Forums > Technical Discussion > Larger Flame without Larger Wick

Login/Join to Participate

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Just been giving this a thought, as I really like the idea of a large fireball without having long wicks (i'm not really a fan of double headed poi).

Then I wondered if anyone has tried a cathedral fold, with a nut between each couple of folds attached to the bolt in the middle? This would really open up the surface area, without increasing the overall size of the wick or weight.

Input anyone?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
That's a nifty idea.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have discussed this with about 3 different people and here is what we came up with.

It would increase weight. You are adding more metal bits, they have weight, it will weigh more, and when spinning, even a few ounces are noticable.

It will increase the size, but only at the center, so you will have a wick that is bulky in the middle but not on the ends. The wick is tight weave but not really stiff so adding metal bits won't cause the folds to stick straight out, just droop over the nut, especially once it is fueled up.

And technically, you will be adding length. Nuts are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. You add even 4 of them and you just added an inch or two to the center of your wicking, which again makes a difference.

For all that trouble, just fold on a few more layers of kevlar or use a looser fold.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Would a looser fold affect the durability and lasting time of your whicks?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yep. A looser wick will not last as long as a tight wick.

But, wick lasts for ages anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

A looser wick will also run out sooner, so you get more fire in a shorter psace of time.

If you want more fire, have the wick tight in the middle and loose on the outside, and use LOTS of wick.

I worked out how much my wick lasted me a long time ago in another thread, I think it came out to about 1 cent US per burn, so don't sorry too much about making your wick last...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Got it. So according to Charles, the best way to increase flame size without using more wick is to "use LOTS of wick".

Please tell Cassandra to call you a Knucklehead for me... she does it quite well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yep, thats me, MR Knucklehead!

I know the title of this thread says
quote:
without larger wick
but the opening post says
quote:
without having LONG wicks
maybe its just me and my pedantic use of language, however, I think making th epoihead larger by wraping wick won't increase the length of the wick, simply the width.

Of course, I'm still on my crusade of getting people to realise that wick is not expensive for what it is, though it seems expensive when comparing it to cloth rolls in a textiles store.

But, regardless, I ama self-confessed knucklehead...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm on that crusade as well. Especially when fuel is CLEARLY the most expensive part of fire spinning.

Also, since the opening post mentioned cathedrals I figured we weren't wrapping around anything. Then again I don't know what pedantic means so I'm unsure of how to respond.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]