MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive been planning to buy some beaming poi but after reading a few threads about them, Im getting kinda scared. Hearing terms like 'ball of plastic death' isnt too comforting to someone like me who still hits himself in the head quite frequently.

I wont, however, be ordering them for another 2 weeks or so and Im thinking that by the time they get here, Ill be ready for them. I figured Id come to you guys and fish for other options on LED lighted poi. Anyone know of beamer type poi sets but slightly less dangerous? Dont recommend electroglo though cuz Ive already ruled them out. Also, would a flaming cathedral poi be safer than beaming?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Also, it just occurred to me that if I did buy the beaming poi now, and wanted to get into fire a bit later, I could just buy some fire heads and put them on my beaming chains, correct?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Royal:

Also, it just occurred to me that if I did buy the beaming poi now, and wanted to get into fire a bit later, I could just buy some fire heads and put them on my beaming chains, correct?
I'm pretty sure you could but I prefer having separate chains for all my different poi.

Beaming poi definitely are more likely to cause great physical impact damage being they are made of really hard plastic.Hitting yourself with a wick is more like hitting yourself with a hard sponge.

Take heed of all the myths of the infamous "Death Poi", it could save your life.

AussieSpringbokmember
10 posts
Location: From Cape Town, South Africa but living in Perth A...

Posted:
hey...
well i am fairly new to poi... and i found a cheap... way to do beamers... they dont look half bad.. not recomended for performances...
k well you know you can get those bright LED key chain thingy's... the ones with the button you press on or off not the ones you hold down... well i clipped one of them onto the ends of my practise poi... they look pretty cool... and they dont hurt as much!
i want to try clipping a whole bunch on..

cheers

you cant have it all, where would you put it?AussieSpringbok

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've done that before, get some of the cool "rave light" thingies on the market, and put them all on your chains, It's a little lite weight, but you can add a glowstick to the mix just for more colors and weight. It's kinda weird to be clipping little photons and glowsticks onto a nice set of chains though, lol. Also, you an experiment with putting photons in tennis balls and punching holes in the outside of the ball. I've seen it done. Doesn't look near as cool as real beamers, but it's a less painful substitute.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Or you could clip all those key ring lights onto your beamers for some hella cool light trails.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Don't be scared, just buy the beamers.

I had the same delema but I love mine now. You're right about the fire heads, just buy the extra quick attach thing in the parts section off Malcolm.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
perhaps a pre beamers construction kit..

Take your photons, and a glowstick, wrap in BUBBLE wrap, I usually add a few ball bearings or stones inside as well.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Beam, beam, beam.

A decision I'm sure you will not regret! J'adore mon beamers.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
quote:
I wont, however, be ordering them for another 2 weeks or so and Im thinking that by the time they get here, Ill be ready for them.

you will never be ready for them. No matter how much you practice you will still hit yourself occasionally and it WILL hurt.

get electroglos. Safer for yourself and others and look just as good.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!