Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I was wondering for those who have played with the electroglo poi, which colors you like best and why.

I'd like to get a set to travel with and don't know what makes the most sense.

Thanks for your input!

Raph

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I like the blue and the green and the red.

Sorry.
That wasn't very helpful was it.

Um

The red and green ones look more evil than the blue ones. But the blue ones can look a bit unhappy sometimes

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
okay mate, all 3 colours look ace cus basically it's colour and it's spinny
if vibrance is what you are after, then blue/green is best.
but you must consider what colours you would prefer to see when poi is spun.
do you want the same colours? it makes a lovely trail.
do you want multiple colours? it shows off distinct trails, especially if you perform off-time twirling routines.
also, you could score two pairs of poi and connect them up as a christmas tree of colour! streetlights look unreal but won't last the fortnight after your birthday!

if you asked me what colours i prefer, i'd say blue/green, but be mindful that a combination with red allows for greatest contrast, if contrast is your bag. ultimately up to you my friend, and happy twirls!

tip: if you use double CR2016 3V batts (one insulated from short circuit) instead of single CR2032 3V batts, they glow even brighter? 6V gives off more of that electroglo lovin' than 3V, but it's quite possible that it will shorten your LED's life expectency.

meow!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I like red and blue...... one in each end of the same poi. I just put an extra blue LED in standard red electroglows. Or you could of course do it the other way round.

See the pretty trails below

link to purdy picture

Nice tip on the batteries Bender

So much fire, so little body hair...

AyellayenThe smart-arse who kisses Rouge's
128 posts

Posted:
Mine are green, mainly cos green's my favourite colour, and plus they look cool when you get into a fast rhythem of 3 and 5 beat weaves. Actually they'd all look cool when you're doing that, but I like green cos they do give off a calm, relaxed, eerie glow. Red seems a bit too harsh for me and blue, although closer to green, it just seemed to me that they wouldn't look as good spinning at night in a park.

It's my world - you all just happen to live in it.

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
Zoltar, are they the new electroglo's? I heard you can no longer put in two colour units in teh newer version. I'm considering getting some, and if I can definately put in two colours, I'm set.

--Luke

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Hecatonchires, yes they are indeed the old model elecrtoglos, but the only original things left of them is the actual tube and the original LED's. I replaced the caps, changed the cable setup for a ballchain setup and made different finger loops.
The new model has a different setup, and incidently isnt as bright as the old ones - they don't have the light refracting film in the tube. You could add a second LED to the new model but you would have to modify the cord attachment. Will post a picture of what I did later in the day - am sure you could do the same to the new model.

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
A picture would be good.

--Luke

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
No prob.

Here are a few ....

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I think the pics give a good indication of how I modified the electroglo. They were initially the 'cable through' model but you could do the same with thye new model. Its basiclly the same principle as a 'bucket handle' simply fasioned out of coathanger wire. You could make a cap to fit over the end if you want, but I didn't see a need for it.... .

Hope that helps

[ 08. April 2003, 22:55: Message edited by: Zoltar ]

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
Great shots. Explain it really clearly. Is that just a little bit of aluminium tupe to act as a strengthener for the coathanger holes?

--Luke

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Nah.... no aluminum tape, must be the reflection from the flash on the digicam. I just drilled holes in the platic tube.... doesnt seem to be showing any signs of wear yet.

The other minor modification is the bubblewrap round the outside. Refracts light and makes the trails look thicker I think. Make impact with the body less bruising too.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Can you put 2 leds in the electroglo poi currently available through HOP?

Raph

OPt-xmember
1 post

Posted:
yeah I think the best LED poi are:

they flash Red Blue Green, quite quickly so when u look at it, it appears white, but as u twirl them u can see the color change,

they look very cool,

u can make them with some simple electronics and a super bright tri color LED, as I did

your u can buy them in a key chain type, from raver glow stuff websites

I think www.wantfrieswiththat.net sell them, bit pricie,

Cheers

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
omg flashing pacifiers!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
you can buy tri-color leds either as the led or as keychains on e-bay for less than $5.00.

you can also get the keychains as the photon lri. x-light rainbow

or in the rainbow in motion funbag(hackysack)

or if not from USA, from www.psycholights.com

these can be used to replace electroglo lights

toodles

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.