Hydrogonianmember
2 posts

Posted:
Greetings everybody,
I've been learning for about a year but just recently started spinning fire. you know words don't express how I feel now that that beautiful sound is in my ears. anyway, something I noticed was that i spin much better with the heavier fire chains than I did with my practice tennis ball set. I can do things now that I couldn't with the tennis balls. i think its because the added weight provides stability and the momentum keeps the chains from going off course. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for heavier practice heads? Something that i could just link onto my chains would be super. This is my first post so I guess I'll eventually post something in the intro board. Also, I'm dying for other people to spin with so if anyone is in or around the Philadelphia, Pa area, drop me a note!
piece,
Chris

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
personally when i felt i was good enough to use fire was when i no longer hit myself (much), at which point i was good enough to practice with my fire sets (non lit). Just stick some foil around the heads and wipe the chain to stop them making you sooty.

Other than my LED ones, I only use fire ones now for practice. My tennis ball/tailed ones haven't been used in months.

Its better to practice with the ones you will use with fire, weight, lentgh etc wise. Fuel will always add a bit to the weight, but its a good start

Hydrogonianmember
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks, thats a good idea. i thought i remembered someone selling weighted practice heads somewhere but i can't remember what they were made out of or who had them. the foil idea is cheaper though. I guess I the only worry would be excess soot getting loose. Also, what about travel where you wouldn't have the opportunity to light up and don't want to be hassled about your smelly wicks(on a plane) but want to be able to practice with some weight? Just me overthinkin the possibilties.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Adam Rice sells some nice lookin dummy weighted heads that mimic the weight n feel. You kin chekkit out @ here

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
if you just want to use your old tennis ball poi fill a balloon or bag with rice or something and pop it inside the tennis balls. Or make new poi using heavy juggling balls. There are loads of cheap and effective ways of making the perfect practice poi for you - be inventive and think of all the materials you have to hand. And if you make them yourself you can modify and alter them to achieve exactly the right weight, length, speed and handling that you want

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Jespamember
21 posts

Posted:
i cut open tennis balls and put some random pool balls i had lying around... to get used to the weight of beaming poi...and they did stuff like isolations really well...
then i realised that i wouldn't be able to afford the beaming poi for a while so i took the balls out and reused the dog chain for new fire poi...

Cheers

I have a deep and painful spiritual problem...I've fallen over and can't reach the vodka...help......please...?!?!