toastmember
9 posts

Posted:
Hi All,

I am a bit new to all this computer stuff but have been spinning for a couple of years now, mostly poi, bit of staff.

I am a design student and want to incorporate some spinning products in my portfolio. I am currently working on some equipment designs, trying to be as innovative as possible, but would like to know if anyone out there has any problems with equipment, gripes or annoyances.

For example one of my concepts, is an all-in-1 fuel bottle, soaker and poi/staff holder, designed to stay clean and be easy to carry.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, cheers

I fell in to a burnin ring of fire, i went doo doopy doo and the flames they got higher, and it doo dumpy dooooooooooo.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Do keep in mind that a good bit of fun of fire tools is the "make it yourself" feel to most toys and devices. You could make the best bottle in the world and people wouldn't take it for free because they've already got their own signature paint can or purple thermos (that's me) or some other found/bought personal item.

Good luck though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
uh clearly a big enough amount of people don't like makeing their own stuff enough that they decide to buy fire toys and accesories from the multitudes of fire shops. Most of the stuff these shops sell one can make themselves.

Yes there is some people who prefer to make their own stuff but that exists in any marketplace.

toastmember
9 posts

Posted:
yeah i've been made most of my stuff, i think it has a lot to do with my student status.

So most of the ideas i have come up with are make it yourself stuff. I am not looking to market any of these ideas i'm purely in this game for the satisfaction of making things work better."blurgh"

What i am looking for is fundamental problems everyone has, such as failing equipment or wick maintanance

I fell in to a burnin ring of fire, i went doo doopy doo and the flames they got higher, and it doo dumpy dooooooooooo.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
what I've been wondering is if there is an easy way to fuel a staff...

At the moment you can't soak both heads at once (obviously).

I thought of 2 possible solutions:

1 - Screw on/removable heads which you take off to soak in the fuel (Need some sort of handle to avoid getting hands covered in fuel)

2 - Double fueler-type-thing. Would need to be the same length as a staff though...

Or you could design a soft, painless version of Beaming Poi

I try to make things myself but unfortunatley am just crap at that kind of thing. I must be one of Malcolms most regualr customers

Good luck!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
kinda off topic, but for the firestaff fueling thingy....

you could make a case kind of similar to a musical instrument case that is round, and just big enough in diameter for the wicks to fit in, and long enough for a full staff. So, it would kind of be two cylinders on both sides for the wicks to sit in. You could use rubber gaskets to seal the wick cylinders where it meets the shaft of the staff, and obviously the cylinder itself would need to be sealable where it folds in half. So, it opens in half and when the staff is inside, it rests on the gasket next to each wick, and the shaft would be suspended so when fuel leaks (because it almost always will) the handle won't get wet.

of course, the case would have to be made to fit a particular brand of staff, but... (make one for the 52"concentrate staffs and I'll buy one!)

Hopefully I've explained this well enough, but I had surgery the other day,and my head is kind of cloudy...

toastmember
9 posts

Posted:
hmmm the deul fuling is a good one.....

....maybes two rubber toped bottles, that slip over each end....

...or have the lids for the said bottles are already attached to the staff, so you can clip the bottles in, then quick release, once they've soaked.....

this has got me thinking, ......

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
how about self lighting poi?staffs? Theres been talk of this before using model rocket engine igniters and flash powder and what not.

A nice polished well built implementation of this would be awesome. No exposed wires no home made circuts just a button you push on the staff or poi handles and they burst into flames (maybe with a bit of a flash from flash powder) With a battery door to easily and conviniently change batteries.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
good idea, I've given that one a little thought myself. One idea was a type of fire poi somewhat like the beamers with jets of flame instead of LEDs and of course self lighting. The casing would have to be metal of some sorts and perhaps padded with kevlar, but they would probly take the crown as the king of death poi

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

toastmember
9 posts

Posted:
to make them more evil, the jets could force the end of the poi to rotate, like fireworks

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
yeh, no doubt..couple of rocket engines, tho would you have to use a gyro so it could rotate n be easy to spin @ the same time? n while you're at it, why not an extra button on the handle to shoot sparx..ahh, fun to dream about...

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
hehe rocket staff.

Gonna have to make rocket poi to.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
also with all seriousness the spark idea sounds like it might have potential. Press a button to release two springs in the staff that push some sort of fire works compound to the ends of the staff where it ignites.

Imagine spinning and exactly when the song climaxes sparks start shooting out of your staff?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
If you could solve the rocket igniter problem I'd be eternally grateful

Having used up more rocket igniters than I care to count, having spent countless cash on batteries, electronic books and the like - I have the dodgiest self igniting poi, that at best smoulder when connected

And they look terrible

Another design problem I have is using sparklers on masse. How on earth can I effectively light many sparkers at once? I tried putting some kevlar wicking around a sculpture I did for new years to help get them lit , but this was still not enough to get them all lit at once... Just once I'd like to make a big sparkler sculpture and get them all going at the same time

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
How about a self fuelling staff...
Take a aliminium rod, bolt up the ends, making it airtight. Then get a really small drill bit, and drill lots of small holes around the area to be whicked. (Small holes like on those old tea strainers) The wrap the whicks on and screw em in. Then midway into the handle 'drill a hole big enough to fill with fuel, and fill it with fuel. Then dink the whicks and light them...the heat will eventually create pressure in the aliminium rod, that will cause the fuel to seep out of the litttle holes into the hicks. The centrifugal force will also keep the fuel at the ends, until it runs out.
I reckon it would work...and would burn about half an hour minimum! Any takers???

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
One major problem is whick waste caused by dropping the staff! How about some sort of whick guard, so that when the staff drops the whicks don't hit the ground and end up all frayed and knackered?

Free your mind and your ass will follow!