Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Oh... someone said it in the glowbreathing thread.

Is this true? Do any other household liquids glow? I think bleach and/or detergent does. Apart from them?

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Yes tis true tis true! Tonic water glows under UV!

Its great when clubbing etc cos not a lot of people know it and they all tend to drink alcopops from bottles nowadays!

I usually ask for a G&T or a V&T go off and have a boogie and people are always coming up wondering what the hell ive done to my drink!

Always a great way to start a convo with a member of the opposite sex!

Im not entirely sure about any other household materials etc that glo in the dark, but i do know that if you take a polo mint (not the sugar free ones) or lifesaver if youre in the usa and get into a really really REALLY dark place and snap it - you will see a little flash! This is the energy from the sugar bonds breaking (apparently)

Have fun
Gruff

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
And here I thought it was the *gin* that fluoresced under black light...

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
There are lots of household things that glow..... just take one of those little torch floro blacklights with you to the supermarket and check out whats on the shelves

So much fire, so little body hair...

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
I'm going to be cheeky and get all technical about this,

Tonic water glows that lovely blue because of the Quinine in it, which is what you get to help combat maleria. the old G&T came from the english colonialists (sp?) who didn't like taking their quinine "tonic" to keep them from getting ill in India decided to add gin and a twist of lemon to make it that little more palitable to take.

amazing what nonsense you learn!

now if only we could find other things that did the same and get rainbow drinks that sparkled!

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
I know they sell commerical Grade Glow Power.There are two basic glow-in-the-dark (GID) powders. The older style that has been around for many years is Zinc Sulfide with Copper as an activator. I'm sure everyone reading this has seen products made with Zinc Sulfide, for example - those old GID stars for kids rooms. I know what's on your mind - they didn't glow for very long back then and they don't glow for very long now. Fortunately, we live in an age where technology is advancing rapidly - take computers for instance, improvements seem to be made almost daily. The same is true for GID technology, recently a new GID powder has been developed. The newer style is Strontium Aluminate with Europium as an activator. The powder is a non-radioactive phosphorescent pigment with extreme afterglow. The afterglow is about 10 times longer than conventional pigments and about 10 times brighter. The excitation wavelength is very broad 200-450nm. This powder is the new kind and is designed to be mixed with plastic, clear coat etc. to cause an extreme glow. commercial grade is not approved to use in soap, hair, skin, food etc., however, you will be amazed at the glow when it is used for manufacturing.

And all my days are trances And all my nightly dreamsAre where thy gray eye glances And where thy footstep gleams-In what ethereal dances By what eternal streams. Edgar Allan PoeThe prophet is a fool and the religious man is fucking mad, and for the multitude of your sense and your inequity, and the great hatred......NANCY BOY

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Who are 'they' (the people thast sell it).......... where can I gets me some?

So much fire, so little body hair...

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
this is all very interesting to me. *rubs chin* yes very interesting

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Where can I get some tonic water in the US? (What I'm really asking is what's the brand...)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Theres a little known bottling company known as "Coca Cola" which owns an even smaller bottling company called Segrams which bottles tonic water. Or perhaps you've heard of its new competitor upstart bottling company called "Pepsi" which bottles tonic water under it's subsidiary Schweppes.

I would look for any large grocery store that either carries what we Americans call "Pepsi" or "Coca Cola", they will have tonic water.

(silly kids!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
This is actually a good test if you order a G&T at a club, if the drink does not glow, the cheap asses used soda water instead of tonic! (Not that I have ever heard of this happening)

Also the ability to taste the bitterness of quinine is genetically inherited. Some people just can't taste it, whereas those who can end up pulling all kinds of funny distorted faces.

Grapefruit contains a natural quinine, so it would be interesting to see if grapefruit juice is UV reactive too. Next time you have a grapefruit, instead of sprinkling sugar on it, try a little salt and see if it is less bitter.

--
Edit:
I don't know if it glows enough for glowbreathing. Incidentally cat urine also glows under a UV light, but if you are looking at glowbreathing....maybe not
Non-Https Image Link

[ 12. November 2002, 17:15: Message edited by: Bendy ]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
That's interesting because I am a grapefruit fiend. Ive been known to eat 5 or 6 large grapefruit in 2 or 3 hours. People always say they hate grapefruit because it's bitter. I always thought they were missusing the word bitter to describe the sour taste of it. Because I could not taste any bitterness, just the sour/sweet combination that citrues fruits have. Apparently I have the recesive genes for tasteing quinine.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Damn, beaten to the quinine rant.

And here I thought all my years of dedicated drinking was about to benefit someone......

Jesus helps me trick people.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Coke sells tonic water? (uhh... what's tonic water? heh)

FoxFiremember
90 posts

Posted:
For those who actually care

"Tonic water is carbonated water flavored with fruit extracts, sugar and quinine."

Also:

"The flavoring agent quinine is a bitter alkaloid from the bark of the cinchona tree. It is used as the base flavor in most bitters, and is also used in the treatment of malaria."

Ta-da! Internet search engines always answer the call (ok, most of the time, anyway).

Deuteronomy 31:6
John 15:9
Luke 6:22

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
how brightly does the tonic glow?I must have the gene to taste the quinine cuz I cant stand tonic.I have prolly missed this already being aked but does it glow enuff to breath with it?

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Zoltar:
Who are 'they' (the people thast sell it).......... where can I gets me some?
the product is being shipped and packaged under the name LumiNova®. I believe Extreme Glow sells it

And all my days are trances And all my nightly dreamsAre where thy gray eye glances And where thy footstep gleams-In what ethereal dances By what eternal streams. Edgar Allan PoeThe prophet is a fool and the religious man is fucking mad, and for the multitude of your sense and your inequity, and the great hatred......NANCY BOY

Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
Heres a few web links that sells it: Glo Powder Extreme Glo

Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
Here;s another interesting web link UV and Tonic Water

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
i was just thinking that by the way that poweraid (or gatoraid) looks i might also glow under uv but i am yet to test theis theory.

Just a thought

Missie

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kinudin:
Coke sells tonic water? (uhh... what's tonic water? heh)
In Canada, coke sells tinic water as "Canada Dry"
not the ginger ale(alotta people know this by the Canada dry ginger ale, but its clear Canada dry

it works in black light and it tastes good too, it is pretty interesting but you have to blow directley at the black light, or it won't show very well

Dicipline Focus Damage