Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Has anyone thought of keeping fuel in army surplus ammo boxes?
They:
1) lock shut tightly
2) look cool
3) are amply big enough for dipping
4) hold tons of fuel
5) don't leak (they're built to survive 100m depths)
6) are cheap! (yay!)

I just found a site that sells them for £2-3 each in the UK... I think I'm probably going to get some.
Check out https://www.army-stores.com/index.asp
under "storage boxes"

(ps I am in no way affiliated with this site. Although I wish I was - then I might get cheap stuff...)

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Awesome idea. Im definatly picking some up. I hate pouring colemen fuel back into the can (actually I don't do it because the particles from the wick/rust and coffee grounds from the coffee can I use for dipping isn't good to have in the colemen fuel. If I use that same fuel in a colemen lamp or stove it's going to clog up the fuel jet.

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
Ammo boxes seem like a good idea but be careful of the rubber seals on the lid. They may break down from fuel exposure and leak. They are great for storing equipment though. Paint cans work well for both if you've never tried them.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Ya hehe, I could get bout 30 of the succers for free hehe, we have em just sitting in the Armory collecting dust. hehe Biguns too

Ohh that fire retardent overall thingy might be pretty nice for some spinners that want to do serius contact stuff.

[ 24. November 2002, 21:44: Message edited by: Raymund Phule ]

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Can you really Ray? Erm, I don't suppose a couple of them could find their way to Denver? Or perhaps one or two of those wooden boxes that your rifles come in?

Jesus helps me trick people.

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
I had originally thought of using an ammo box for storing/hauling my fire gear, but decide against it as the shape is a bit awkward, the ones i could find at surplus places in Denver were a bit ratty and rusty, and the freakin' things were pricey! $20 for one big enough to carry a can of fuel and some poi but still too small for clubs or a fan and too narrow for a paint can to soak in...
Instead, i just went and got a plastic storage bin at Home Despot for $4 dollars and i have plenty of room. They also carry paint cans, it's about $3 for a gallon size with lid. Don't know if they have Home Despot in the UK or Oz/NZ, but i'd think there's some equivalent.

Ammo boxes for soaking... now that's an intersting idea.

Ray, how big are the ammo baxes laying around in your armory? The biggest ones i've seen for sale around here are about 20" long, 18' tall, and 8" deep (all measurements are approx, or in "ish" )

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
The biggest ammo can that we have at the Armory (guessing seen as how I have been gone for 3 months) is a 10,000 round can of 5.56 mm ammo so I would say its pretty darn big hehe. You might not be able to close the can over a gallon of Colemans gas but it could hold it, actually I think you could, ya I would say that you can.

I dont know if I could send any to denver, but I am sure that they arnt on our CMR so if one or twelve dissapeard from the armoury hehe, I think you get the picture hehe.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"