Heidimember
1 post

Posted:
Ella guys, I have started playing poi not too long ago (1 month maybe) and have realized it is just my thing. Every trick I try works (even behind the back!!!)BUT I am having a problem making it flow from one move to the other. I feel very clumsy and confused and usually when I try the strings get tangled up and stuff. Now a call to all you masters of poi that have started like me ... how did you do it?!?

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Transitioning from one move to another comes with practice. Lots of Practice. I don't have any secrets other than that, unfortunately.

Anyone else?

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
It's difficult to work out in your head just how to do a transition.

One big thing to always remember when learning any new move or transition is not to get frustrated. You can do it, you WILL do it. I do this thing semi-professionally (soon to be full-time professionally, fingers crossed, kids!) and it still takes me a lot of practice to learn some new moves that require my body to do things it's not used to.

My method for learning transitions: Become comfortable with the starting and ending move, to the point where it doesn't require concentration to do them well. Then, while performing the starting move, concentrate on performing the finishing move, let your body figure out all the moves and angles in between. If you tangle or hit yourself, remember that failure is a way of eliminating methods that don't work and is just as important to learning as success. Keep starting in one move and concentrating on the next one. Your body will figure it out for you. Do it at a comfortable speed.

What kind of moves are you combining? Moves that stay in one plane of rotation are easiest to transition between. I recommend starting with those transitions (weave over one leg to windmill and back to weave is a good one, and once you can do that plus reverse weave, you can do fountain. Another one in the same plane is butterfly into mexican wave or low wave). Something like corkscrew into weave is more difficult because it requires a change of plane of rotation (horizontal to upright) and so there's far more opportunity for error in the transition states. But it can be done, just go at a comfortable pace.

If you're having trouble changing planes, try shortening your chains a bit. Just wrap them around your fingers or hand once. Once you can do it with shorter chains, lengthen them again.

One thing I notice new spinners doing sometimes is going just a little faster than they can do comfortably because they believe that going faster means they're better. I would much rather see good technique and precision than speed. Technique and grace are what will help you make transitions and combine swinging moves with body movement and, in the end, will ALLOW you to go at full out speeds with control and style.

Good luck!

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well I steal dang near everything I know so that'll be my advice. Watch others. I rememeber watching people when I first started to see how the heck they got from a weave to a corkscrew or whatever.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
Well i think that a lot of people can do most of the same moves when u get to a certain level, and so it all becomes about the transitions, and the way that u string the moves together... thats kinda the way that u create ur own style

well my piece of wisdom goes... wrap!!!... to get from butterfly to weave tricks. If u dont either wrap or stall it is gonna look terrible cos u have to change the planes dramatically

that'll do for me...

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hi Love, (hehe)

I posted a long discription to day for you then my computer froze!

Anyways here i go again, not so long.

You have to remember you are always in the Center of a Circle or Sphere. Constantly compteating circles. Untill your Center comes, here is a few tips:

When you spinn anything you always have 4 directions to realy work with. (I have found)
A North, South, East, and West.
When you are spinning forward in the north pos.and you turn 180 to the south the poi changes direction to backwards. (right) You learn moves in both forwards and backwards. Ex: the weave forwards then backwards in north turnning to south.
For east and west it is the same way, although instead of going forward and backward, you are in the middle transitioning Up and over the head one way, then Down toward the hips the other. East and west. (Have I still got ya) Ex: Following the sun in the West will turn into a windmill in the East.
If you have a few moves in each direction down, you can turn eather right or left to one of the 4 directions and always have something to do.
Remember that you always have to turn at least 90 degrees to a direction, or elts the chains will falter and hit you.
I could go on about Plains and Openning/ Closing your sphear, but I think The Four Directions are enough for now.

Hope this helped

~FireSpirit

[ 05. December 2002, 19:44: Message edited by: skichristian ]

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!