Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
Looking for a source of perspex rod. Something about 1 to 1.5 cm across. Need about a meter of it.

Why? Hoping to make decent LED poi, an LED staff and have a bit of a play. Glowsticks with the fluid drained don't carry the light as well. I hope to drill a small hole in the end, insert LED, and end up with a solid bar of light.

With the total fire ban it looks like we'll be having here in NSW, I'd rather not risk burning down a doof.

I'm about 1.5 hrs from sydney, but without a car at the moment.

--Luke

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Heya, im told the best stuff to use is the same stuff they put on the handles of shopping trolleys... Having imparted that little gem of knowledge, i must sadly now tell you that i have NO idea where to get any, and am desperately searching for some myself...

If you do find any, could youlet me know? trying to whiz up some LED gear myself, as i already have the LED's but no tubing...

Currently on the right side up of the world.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
There is something I have been meaning to investigate for a time. There is a place I go past everyday after work that sells perspex stuff. It is located in Pyrmont, on wattle street in Sydney. It appears to sell to the public. Might be worth investigating.

There are also some big plastics suppliers like this.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Oh, & you may have to bear the fact that an LED staff may not be a solid bar of light, it may fade a bit in the middle if the LEDs are at both ends. but don't worry, it actually looks really cool.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I've gone down the path of making my own electroglo staff. My DIY staff is flimsier than the staff u buy. plus clear acrylic is often too thick. plus they had to be extruded in germany (?) and sent over. why don't people make more clear acrylic tubes? then i realised that buying a set of electroglos is cheaper than ordering the minimum purchase amounts from these acrylic peeps.
plus acrylics burn real smelly

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
For the staff, I was thinking along the lines of aluminium tubing for body, with short 6"ish bits poking out the ends. Something about the length of a pen.

With the whole staff lighting up, you'd have nowhere to put your batteries, except on the very end, where it is most exposed to the angular velocities built up by twirling. Easy to break. If I do it right, I can get the batteries inside the staff, and possibly just unscrew the light bits from the end to get at the batteries inside.

I've been meaning to look at the tools involved in thread cutting anyway. If thats to much - I'm not buying a lathe for this project - not yet anyway - I'll just use duct tape, and unwind when I need to get at the battery.

Anyway, think darth maul staff, with longer middle bit, and smaller lighty bits on each end.

[ 04 November 2002, 17:29: Message edited by: Hecatonchires ]

--Luke

burnfestmember
26 posts

Posted:
Polycarbonated tubing is the way to go ..... can be found at your local plastic fabracation company .. maybe not so local but it is around. this stuff is virtually unbreakable.. cost about 15 dollars a metre and by getting the inside sand blasted makes the light spread nice and evenly down the tube ( little faded in the middle of course) however if you could find some kind of frosted film to put inside the tube...you should get the same affect.

[ 04 November 2002, 19:16: Message edited by: burnfest ]