Forums > Technical Discussion > How big of a fire eatting torch do you use?

Login/Join to Participate

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I jumped from using my first fire eatting torches that are probably the smallest eatting torches ever made to my new ones that are probably about normal size.

They are 1 and 1/2 inches wide and 2 and 1/2 inches long. When I get a full burn going on them the flame is about 10 inches long.

Im curious to see how hugely big other peoples wicks are.

BTW I made my torches out of coat hanger+fibe glass stove door gasket rope (can be found in any hardware store)

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Howdy.

I use Coat Hanger wire, then unravel a length of whick, to get some Kevlar string, then wind that around, about 1 and a half inch long, about 10Cm wide...gives a small enough flame to eat nicely but still thrill the crowd. I also have two other sticks I use for breathing which have bigger wrapped kevlar whicks on them, they are like small poi whicks, and also OK to eat...

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
About 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter and about 3 inches in length. But....I have been doing this I have ones that we made from grilling tools by using bolt cutters to take off the business end. They have carved wood handles and are nice, but short, the flame kicks up them really well. I also have a longer set made from scewers.
When I originally made my first ones they were coat wire as well, which works well for practice and hobbyists. I do this for a living so needed to step it up a bit.
I use cotton cheesecloth and white school glue for the wicks.
Sturdy, nice flame, good absorbtion without being too much I think.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Pele I was thinking about copying your BBQ tool torches because I read about them in another thread but I like how I can easily hold coat hanger between my fingers so I can hold several in one hand. Maybe ill try to find some BBQ tools with slim handles. I think the weight on the opposite end of the wick would be nice for the sake of balance, I find these coat hanger ones are really forwards heavy and difficult to do some basic spinning tricks with to show them off.

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
To elaborate on the larger torches...they are aliminium tubing, so verly light, with a rubber stopper on the bottom end, to help with grip etc...The whick is a very thin guage whick which burns a good 7 minutes...they were procured when performing in the Syd 2000 Olympics and have lasted well. I agree with Peloe about the hanger wire, but I must say, I have found the hanger wire works very well for me, you can vary the length, and they can also be folded to fit into the pocket, good for smuggling into concerts, and giving the band and crowd a nice one breathe surprise!!!! I have never iused anything other than kevlar whicking, as most other materials will smoulder after a bit of a flame, and also get sooty...but you should chek it out and see what works for you. BBQ forks are also a great idea, and also Fondue forks, that have the nice wooden handles are great. If you are seriously serious, you can go to a wood turner and get some slicko handles made, and if you is de styla, then check these guys out: https://www.pyrosutra.com/~irongypsy/frame.htm
those have gott be tha most stylinest torches known to man...

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"walnut-sized."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted: