replies.

quote:
I've just clicked on the links to make sure they work, and they don't. You'll have to copy and paste the links to actually see the photos, cos Geocities is TIGHT!
this is because to stop people linking they look at the referer field sent by your browser and if it isn't geocities they block it. you can easily get around this thou, for each image create a 1 line html file with a meta refresh on it of the image. That way the link points to an html file (which geocities allow linking to), which as soon as your browser recieves it loads the picture instead, but submits geocities as the referer.

Or even simpler get a better hoster

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:

Just for clarification the inner core staffs sold here arn't adjustible length. The Pure flame one is,

flid's so right! u da man!
i treasure the innercore and gave it a name

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

128 posts

Posted:
quote:

Or even simpler get a better hoster
Yeah, I got a better hoster, https://www.firetwirl.net/ayellayen/fire.htm

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
OK so stay away from the Pure Flame staves. I was thinking originally of a one piece staff but I am never in one place for very long which means strapping it on my backpack leaves it very exposed. If the inner core staff is as good and solid as what some people say then it solves my transport problem, but I was a bit dubious about the handle. The one piece staves seem to have a nice handle for doing twirling. Does anyone have trouble with the handle on the inner core staff? I notice one post from someone in this thread (sorry cannot remember who) said that a palm spin isn't as easy. Does it just take practice as you were used to a different handle or is it not as good. Performance will always out weigh portability.... I think.

128 posts

Posted:
I find that the handle on both my staves is good enough for palm spins. Although they're different, I actually find I can do faster palm spins with the innercore because of the smooth handle, it doesn't want to grip as much to my palm. Admitedly the innercore handle gets slippery if you get fuel on it, but nothing a good twirling t-shirt wont fix.

For transport, I have a bag for the one-piece which I bought off the guy when I purchased the staff (go to https://www.concentrate.com.au
), and that fits nicely in my bag and holds everything together. When I wear a backpack, I place the staff between my back and the backpack, threading it through the armloops, i then grab one end and pull it up, so it's diagonally across my back, I don't need to hold it at all. When I'm in a busy situation, I can hold it almost vertical by pushing the lower end down.
I don't find that I prefer one staff over another just because of transport, although I can't fit my one piece in my school locker
I'll get some photos for you when I go out tomorrow night. If you can wait until then

[ 10. April 2003, 21:26: Message edited by: Ayellayen ]

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
I gotta say - I saw the Concentrate (or inner core) staffs at the European Juggling Convention in 2001 and thought they were the best produced (ie not DIY) staffs I'd seen...and I still think so. Yes the handles a bit 'different' (pro's and con's), but the time put into the overall design makes it so damn good!
As mentioned, the thread is tight and long and it seems to be set on grommet that rotates too, so you really have to want to undo it for it to undo.
I think that the PureFlame ones are a bit shite really (sorry to any offended designer out there)...the wieghting is all wrong (IMHO) and the twistable release bit means that the ends of the staffs can come sliding out astonishingly easily... not good.

As mentioned earlier, 3 pieces have a tendency to rattle and even hae been seen snapping. A one piece is that much less to worry about (just the security of wicks). I travelled successfully with a staff on planes trains and automobiles for well over a year (admittedly waaaay before 9/11) in a PVC drainpipe. Cumbersome but do-able.

There's my 10cents worth.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well I love the convenience but one thing I have to say and I must forward on to Malcolm is the handle is very abrasive. My finger has just healed from last day I was playing staff at Spitz (2 weeks ago) and I have not been playing really since then. I really don't like this material as it hurts my pure hands although Kota shares the staff with me and he does not have any problems.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I have three stalves, one innercore, one adjustable three piece I bought from here, and my custom job that I just put together.

The adjustable one just doesn't work for me. The locking mechanism gets in the way, and with contact rolls it bugs the hell out of me. Also it's really really light so it always feels like Im gonna smash it to bits.

The innercore was my first staff, and I must say my second favorite (Only because so much love went into my new one ). I learned to spin with this one so it also holds sentimental value, hehe. In fact, for regular spinning, this is my favorite, however when I started moving on to contact rolls, the handle length started messin with me. Its real small IMO, as I use the whole staff to roll when I do contact work, and the bare anodized aluminum slips way to much to be good for that sort of thing. Plus it's hollowness means that it bounces more than rolls... But for a beginner, this is my recommendation. It's not too heavy (Or maybe Im just a hulking brute, who knows), easily breaks down, is sturdy, and easy to clean.

Now my new staff is 1" aluminum with tennis racket grip which goes over 2/3 of the staff. It's heavy as hell, especially when soaked with fuel, but for contact work it is my dream staff. It has become my main performing implement now.

If you really want to get into staff twirling I recommend the innercore first. It's a good beginners staff, and should work for evryone. This means you can get to know what weight you want, length, etc. I kept adding wick to make mine heavier until I finally broke down and made my own to my specifications, which in my oppinion is the best way to go once you get the hang of it.

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Ayellayen - Looking forward to see those photos.

And thanks for the reminder Kat not to do the dishes and get soft hands, then play with staff.

Just out of interest Kat, you said the handle is abrasive. Is it a very hard rubber handle or is spongy soft?

The main highlight I thought with having a three piece is that I can make it more inconspicuous when travelling and will be able to hopefully store it in backpack/rucksac when checking in on flights, removing the hassle of 50,000 questions.

I have a friend who works in Thailand and he has a three piece, but so far has created quite a spectical for himself as the ends keep flying off breaking things when he is indoors or scaring the beegeebees out of people when they are watching.

I was initially put off by a three piece, but would love to find one built well. By the sounds of your comments this one is one of the best on the market. I am actually amazed nobody has bad comments about this actual product available at HOP except Kat and the abrasive handle and the odd rattle?

Beefy just read your post, thanks for your insight.

[ 11. April 2003, 08:33: Message edited by: timsimms ]