ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I got my cathedral heads for my birthday in late January, and have only lit them up about 6 times so far.

I have tried to look after them as suggested here, but I noticed last night that the bottom fold of Kevlar has a ‘break’ in it and now has some frayed ends in the middle of the fold. It is fraying out from the break.

I assume that this is going to be the downfall of my cathedrals. Is there anyway I can repair this before it frays further?

So much fire, so little body hair...

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Elmers glue and maybe you could re-enforce it with kevlar thread.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I have tried gluing the break with PVA/white glue, and it seemed to look repaired. But after another burn (after 24hrs so the glue could cure)the fray was there again and the glue wasnt. I assume it has dificulty adhering to the now fuel soaked material.

What is elmers glue??

So much fire, so little body hair...

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Another name for white glue.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Having experimented with many different designs and construction techniques, I can definitely say that Cathedral fold poi show signs of age much more quickly than tube-core poi. The extreme bending of the fibers to make the folds weakens the fibers to begin with, and the heat from the flame on the surface speeds this process up even more.

This is just one of many design tradeoffs. Cathedral fold wicks are quick, easy, and cheap to make and (in general) produce a larger fireball for a given quantity of wick. Tube-core designs require more materials, are more time-consuming to construct, and require more wick than cathedral designs for the same amount of fire.

The very first set of poi I ever built was tube core and they are still in pretty decent shape. All of my cathedral poi are pretty ratty, and some I have even taken apart and re-made as tube-core to prolong the remaining life in the wick.

All that said, wear after six burns is a bit extreme. Another common source of wear is having the poi scrape the ground while you are swinging, so you might want to make sure you are not inadvertantly doing this.

-p.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I really like towel wicks for their size and burn time. Not very hard to make and towels are cheap.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
What I do when I notice my wicks fraying a little too much is take them apart and flip them the other way i.e. fold them opposite to the way they already are.

It might be worth a try.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
what you are seeing is the end of the wicking were they started the folding of the wick that will fray for a while it is normal..their are a couple of fixes white glue as already said a quick dry expoy will work well too. or you can pick up some kevlar thread fold the end piece over its self and sew it..or the easyiest fix leave it alone it will stop fraying after a while

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all