flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
DON'T PLAY WITH FIREWORKS!

Now we've got that out of the way, has anyone found any good sparklers for poi available in the shops this year? I bought 2 different types from Homebase this afternoon, both made by "black cat" and tried them tonight.

The coloured ones are quite short and are really rather crap. They burn in about 30 seconds when being spun and hardly any sparks come off. "Mega sparklers" are alright, but nothing special. Picture here.

I've never used sparklers before today, is it safe to attach more than one to each poi? I only did forwards/backwards weave today for safety reasons (ie they add several inches onto my poi and i don't want to hit myself). I've read comments on scare mungering gov sites that they burn at 1800 degrees celcius, how do they compare when being hit by them to being hit by kevlar (the one time one hit me it just left some soot).

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Sparklers are overrated. They're long, so you have to shorten whatever you're spinning with, they don't put out much light or that many sparks, they don't burn for long, and when they hit you they really hurt. They're also really hard to get lit at the same time! And I've had them go out frequently too.

Saying that, I got in the paper spinning with them on Primrose Hill (London, UK) bonfire night last year. Weren't any other firespinners around though...

Go try and make those ones with the wire wool that people keep talking about.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
>Sparklers are overrated. They're long, so you
>have to shorten whatever you're spinning with,
>they don't put out much light or that many
>sparks, they don't burn for long, and when they
>hit you they really hurt. They're also really
>hard to get lit at the same time! And I've had
>them go out frequently too.

Yes lighting was a problem. I used them in conjunction with kelvar wicks, and holding a sparkler in the kevlar flame for 10 seconds does nothing. Haven't hit myself, i don't intend on doing any moves where I'm remotely likely to either.

>Go try and make those ones with the wire wool
>that people keep talking about.

Love to, but I think I need to find a big open space and a full biker suit and helmet before i try that, i'm not quite enough of a nutter to do it wearing a tshirt in my back garden

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever seen those spark fountains you can get at firework shops? They shoot out a huge fountain of sparks. they are short and stubby sort of. ive only seen small ones I don't know how big they can get. But they certainly make a lot more sparks then sparkler sticks, and probably hurt less then steel wool.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
It's not only the problem of hitting yourself with sparklers.... I was spinning some the other nite and chains got tangled behind my head, sparklers hit together, partly shattered, and little sparkling bits went down back of my top - owch.

So much fire, so little body hair...