Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Just noticed these, give me some details. What makes them good/nifty/peachy keen? Are they better for some things and not soo good for others?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I am in heaven They are beautiful...

Haven't tried monkey fist fire poi before. I have some practice meteors with monkey fist knots that are a great weight, and are lovely to play with.

I would love to try these. Malcolm, can I have a set just to trial? I promise to send them back

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
make that two sets to trial please Malcom.

wowzers, how long have they been on HOP for?

pretty pretty, but are there any huge advantages to using them?? what is the ratio of surface area kevlar between theese puppies and cathedral wicks??

i like 'em.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
If they are solid monkey fist knots then they are kevlar to the core, which may have some interesting affects. But they may also have some sort of weighted inner core.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd guess they'd have some kind of core, isn't that how you tie the monkey fist knot? Be curious to know if anybody has a pair and how they like them.

oh,

just the whicks
so thats it, longer and larger burns.

[ 22. January 2003, 04:09: Message edited by: Jello ]

Seven - The CatDIAMOND Member
Pooh-Bah
2,055 posts

Posted:
The core is built up with kevlar wick and then a monkey fist knot put over it.
Malcolm has got some of course and they are a bit heavy for him at the moment. Beaming Poi are much lighter.
They look nice and burn nice.

[ 22. January 2003, 08:10: Message edited by: Seven ]

Resistance is futile
I have retractable claws

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Look good, but a bit pricey! I made a set of fire ropes with monkey fist knot heads, with 3ft of braided rope instead of chains for about the same price (if anything, a little cheaper). If those are anything like mine, they should burn for quite a long time - I get about 10 minute burn times using paraffin.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
Since the core is not exposed to flame (oxidization, as it were), perhaps something that can resist heat but is more absorbent than kevlar could be used? Cotton, Nomex (another aramid by Dupont), what else?
I suppose it is something to try.

FA

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I use monkey fist fire poi (I made them myself). They are heavy so I just beefed up my practice poi to make the fire poi feel lighter when I use them. The only probem I've had is that the eyelet bolt gets realy, realy hot. So when you do a wrap it will burn you to a blister in one motion. My suggestion would be to take the Kevlar sleeve and pull it over the eyelet bolt. Then make the torch heads. Just my two cents. I love them all the same, big fire, long burns.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.