KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
I built a fire staff for my girlfriend a little while ago (it was one of the presents I gave her for Yule).
When I discovered that aluminum pipe is very hard to come by in Kamloops I found this lovely stuff called steel EMT conduit. It's strong, it's light, it will withstand the EM pulse from and atomic bomb, and it has a low cost. I got about ten feet (5/8 dia pipe) of this stuff for $3. I'm going to build myself a fire staff from it, and a glo-stick staff. I plan on using this stuff for all future staffs that I make.

On to my question: What do you prefere for your staff's and why.
Steel?
Aluminum?
Wood?

[ 16. January 2003, 19:59: Message edited by: Frost ]

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
The problem with EMT is that the 1/2" variety (all EMT is measured by I.D., so the O.D. would be about 5/8") bends *far* to easily. The 3/4" variety is plenty strong enough, but alas to heavy for most people.

My staff is made from 7/8" O.D. tempered aluminium alloy. It's strong, light, and has a great feel to it -- it's not too stiff and has a nice give to it. On the downside, just the materials were expensive -- I believe a 6' section was nearly US$20.

I've since made some for friends from replacement hardwood broom handles which are still quit nice, and have the advantage of being ver cheap and easy to find. Aluminium tape does a fine job of keeping the wood from burning.

-p.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
aluminum tape.... I never thought of that. I'll have to keep that in mind

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Wooden staffs have a tendency to break, at least when I get near them . I went through two (the second only a couple of weeks after thye first) before I just decided to buy a concentrate staff and have done with it. I guess it all depends on the design of your staff, though. My wooden ones had a fairly obvious weakness in them.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
I use aliminium, or stain;less steel rods, with wooden dowelling inside them- just a little thinner guage than the rod, then pump silicon into that to secure the wood, and glue it to the rod. This also gives the staff some bounce, and stops it from bending( but it does eventually bend!) It also makes it heavier, which means that it picks up more inertia/momentum/centrifugal force- and I find that it stabilises the staff at high speed. Pop three whicks onto each end and you got a pretty big flame, that kicks shit into a one whick wussy wand!!!

Free your mind and your ass will follow!