.fireproof.member
56 posts

Posted:
this is a follow up question to how to get "cableless internet connection". With all your computer ware set up (dsl/phone line,laptop,wi-fi), there exists the power source... What I want to know is what kind of power source I would need, like what else is there besides generators for power sources?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
These things all run on wall current. So a generator would be the most convenient way to get 110 V AC out to the beach.

Now, if you want to get really fancy (and risk frying the electronics), most of these devices actually run on low-voltage DC (3 V to 12 V) so it would probably be possible to build a step-down transformer and voltage regulator so you could jack them directly in to, say, a 12 V car battery. I wouldn't attempt that without a few engineering courses, though. For all I know, there's an off-the-shelf device that does this, but I've never seen one.

PS: it would have been better to keep this in the existing thread.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Depending on how much wattage you'll need and how long you intend to run it (amps), a solar powered battery set could do the job.
Generators are noisy, polluting, and fuel-consuming. Solar power is quiet, free (once you bought the gear), and renewable.
I used to build and sell small portable solar power systems.
Now I just have a couple of web pages explaining how to make them yourself. (I am a dyed in the wool DIY guy.)
Instructions are here.
I use two kinds of 12V batteries. One is a car-sized marine battery that is a bitch to lug around. The other is made by Sears and is worn like a buttpack. Both plug into my inverters to make AC from DC, the strongest of which is 500 watts.
I always take the set-up to Burning Man and it gives our whole camp juice for the week.

Maximus

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Just to play devil's advocate, Maximus, don't assume that solar cells are actually environmentally friendly (although they're certainly quiete). A huge amount of environmental discharge is involved in their manufacture--so much so that there are probably high-efficiency gas engines that are more environmentally friendly. And let's not even get started on the batteries...

To steal a phrase, it's not easy being green.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Yes, adam, I will acknowledge those are important points...

.fireproof.member
56 posts

Posted:
All right, I got the basic visual for my beach event set-up....on an elevated flat out of reach from sand there rests this laptop choked with a wi-fi card. Actually, its my laptop that looks like it's choking the things huge! then you got the wireless broadband router which is connected in to my portable power source by way of ONE wire. neat, solar or not , there is just one wire in all of this.
WOO HOO!! count'em Two cyber gats weaving this gamut... so what else is a laptop called, since I learned HUB is really a wireless broadband router??? Come on don't be shy....