NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Forgive my laziness, but I did not feel like searching to see if this has been discussed before. I'm sure it has been and if you'd like to tell me to go search for it I will, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm a glowstick spinner who's started spinning heavier weighted stuff in hopes of moving on to fire. I don't base my routine on wraps but I was wondering which (between steel cable and ball chain) works best? Personal experiences etc etc. I do a variety of stuff from arm to leg to handcuff to body (rarely head/neck) wraps and I'm sure people have a lot to say about the topic. I'm used to twirling with shoe laces and such (flat ones are best for wrapping IMO) so it'd be nice to have something akin to that. Thanks for any help in advance.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
personally, i prefer cable to chain for wraps...
but we're all different now

Fire... A bushmans telly

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think your best bet is going to be to find a pair of each you can have a go with and see which you prefer yourself, because I doubt you're going to get a helpful answer on here, everyone has a different opinion.

Personally, I prefer ballchain to cable, especially for wraps, since cable tends to pinch my skin rip out my arm hair

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ball chain for wraps. Ballchain for nonwraps. Ballchain, ballchain, ballchain.

Not to be an advertisement but I use HoP ballchain and love it. The adapters are easy to use and the ballchain is reliable.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I use bearclaw ball chain and I love it. I think the cable kinks too easily and isn't heavy enough to offer good control. Also, chain can be easily shortened without a problem. All you need is a pair of bolt cutters and some patience.

The disadvantage is that chain tangles are tougher to get out of than wire tangles and sometimes ball chain can even lock together. Not a happy thing when it's hot chain locked around a limb (one reason why I don't do wraps).

Anywhoo, that's my 2¢.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i use normal oval link chain on my fire poi - the links being aout 4mm by 8mm.

i like it cos it wraps well and (as yet) has never 'locked up' on me. also i can shorten the chains mid-spin just by wrapping them round my hands whereas this *really* cuts into my hands with cable.

i don't do neck wraps or handcuff wraps at all with fire so i can't comment on these. i've found my chains are fine for airwraps though.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Well thanks for everyone who offered their opinion! Anyone else who wishes to toss in their $0.02 feel free. I think I'm going to order the cheap pure flame set here to start out with. It comes with cable and my friend has a pair of ball chains. Worst comes to worst (which isn't really a bad thing) I'll just order some extra length of ball chain. No biggie. By the way, Nyx, if you happen to read this, where did you get those finger nooses you let me use a couple weeks back? Or did you just make them yourself? I like the design even though one of my fingers slipped out of it.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
For wraps I prefere neither cable or chain I make them with pure kevlar rope I dont like getting burnt ..There is guy who is local here in tampa that does necks wraps with fire he seems to prefere the rope ..
For reg spinning I prefere cable even know it kinks up at times It is very light > Plus if is is worn out it is easy to spot were the ball chain is harder to see wear . I dont think ethier ball chain or cable is better It is just a matter of personal choice and feel.

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
You know I don't like cable, I've tried it, and it just doesn't feel right. But I also don't use Ball Chain Eather.
I use Dog Choke Chains. You can buy them anywhere, they come in all colors and sizes, and they are cheap.
I like the size of the chain link, you can see wear and tear, (although they are very tough), and they don't kink as bad. I also use a swivel clip at the end to hold the poi on. (keeps from kinking) I have never had to replace the chain, although I do the swivel clip.

~fs

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
i love cable but you hafta take care of it, the way i have mine set up it tends to flare at the ends and those little flares will catch on anything, including skin

i almost slit my wrists by accident

[ 11. January 2003, 04:27: Message edited by: Tigur ]

Dicipline Focus Damage

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
O-Ya, That's why i don't use it

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
i have one thing and one thing only to say..it sums up everything in my mind and heart about this subject...

cable bad.....chain good.....

thanks for your time

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Ball chains are much nicer to my bare skin.

Must use elasticky part of socs to protect arms when using cable...still sometimes hurts! ..and I'm starting to run out of black socs...

Plus ball chains are heavier and easier to use with glowsticks.

Om Namah Sivaya

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
tigur
trying putting some fast drying (5 min) epoxy on the ends of the cable that will keep them from fraying you can get it at walmart for about 2 bucks

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I gotta say that dog chain is the best ive found. I really like the fact its got its own weight (nice 4 isolations) and it has never never never tangled irriversably on me. However im a bitta chain freak, my metiors being real heavy oval chain.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
I hear ya Nix! I like the Dog Chain, I actually use choke chains they are already cut and all I have to do is snip off a ring or two.
Go Chains!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
My practice poi are chain, which does lock up sometime and I can never pull off an air wrap with them, and my new fire poi in the mail right now are the pure flame. Now they are exactly the same, just you are paying more for the ballchain, and I am hoping that the cable will be nice for air wraps. I have spun with both chain and cable and I must say that I like them both equally. So I am afraid that the fence post is stuck right up my ass on this topic

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have had a problem with ball chain locking together and "knotting" up, and also snapping apart.
Cable slices skin wide open and I have some interesting laceration scars from those on LED poi.

I am with the dog chain guys. I love it. I have used the same set of dog choke chains for 3 years now with no issues. I have never been tangled to an irretrievable knot, ever...a flick and some reverse spinning gets me out of it. I have never been damaged by my choke chains. I use screw clamp o rings to hook on the wick and a fishing swivel for my handles. They come in several lengths, the shortest of which I prefer. And they are tested for the weight of a pulling dog, so you know that if you get the highest test weight they are not going to come undone for your poi if they won't come undone for a 150 lb puppy. They are smoothe for wraps, weighty for slow spin and yet they handle the speedy parts with grace and shine. They are easy to clean up (one good wipe of a cloth). Really, I wouldn't use anything else.
And if you like long chains, you can buy dog leashes. The clamps on the ends hold and the come with handles attached!
My .02 for ya!

[ 20. January 2003, 10:53: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Here, Here
I woulden't use anything elts

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
This thread i think is long dead but i'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. i use cut up bike lock up chain you know the ones with the combination lock everyone in australia at least will have seen them. the links have a twist in them so they lie flat, they are good for wraps but i have a burned in chain mark around my arm!!! now i do wraps at the start of a routine not the end!!!! no really is just this one move i do the heats up the chains, but atleast i learnt not to show off!!!!!! it didnt hurt i just keep spinning but the next day!!! i used to spin with cable but i lost them. i found that with fast wrap i cut myself! but i didnt really mind they give good speed. yeah thats all.

It's all good