fire and icemember
9 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know where I can find kevlar on Vancouver Island?... I'm in Victoria, but I've given up searching here.
I'm getting tired of making coupletime-use wicks.
Thanks!

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
trust me you can't!!! I live in Black Creek up Island. you have to order it in from somewhere else

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

fire and icemember
9 posts

Posted:
Aarrrrrghhh!!!!
I hate ordering stuff.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Why do you hate ordering stuff, F&I?

If we are going to have a hobby such as firedancing, we need to expect that there's going to be hardly any retail stores selling our gear.

Anyway, Home of Poi sells wick here look about halway down the page and from what I've heard, it can arrive a lot faster than you think...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I live in the 4th largest city in the United States, a country which is the world's undesputable retail behemouth, and I still have to order it from an on-line source.

Time for you to face the internet retail demon me
thinks!

the HOP shop has always given me good service anyway, so don't fret too much.

-v-

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
hey im a mainlander and i have not found any in vancouver yet still lookin but for now try fiber glass not the insulation stuff but the kind used for making boats and canoes and stuff there are many types of weaves. chop mat works well so does roven but i found weave that is used for heavy patching work and it is choice it can be found at most any fiberglass supply shop around look for a fiber tek supplier in vic they can get kevlar as well but have not tried it yet because it is a speacial order and im not that patient yet but as mentioned in other threads most kevlars may not be the cats ass! some worry that the stuff is itchy but i cant say ive had much itching at all and i use em all the time and they last for ever and as an added bonus it's cheap

good will hunting

swift out

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

fire and icemember
9 posts

Posted:
mucho gracias, Swifty.
ooohh... I'm getting excited just thinking of it.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
hmmm... looks for clement. he was telling me about a manufacturer of kevlar on the mainland. I should get him to give me their address

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

fire and icemember
9 posts

Posted:
I looked for fibreglass and found it easily. So I went to the shop yesterday and lo and behold they sell Kevlar! But damn that stuff is expensive. So I bought fibreglass anyway. I haven't spun with it yet, but we'll see how it goes.

I told the guy in the shop that I wanted it for firedancing, and he had no idea if it would work. But he cuts it off the roll for me, I pay for it, and then he says, "You know that stuff isn't fire retardant- it's going to burn." And of course I can't return it then- the Bastard! But I took it home and tried to light it on fire and it doesn't catch.

So if anyone here wants to pay me 20 bucks I'll tell you where the store is- heh heh.

Just kidding- Industrial Plastics and Paints at the corner of Government and Pembroke (Victoria). Can I get in trouble for posting someone's store on the web? Oh well.

[ 17 October 2002, 08:41: Message edited by: fire and ice ]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
no, they'll be so grateful, they owe you an advertising fee!

this is amazing, don't know any street store in SoCal which sells kev except a tourist one that sells kev tape for some crazy other use in lil plastic bags, only 2 or 3 feet in a bag.

what does this Plastics and Paints store sell it for, as far as it thinks its customers want?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Well seeing as how I am the only person in my class that has never been to Victoria. I would say tht there is an extremely high crime rate there, and they sell it for making bulletproof vests

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
I lucked out!!! I looked thru the phone book and made cold calls that led me to a manufacturing warehouse for clothing for lumberjacks (use kevlar so they can't saw thru their overalls), fire proof jackets,, etc for industry people who need this stuff as a uniform. I went there and they gave me free samples of different kevlar materials, 60%mixes - 100%. It was enough material to last me forever!!! I have given some to "my students" as well. And I was in Calgary of all places. There has got to be something out on the island, or somewhere on the mainland, due to the large forestry industry in B.C.. Good luck. I know prices for these materials are up there, this way for me was free.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
The place in Van that I am talking about sells it for $4.95 canadian a foot. or was that meter

fire and icemember
9 posts

Posted:
Shizer!
it's $35 bucks a yard. But it's cloth so you have to make it into your own wicks. The fibre glass was $6. I used it on Saturday and it only goes for about 5 minutes. Sucks.

So I'm going to add on more and make the wicks really big. Hopefully that'll do something.

But as for what they sell the Kevlar for I really don't know. I didn't ask.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
hmmm... Luxotica.com kevlar is $3.50/ft CD, Dube.com kevlar is $1.75/ft Am

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Tanessa, give us the contact info for this manufacturer, will ya?

fire and ice, you too

kevlar cloth would be. . .i'll be dying, dying, flying, seeing what i could make of it!

thanx much

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US