Forums > Technical Discussion > Trustworthy Glowstick Retailers

Login/Join to Participate

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Who can I trust when buying glowsticks online in bulk? Well, not too much in bulk, but enough to occupy me for quite some time. After jumping on the led band wagon I feel the old glowsticks calling back to me. Plus I just like the look they have when you do wraps, the led's don't look as cool in my personal opinion.

So who's bought what from where? I've searched and found many sights, but I'm a bit weary with sending out my credit card info to them. Who's good and who's not?

I've found these :

[image]https://store5.yimg.com/I/botach_1723_93244968[/image]

online at a place I trust, but I don't like the openings/connectors on them, they're flimsy and break easily. Normall I pick up a two pack at target, those are coleman brand IllumiSticks though they cost like $4 per pack, same price online too.

Oh yeah, what are people's experience with "Industrial" grade glowsticks? They last longer but are they not as bright?

[ 26. January 2003, 10:05: Message edited by: Jello ]

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
The sticks you have in the pic are actually Omniglow brand and are to my knowledge the best glowsticks you can get.Omniglow makes just about every glowstick you can buy and does make them with different hooks though they don't last as long.My advice is to stick with those.The hooks suck but they work better than any other stick I've ever encountered.

Here's some sites for you
crazyglow
clubthings
houseofrave
Omniglow

If you want cheap sticks than this is the site for'em cheapestglow .They work good at first but don't last nearly as long as Omniglow's.

Also industrial glowsticks burn brighter and last longer.Though you should know that because that is what the coleman brand is.

If you ever go for the ultra bright sticks just bear in mind they only last for like 5-30 minutes.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hmmm, interesting. Thanks I've always liked the coleman brand, just don't have the time or money to go to target all the time. I think I'll take a look into the other industrial grade ones I found, they seemed to be fairly well priced.

Thanks again!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I wonder how many different "brands" of glowsticks there really are. I know that different retailers sell at different prices.

I've always liked "Cyalume" and have bought them through various sites such as "glowstickfactory.com" But you need to buy bulk.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I think I'm narrowing in on the glowstickfactory, why not get 60 of them? Going with the industrial long lasting ones I believe. So you have had good luck with the "glowstickfactory.com" NYC?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Um.. sort of. I made their life difficult by changing an order a while back and they messed up the change. They fixed the problem quickly.

I would use them again. And probably will soon.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Interesting, those Target $4 2-pack ones are the same ones I've always used and I ALWAYS have succes with them. They have holes on top that come with little hooks that can get in the way but they're easy to twist off. The connectors have never broken in all my spinning and wrapping (especially when I used to do nothing but speed spinning =/ ) and they tend to be very bright. However I've noticed of all typical glowsticks that every non-green color tends to fade somewhat within the hour while green stays much brighter for longer. Just an observation though.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I can't believe I forgot to tell you to save your money and get some Aerotech's .They are a bit expensive but you would never need to buy glowsticks again.

To answer you NYC,Cyalume is a brand exclusively made by Omniglow.If you check your packages and it indicates cyalume anywhere on it,it is made by Omniglow.The "Coleman" brand is actually the same kind they use in the military.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, as to the aerotechs or electroglo, how do those work for wraps? I guess the main reason I'm going back to glowsticks is my personal preference to how they wrap. Do the electroglo's wrap well or does the extra wieght or different in materials affect that?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Aerotechs? Are those the ones that Dom had at Decom? Did I see you with those ever poiahollic?

I'm gonna need some more convincing before I shell out $130 Are those the ones you're referring to?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
are those aerotech's strong? the "glopoi" look pretty weak. i mean, their construction is described as a "single polycarbonate shaft", they look like the kind of thing i would borrow then immediately break on accident. i still haven't found a perfect replacement for glowsticks.
especially if your doing wraps, that kind of action will tear inferior gear up amazingly quick.
this should probably be in a seperate thread, so to stay on topic::

i will vouch for glowstickfactory.com , i ordered from them and was happy with the product. i personally stay away from any color other than green or maybe the blues, all the others seem inferior/not as bright. definetly don't get any "colored casing" glowsticks!

peace

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Blue have been a personal fav of mine and I know green tend to be the best. I got some red once, ugh, mistake. In my order I'm thinking of getting half green and half blue. Maybe some white too, mainly cause in two weeks there's going to be a "dress in white" style party that I want to go to. Plus I've never used white glowsticks anyways. I might get a few high intensity ones to play around with, basically I'll stock myself up for quite some time, be cheaper in the end as compared to buying at target whenever I need them. (which I do like the coleman ones, just a tad more pricey)

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
NYC you may not have seen me with them but I certainly did get the opportunity to use them.They are extra heavy but far cooler than glowsticks.Dom did a couple wraps with them and he has the meteors and Dom is quite a bit smaller than I am in terms of weight.

BTW rftek,isn't polycarbonate what they make bullet-proof glass out of?It may look weak but they will sooner break you than you break them.

Also NYC they are quite a bit more than 130 dollars.The English pound the last time I checked was worth about 60 cents more than the American dollar making the glo poi and glo meteors around 220 to 240 dollars. I don't know about you guys but they are definitely worth the money.I mean imagine never needing glowsticks again.Plus they have the weight that so many fire spinners are accustomed to.

Why ask me,just PM Dom or ask PK.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jello:
Oh yeah, as to the aerotechs or electroglo, how do those work for wraps?
in answer to the question, there are now 2 availiable heads that can be used as poi.
poi and meteor, the poi heads are the same thickness the whole length down but where the battery pack is, there isnt a glow, they are weighted top end.
meteor heads are the same thickness as the poi but use the same battery pack as the staff wich is a lot thicker and weighted bottom end.
dom uses these and i used both prototypes 12 months ago, for vigerous testing. the meteors work extremly well for wraps with the weight at the bottom, but the poi also wrap well too.
i have had my clubs now for a year, and are still going strong, they are all produced with the highest quality polycarbonate tubing, the website states a minimum glo time on all products, the clubs suposedly only last on full power for 1 1/2 hours but i have had them in a club on full power for 8 hours, they work on a rechargable battery pack inside of the toys, they can not be removed!
there are no switches and work on a tap sensor with a multitude of different programs, any toy can be made to order with costom lengths and a choice of 6 colors, the programs are based on a 2 color option but as minero has just recieved his 4foot all blue staff, it is still programed as 2 colors so different sections can glo at different times.
they do pay for them selves in the long run, if you knew what went into the making of them and the 2 guys that make them all by hand they are pretty damn good.
they are however not indestructable they do break from time to time but normally loose conections on the LED's but you pretty much have to kill them first, mine have been hammered over this past year, but from the money you will shell out all the time on glosticks at $4 a pack then in 12 months you might well have just got yourself some aerotech meteors.
when you see the price's you are just astonished with them, but when you see the quality and the efects that they give, they are totally worth it. if you want to see some images of aerotech there are some on my site poiinthepark they can be found in the gallery pages.

however glosticks are still very handy, look real nice, but then so do sock poi under UV, it all boils down to personal preferences.
i am allways glad to let people have ago with my clubs to get a feel but most are allways shocked at the price.

pointer: aerotech solely do not make juggling toys full time their company make wind turbines as the main company with a staff of very few i think less than ten, the aerotech projects are just a sideline company to fund the turbines.
seems they have a good source of materials and equipment and knowledge to make some damn good toys. they do not juggle or do poi which is why we got to test the prototypes
i did email them to see if we can get some toys to bring to pip this weekend but they never got back to us on it, would have been a good marketing project and a damn good chance to play with some nice toys but i'm sure amongst us all we have a ot to play with allready, clubs, balls, P2's, 3,4,and 5 foot costom staff's, and some poi. should be a good session.

hope this helps.

oh i still love beaming poi, i use mine with pride but i cant comment on electroglo's only that they are too light for me.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
HOLY S**T !!! I hadn't gone to the HoP shop in so long that I didn't even know they sell glowsticks here now too.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i like those monkey fist fire ropes with 8 foot of kevlar meaty!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by poiaholic22:
HOLY S**T !!! I hadn't gone to the HoP shop in so long that I didn't even know they sell glowsticks here now too.
Must have taken the hint Could have sworn they wern't there when I first started this thread.

Well, after all this good discussion and quality advice, I'm not buying glowsticks from anybody. I ended up butchering some old glowsticks, cutting off the bottoms and putting a whole in the top so I could string soelaces through them. I than just attached my strobing led's to the ends, plus just above the glowstick as well. I havn't played with them much but they seem to wrap almost the same as glowstick, cause well they are glowsticks only with an led sticking out one end. I might just take off the led's a little ways up the string, sure two layers look cool but if it messes up the function it's not worth it.

Hmm, wonder if I could pivot the led's and make one of the point down into the hollow glowstick...might be possible to do nicely.