.fireproof.member
56 posts

Posted:
mY GIRLFRIEND IS LEAVING FOR cAMBODIA, iNDIA, AND mALAYSIA IN TEO DAYS. SHE IS TRAVELING WITH HER POI SET AND SO FAR, FOR PROTECTION AGAINST SECURITY, SHE'S GOT DISASSEMBLED POI WITH UNUSED KEVLAR, ISOPROPANOL, AND NO PAPERWORK. i GUESS WHAT WE WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT EXPERIENCES PEOPLE HAVE HAD WITH TRAVELING THROUGH AIRPORTS WITH FIRETOYS AND IF YOU THINK WE NEED TO CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THE SET-UP.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Leave the isopropanol behind--there's no way that'll get past.

Once the kevlar is used, she may have trouble getting past security, though what the checkpoints are like in a Cambodian airport, I can only imagine. I'd consider pre-making a bunch of towel wicks and discarding the used ones each time she moves on.

Burned wicks might be able to get through as checked baggage--I haven't tried.

Oh yeah--turn off caps lock.

[ 18 October 2002, 02:58: Message edited by: adamrice ]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Never had a problem with used poi or chains on international flights in checked bagage. No way I'd bring them on though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
In checked luggage, used poi is fine.

Putting long chains in your carry on bag might be tough for security to let through.

Raph

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
ok, considering this topic was dead in october, I'm wondering if anybody had traveled recently with used wicks, chains, and more specifically Beaming Balls. I would like an answer from anyone if they can help me on this topic. Thanks lots everyone!

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Um, I went through American security (Miami) with a pair of wire firepoi in my rucksack, without them asking anything.

Admittedly, it was a really stupid thing to do.

The security here was so high that they even x-rayed my shoes and did a pat down search. But they didn't ask about the poi. Meh.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird:
The security here was so high that they even x-rayed my shoes and did a pat down search.
there was a guy that put exlosives in his shoes and tried to blow up a plane not long after 911, so that must have been why

Dicipline Focus Damage

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Please see this thread :

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005054#000000

Hope this helps!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
lol i would but it doesnt exist any more. any updates on laws etc regarding used poi on planes, cos me and my family are going on holiday in the summer and me and my bro wanna spin on the beach, but dont wanna have to get new heads to go out there and leave them out there when we come back

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi matey,
This question is a regular of course; lotsa threads on it elsewhere but my pooter is a little slow loading this morning so I won't do the search-and-show poke wink

In general there is no problem with used gear in checked luggage at all.

My mates have carried used gear through airports loads of times: more times than many peeps have hot dinners. They do fire for a living, travel internationally...most recently this morning.... get checked with explosives residue sensors regularly. Our stuff is NOT what security is looking for.. it is REAL explosives like bomb making gear that are being looked for.

So for puny little fire gear, clean it up nicely, Wrap everything up in plastic, with gaffer tape or any other way you can put a good seal on it... put it in a bag in a bag. Lock bag, check in. Relax. Check out. Play. Repeat.

Don't go asking them what the laws are or whatever cos that is just more likely to make them play 'safe'. If you are just taking poi there isn't even any reason at all to mention it. If you are taking loads of staffs in a long bag, don't mention to the ground staff that it has anything to do with fire...just call it sports gear if asked (my mate's gear bag is huge and ground staff just assume it's skis...)

If you want to be utterly utterly sure (cos you use a smelly fuel like kero...) you could also wash the wicks with hot water and detergent the day before and let them dry in the sun (or wherever) first. We used to do that but it is not necessary it seems, particularly as they use not smelly fuels.

The other part of your question is sourcing fuels where you go. Most places have lamp oil or paraffin..
Happy travels!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Try [Old link] thread.
Or [Old link]
Or [Old link]
Or [Old link]
Or [Old link]
Or [Old link]
Or [Old link]
Or one of the many other threads that's out there.
It doesn't take 2 minutes to do a search. wink

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Nice poke Mand smile

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

Nice poke Mand smile

ditto

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i posted here cos he search thing wasnt working, so thank you!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Search not working? Just in case this is of use (cos it took me a while to figure out)...
the best way to search threads is not the big Google search box at the very top of the page .. rather to click on the 'search' written in small type just at the top of the posts... next to where it says welcome...between 'main index' and 'my home'...

Cheers
happy travels

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
thats what i did but there were a few days when it wasnt working, the source was broken and it just came up with random HTML code

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
You can run the same search function directly from google, just prepend the search with site:www.homeofpoi.com

So, for instance, to search for firewhip info, use the following:
site:www.homeofpoi.com firewhip

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"