ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I was having a swing of my beloved fire poi last night and the strangest thing happened. I was about a minute into swinging, I stalled to change poi direction and the both simultaneously went out!! Soon as I put a flame to them again they burst into full flame and I spun them for about another four minutes before the flames died down.

Now these are cathedral heads which had, as usual, been very well soaked in Citronella/kero mix, so they had heaps of fuel. They had only been burning a about a minute so they were in ‘full flame’. I wasn’t swinging fast either.

After the first burn I gave em a dip in fuel and lit up again. All going well, then when I was in about the same position in the front yard, and stalling again, one of the poi did exactly the same thing – just went out. And again when waved near a flame burst into full flame and I swung em for another 3 or four minutes!!!

Just to add, it wasn’t a windy night – in fact it was very still. This has never happened before….. usually they burn for 4 or five minutes before I extinguish them. Spooky. Any suggestions why this might happen?
Could I have an anti-poi poltergeist blowing out my wicks?

So much fire, so little body hair...

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

The only thing I can think of is get yourself a good priest and have your poi exorcised.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I blame the media.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I blame the french.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
I blame the french.
Ouch, your gonna get a for that one
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
:P

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i blame kato

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
How long after lighting up do you start spinning? Sometimes the wicks haven't quite caught properly, and any sudden movement (spinning fast or changing direction, say) is enough to put them out. I normally leave them about 30 seconds or so after lighting before I start swinging. You can tell when the flames have caught properly by the look of the wick - it should be entirely surrounded by blue flame.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I always let my wicks light up properly before spinning, so I don't think it was that (not that I think it was the Media, the French, or Kato either.

As I said they were in full flame and they just went out like they had been extinguished...... wierd...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I've experienced it too.... I figured it was the Poi Gods telling me "stop using those damn denim wicks"

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
There is a tiny tiny chance that centre of your wicks is much more tightly bound than the outside, in which case it may take a reosanble period of time for the fuel on the inside to heat up.

during spinning, the colder fuel may act like a douser and leave only a small amount of hot, buring fuel on the outside which canbe put out by the wind caused by motion.

Of course, I'me just makingt his up as I go along, I have no idea if this is complete rubbish or actually grounded in fact somewhere?

NYC, Mike Ginny? where are you guys when we need you....?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I'm going to blame it on the rain, yea E yea

Or maybe it was the taliban, they've been sabotaging our fuel suplies haven't they? Making it so our kero doesn't burn right?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
That explains the rumbling your pickup makes when you drive

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
If I remember right, when stalling, the oxygen in that area of space is used up so the fuel has nothing to feed off of.

I've only been able to have that happen once, but I guess you're an extra 'lucky' person maybe?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Kinudin, that is the best explanation so far.... ding, ding - we have a winner.

BTW - hasn't hapened since