AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I hadn't seen this one addressed anywhere, but what exactly is that film within the electroglo made of? Mine's gotten rather dirty and the lot from wear and I was wondering if I could buy similar film somewhere or if it's a material I could clean myself.

They're just not as bright anymore. Blah.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

I don't know for sure (cos I don't manufacture the product) but I think the film might be that stuff that architects and draftsmen use for drawing up plans. Not 100% on that though!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
You could try a white/frosted (or other) piece of acetate(SP? overhead projector type paper).

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
Vellum (the translucent paper drafters and architects use) would probably work. another option would be to use some sort of theatrical diffusion gel (the colored plastics used in lighting is called gel) it comes in many colors and diffusions. i don't have a swatch around here, but a spun silk diffusion would probably look pretty nifty in there. there are several websites where you can find it, or just call your local community theatre, and they can give you more info. on an easier note, have you tried tracing paper? or just plain white printer paper? i'm not sure how well they would work, but i see no reason why you couldn't play around with them. hell, maybe you could bleach out the older ones.

-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
The redesigned electroglo's don't seem to have that same light diffusing film in them. But I'm not sure

Has anyone had a chance to use the new ones, the ones with rope rather than cable. What are your thoughts?

So much fire, so little body hair...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You're right there Zoltar, they don't have the film inside, but they still light up really well.

I've only had a very, very brief go with Milk's pair - they're quite nice, the rubber end adds a tiny bit more weight to the end which I like.
Also, the swivel's been moved down the cord so you still get it working when you wrap it around your hands to shorten it.

The one concern I have with them is fitting an extra LED unit into the other end - since there's no cable running through then to secure it, I'm not sure I'd want to risk pulling the cap off the top end in case the whole unit popped off while I was spinning them

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I thought that too. I have extra LEDs in the other end of mine (cable type). I have been thinking about how to do this as I plan to replace the cable on mine with ball chain, but don't want to sacrifice the extra LEDs.

I thought of possiblity of attaching a 'D' ring type setup on one end of the tube, not the cap, and attaching chains there. then you could still take the caps off both ends to turn on the purdy lights..

Still need to think more about it.....

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
well,i have the old style, and i replaced the ACL with low stretch shoelaces. that made them much easier for wraps, (quieter too) and i can still put in the extra led's

-Rhys

[ 09. January 2003, 06:33: Message edited by: Mr.Coffee ]

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
OOh! those new electroglo are sexy! it looks like the film has been replaced with some sort of frosted lexan or pvc. still. sexy, i wanna pair. i dunno if you can put an extra led in them the usual way, but i'm pretty sure i can come up with a way to do it.'cause i'm working on a way to put 4 or 6 led's in my electroglo , and it should work with the new ones as well.

-Rhys

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Can anyone suggest where I can get one of the rubber end caps that are fitted to the new style electroglos?
I've decided that rather than buy a new set which would leave my old set obsolete, I'm going to take my old set and make it better, based on the new style.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
well, they look like the tips that you see on walking
canes, so maybe a store that sells those? you may be able to find something like it in your local hardware section too, i'm not sure.

-Rhys

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I opened the old glos up and took out the film. Turns out it's a thin piece of plastic. Not very washable though.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Do they still glow OK without the film?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
That's what I forgot to do... argh.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
TheBovrilMonkey,

I have replaced the plastic caps on mine with rubber ones. They are just 25mm rubber chair stops that you get from the hardware store. They usually come in a pack of four. Or you could even go for the heavier 'crutch stopper'.

Here are a pic of mine...

Non-Https Image Link

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I don't actually have any hardware shops around here, they've all turned into home decoration shops - they sell nothing but wallpaper, power tools and huge chunks of MDF.

While I always enjoy playing with power tools, it means that they're almost useless for finding stuff to make toys with - as an example, I tried all 5 shops in town as well as a few outside, but none of them sold or could even order some aluminium tubing, so I had to use mild steel for my staff.

Oh well, I'll try next time I visit a different town, and it's not going to stop me making the rest of the changes I'm planning.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Hey Zoltar, did you make the leather finger nooses in that picture there? If so, is there anything I should know about making my own? i.e. where to find material, notes about construction etc. If not, wanna point me in the direction where you purchased them from? Thanks a bunch.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

battered_ratmember
40 posts

Posted:
hey all, i recently, well about a month ago, purchased a pair of the new fandangled electroglo's, not through hop, but i'm pretty sure they are the same, and there is no way that u can fit a second led in the top end because the swivel, which has moved to the over end of the cable/rope thing, goes through the plastic end-cap and is secured by a small rod, looks to be metal. it is just a bit longer than the poi is wide, so there are pre-drilled holes it fits into. hope this helps.
by the way, it's not worth the effort taking this end cap off cause it is a total bastard to get back on.

The weekend has landed, all that exists now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties, I got 48 hours off from the world. This could be the best night of my life, I've got 73 quid in my backburner and I'm gonna wax the lot, man.THE MILKY BARS ARE ON ME!!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Hey NothingsPerfect,

Yeah I made my own. I just used a strip of soft leather (from some scrap i had laying around) bout 20cm long and 2.5 cm wide. if you dont have any leather you might use an old cat/dog collar or something like that (you will be amazed what you can find round the house). Make a hole in the middle about 2.5cm long and .5cm wide, feed the two ends through and then just put a metal eyelet in the end through both of the ends that feed through the hole. You can get eyelet kits from craft/hardware stores cheaply.

Hope that helps

battered_rat, I assume you got yours from Juggleart.... That set up with the non glo end sounds interesting.... any chance of a photo of it with the cap off?

[ 17. January 2003, 15:19: Message edited by: Zoltar ]

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Thanks a bunch Zoltar. I'm at school right now, living in a 12 foot by 14 foot dorm, so there won't be much random stuff lying around, but maybe I'll pick up an old belt from a thrift store. I've looked all over for finger nooses online and the only ones available cost $20

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

battered_ratmember
40 posts

Posted:
yeah i did pick them up from juggleart, but about the photo..i dunno, i finally got the end back on, it took aaaaaages, and there's the fact i don't have a digital camera or anything.

The weekend has landed, all that exists now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties, I got 48 hours off from the world. This could be the best night of my life, I've got 73 quid in my backburner and I'm gonna wax the lot, man.THE MILKY BARS ARE ON ME!!