Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
does cold weather affect fire breatheing in any way?

i'm up here in Alberta canada and i was wondering if cold weather like -15 degrees celsius - -30 degrees celsius affect fire breathing?

and how does it affect kerosene?

Dicipline Focus Damage

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Dunno for sure, but I think it would be safe to assume that the plume would be smaller in cold climates... When I was in Canada, I found it exceptionally difficult to light my fire toys during winter. Kero has a high flash point and responds poorly in cold weather.

Perhaps you could speak with some other fire people in your longitude and tell us what you find out!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Ive heard many people say kerosene is hard to light and burns slower in the heat, which would make smaller firebreathes.

Also Im guessing that majorly cold temperatures like -30C will thicken a lot of fluids. It's harder to aspirate a thicker fluid and it may effect how well a wick absorbs fuel.

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
i only know 1 other fire breather other than me personally, so i don't got that exhaustive list of people

Dicipline Focus Damage

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I wasn't trying to be condenscending. I was just pointing out that I don't personally know. Im just relaying what ive read to you.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
being a fire breather i would add that cold will only affect the lighting of ur tourches nad not the actual breath itself. the paraffin will be at body temperature in ur mouth and an allready lit tourch will ignite just as well on a warm and or hot day.
the only thing not to do is if performing in a town or city with tall buildings is to be carefull of the down wind from the buildings, its un predictabe and changes direction at any given moment. also never breath in wind!!! full stop or a blow back will ignite ur face and result in casualty with serious consecuences, wether it be swallowing of the flame or fumes or a trip to the burns unit.
be warned play safe and be it on your own head.
i take no responsibility for your actions and make this post to give a guidline for others.. its all common sense.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im hardly experiences but wouldn't the fuel only be at body temperature if you kept it in your mouth for quite awhile? Especially when your talking about a ambient temperature of -30C. It's going to take a long time to warm it up in your mouth.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
where do you keep ur paraffin in the freezer?
like its gonna be kept at room temerature surely not in a cold or hot place!
so taking a while to warm up in your mouth its got to be cool.... kinda silly dont you think.
a little logic here.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigur:
i'm up here in Alberta canada and i was wondering if cold weather like -15 degrees celsius - -30 degrees celsius affect fire breathing?

I am not in an immediate need of logic but apparently you are in need of reading comprehension.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
man your a little thick arnt you -15 degree's outside...
if your paraffin is -15degrees why bother going outside.
so before you go shouting at people have a little think about what your going to say.

[ 14. November 2002, 00:44: Message edited by: Poi'd and insane ]

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
did i give you guys the wrong impression? i didn't mean to aggrovate anyone, deepley sorry if i did make it sound like that

i don't keep my kero outside, but i was wondering if the lapse between the kero leaving my mouth to the torch, and if the plume would be altered

again, my apoligies if i was taken as being rude, i didn't want to make it sound that way

*note, i am a little dumb when it comes to reading comprehension*

Dicipline Focus Damage

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
he actually said -15 to -30

Why bother going outside? Maybe to practice fire breathing? The winter is pretty long in alberta. I doubt everyone who lives there is afraid of the cold. Those temperatures are pretty common in parts of alberta (especially at night, when it's the best time to fire breath)

You don't have to store your kerosene outside you just have to leave it outside for a few minutes and it's going to start to cool down. Remember it's heat capacity isn't nearly the same as water so it cools off a lot faster then water.

PS-Tigur you didn't do anything wrong. Poi'd and insane has a hard time understanding simple concepts.

[ 14. November 2002, 06:47: Message edited by: Astar ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i have a hard time understanding shit mate.
being a professional fire breather as well as my fiance being one too, i think i know what i am on about. having never been to canada myself and experienced such extreme temperatures it isnt hard to understand the question that was asked.
paraffin has a point in which it ignites the cold weather will not be affected by the cold because as soon as it touches the flame its allready at that point. yeah a plume maybe a little different but that all depends on your skills of fire breathing.
so before you start calling me a wanker and what ever else you may wish feel free.
As you have posted only 30 some thing posts on HOP i thing you should calm down a little dont you, people are well respected here and people will make you feel unwanted with out warning.
and there are many.
do your research about people before shouting your mouth off, you will do it to the wrong person on this board and i am one of them.
be a bright spark and keep it shut.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I never questioned your knowledge of a fire breather nor did I present myself as an authority on the subject. If you would notice I said things like "im hardly an expert" and "I think" and "maybe" in my posts. Your the one that is overly aggresive. Any aggression on my part is in response to yours.

I never said I was certain that the cold temperature would effect fire breathing. The only thing I was argueing is that the kerosene would be cold in cold weather. Which is a pretty basic concept and something you don't need to be a master fire breather to understand.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm i seem to recall certain insults towards my reading abilitities i take that a littler personally.
the way i type is the way i am if you cant grasp what i am saying and take it the wrong way thats not my fault there is allways humour in my posts cos thats the way i am...common as muck.
all i stated was a few points not be be condesended on and personal insults thrown at me.
sorry if i have offended you, but thats the way you came accross to me.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:

You don't have to store your kerosene outside you just have to leave it outside for a few minutes and it's going to start to cool down. Remember it's heat capacity isn't nearly the same as water so it cools off a lot faster then water.

Trying not to break up the party but if paraffin cools down quicker than water, doesn't it also heat up faster, so it wouldn't need to be in your mouth for long to warm it up considerably compared to the outside.
This is just assumption by the way, it's been a long time since I did physics at school.

As an aside, I'd not be too keen on putting a liquid that's anywhere between -15 to -30 degrees Celcius in my mouth anyway, purely because of the risk of cold burns as it took all the heat from my mouth.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*moderator steps in*

Cool it kids!

Asatar, please treat everyone here with respect - no slagging, name calling or personal attacks.

P&I - you should know better. Sure, defend yourself if you really feel the need, but just take a step back first.

I think it would be nice if each of you could please go edit your posts accordingly.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Yeah good point about it heating up faster.

Also My comment about reading comprehension was meant to be a light jab. Sorry that I didn't present it in a better way to avoid missunderstanding. I guess I kicked off this whole exchange afterall. sorry.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
bows to flash fire
as i allready appologised i leave it at that.
bovril good point there at the end of your post.
hope we finaly got to the end result of the question.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just a small additional note to those about temperatures when either firebreathing OR doing burnoffs.

Please note, this is from experience in New Zealand where the temp and humididty changes very quickly. Overall, humidity and fuel temp tends to affect plume size in my own experience...

low temp + low humidity = normal sized plumes
low temp + high humidity = small plumes

high temp + low humidity = large plumes
high temp + high humidity = normal plumes

The reason i brought this up, is that people sometimes assess the temp without noting the humidity, and then ase their exeperiences on temperature only data, which is not as useful as temperature and humidity together.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?