MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I just had to throw away my pure flame staff. Here's why:

The Pure Flame Staff is a three-sectioned staff. You attach the two fire heads to the center section with screw-on attachment thingies. Well, the screw connecter is stuck. I have used all my muscle (and I'm not exactly weak), two large pairs of pliers, and a vise and pliers. No luck.

Well...I did manage to dismantle it...but only because the plastic screw connecter thing broke. So it is now living not-so-happily in the trash.

Sorry to rag on your merchandise, Malcolm, but honestly, if people are looking into getting a staff, get the Innercore, not the Pure Flame.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Haven't had problems with tightness, but my inner flame staff rattles like mad even when completely tight. It's also no where near straight if you hold it by one end.

I got my innercore in the post today thou, so we'll see if its better

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Flid, let me know how you like the innercore.

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
will do. Have to wait a couple of days till i get my grubby mits on it thou, cause i had it sent to my holiday (parents) address wishfully hoping it would come before xmas.

I do know however that it's blue and shiny, which wins my vote any day!

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I had a chance to play with the pure flame sectional staff at one of the first stops of the HOP relay. We all had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get the thing apart, but in the end we discovered the secret. I can't remember what the secret is (this was some two years ago) but there *is* something non-obvious (at least to us) required to disassemble the thing. I'd be willing to bet that if you contact Malcolm and explain the situation he'll probably help you out with replacement parts.

-p.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ok, i got my concentrate staff this afternoon, so having them both sitting beside me now I can comment.

The only thing the pureflame has over the concentrate is that the length is adjustable.

The concentrate staff in all other respects is in a whole new league compared to pure flame. For starters the construction and design is a lot more proffessional. It looks as if it has been made in a proper factory, as opposed to in a garage workshop using prefab parts.

It's thinner, making it better for finger spins, but also quite a bit heavier too, which i'm not used to.

The grip is rubber, as opposed to that horrible black furry plastic stuff on the pure flame.

The shafts screw into the centre part and is very secure, there is virtually no wobble. Also, because it screws in there arn't big black bits at the end of the handle, so if you catch it wrong it doesn't put you off, you simply catch the shaft which is roughly the same diameter as handle.

The end of the shaft has a piece of metal inserted, so there is no wood/dowel showing

I'm not trying to put people off pure flame products, their 2.5inch firepoi are well constructed, my favourite set and get a lot of use. However as far as the 2 staffs go, i'd advise anyone to pay out the extra money for a concentrate, if they can afford it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL pj..I remember that.

We pushed and pulled on it at the same time. Twist away on the right and towards us on the left. It does take a bit of arm strength, but over time with mine I learned that I don't have to screw it down really tight.

I like them both just fine, but I admit I like my innercore better. I think it is better balanced and I really enjoy the thickness of it, as well as the comfort of the rubber grip. The tapering on the grip makes you have to be more aware of placement when doing a palm spin, otherwise it goes all out of whack, and the ability to convert them into spinning torches is really great.

Pure Flame has a night weight ot it, easy to heft. The grip kind of scratches wears on the hand a little and if I drop it I am afraid I will bend the pole, but it hasn't after two years of use. Overall it has held up very well I think.

Sorry to hear about your luck Mike. I am sure you will very happy with the innercore though!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
To be honest, I was not happy with the Pure Flame poi, either. They were my first set, and I guess they are fine for a beginner because they are so light. But they are way TOO light. As in just a little bit of wind and they get blown into you. I also found that the wicks don't stay lit nearly long enough. Finally, they use wire, which some people love (because it is less likely to break than chain and because it doesn't lock on itself), but I found that the wire was prone to kink. On the plus side, changing the wicks is really easy and requires no tools. And I really like their grips.

But in general, I am not happy with Pure Flame products. For those of you who like their stuff, more power to you.

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
well, i like the pure flame set because they are light. It means that i can practice with them indoors without taking chunks out of the wall, and use the same set for fire. The wire does make shortening hard - my buzzsaws are all over the place. I think they are well made, the handles are nice and swivels, but you are right about the burn time, a few minutes max. Not always a bad thing, if i keep changing moves every few beats and try not repeat I can only go for that time - looks more impressive IMHO if you can do a good routine from the time you light till they naturally go out without doing the same moves for more than a few beats.

I got some heavy cathedral heads too on proper chain which have double the burn time, but the last time i practiced with them indoors properly i took a chunk of paint off the wall It's way to cold out to do practise, so i use my pure flame indoors most of the time.