Page:
Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
i work at a marina and the boats are required to have these hardcore signal flares on board. almost exactly like the ones you see on the road around car accidents but brighter. so i was wondering if anyone out there has ever secured string to the ends and spun them around? it would prolly look totally cool. i guess you couldnt hit yourself at all though cuz they prolly burn pretty friggin' hot. so have any of you done it or heard of it before? im tempted to use a smiley but i wont.

From the makers of soylent green.

ZaphodBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
My friend thought about doing this exxact thing. The only thing I'd really be concerned about is the melted liquid goo that comes off of the flares. Although, the goo itself doesn't burn your skin if it drips on you, which is really odd.

But if you could figure out a way that the melted stuff wouldn'f fly off everywhere and potentailly start a fire, I'd say go for it.

DON'T PANIC

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We chatted about this before but never found anyone who did it... I think...

Some other concerns were the smoke.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
https://www.ravedigital.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=dd
59a4a095ac283a13b5ea6dce2c0faa;act=ST;f=9;t=1605

[ 06 October 2002, 19:29: Message edited by: Ender ]

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
[ender] i cant get that link to work. i registered and everything. help?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Any way you can cut and paste for us nonravers?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
oh sorry ok lemme see...

original question by someone:
quote:
i was thinking this the other day did anyone ever try glowsticking with flares or whatnot? and are they brighter then ultras?

then replys:

quote:
hmm that would be interesting... send me a clip/ photo if u ever do.
quote:
ive done it

DOOOnt do it, somtimes that shit hurts!

quote:
not a good idea.
quote:
did it... and i didnt have eyebrows for 2 months after a head trace
quote:
hahahaahahah... damn would suck to try a dick trace with some flares
quote:
hehehehe .... i hope u guys know that i was jk ehheeh
quote:
no they want to see the vid paul hehe
quote:
That would be pretty funny if it was true Paul... LOL!!! No Eyebrows... Even by my standards thats so unattractive
quote:
ive done it before only a figure 8 though cuz the glame hurts and this plasticy shit in it melted out and landed on my arm it was hard to get off and it felt hotter than the flame kinda hurt
quote:
lol... omg... you guys.... nevermind
quote:
LoL ok *scribbles sticking with flares outta notepad*

quote:
and people give high people a hard time for what reason now....hmmmm

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
well i guess that settles it. thats prolly enough negative feedback for me not to try it. and i was so hopeful. id still like to see someone else do it though. ill have to double dog dare one of my idiot friends to try it.

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
eh, give me a few days to get real bored and decide to do a few more stupid things before my wedding and i'll post pics *looks around* now where i did i put the leather armour...

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
[trintek] i double dog dare you. no, i TRIPLE dog dare you!

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
damn, now i feel like one of your idiot friends

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
im tempted to edit.

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
LOL sure, make me out to be the one who started that part of the thread

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
well on the plus side, teh 2 guys who did try it are still alive and can type (obviously)

so it cant be THAT bad eh?

post pics plzkthx

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
will do, going through my 4 pyro kits now (double reinforced aluminum breifcases with 3 locks and an expansion chamber) to try and find where i stored all the road flares..

i'll tell you right now though, these are going to be way low end.. full hood, full leather covering, welding gloves (which is gonna be hell with my previous injuries), and heavy upper armour (ie: reinforced leather chest cover and shoulder cover)...

not taking chances with anything that spits out molten sulphur and such... check back later tonight, should have pics up on this thread

--trin

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
may the schwartz be with you trin. if your fiance' catches you, blame it on me. lookin' fwd to the pics.

[ 08 October 2002, 11:47: Message edited by: Locofly ]

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
found the flares, found the armour, now need to find the digital cam and some batteries, if all goes well, will have a few pics up within an hour or so..

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
ok, here's the deal... they spit... a lot... they look killer though, and, with the armour, it doesnt matter that i hit myself twice

either way, pics will follow, but, the guy taking the pics is my safety and never used the cam before, so, they probably wont show good trails.. (he left the flash on) either way, it'll give you an idea of the effect..

i cut a roadflare into thirds.. attached 2/3 to the chains, used the 3rd with the striker as the lighter (left it on the ground to relight the poi if they died)

pix will follow in a few, recharging the batteries

--trin

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
ok, here's some small ones, gonna post large ones and hopefully new ones on the website later..

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

[ 08 October 2002, 16:43: Message edited by: trintek ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Good stuff trintek! Thanks for givin it a try!

What do you mean by "they split alot"?

As in "they send flying bits of lit flare flying about"?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
sulphur man, loads of it, thats why it doesnt burn you really... low melting point, but, still dangerous as hell... have 3 more flares here, hoping my bro finds his cam so i can get some lapse photos showing the color and patterns instead of the tiny trails i got with my cam..

but yeah, it spits, the sulphur doesnt burn totally and flys all over the place, i made zeke stand a good 20 feet or so back, and had a person with a wet towel cover themselves and peek out for the most part... wanted a safety, didnt want to risk their safety though

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
dunno if the pics will be up tonight or not, but... took the last two flares and hooked them up to shorter chains, so, shouldn't have the 'dying in mid spin' problem.. will definately get some pics and have em up here soon

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
New FlarePoi Pix

k, i take it all back, sulphur burns it hurts, and damn me for not wearing the gloves, and damn my pinkie for getting hit so this is now a 'don't try this, it's a good way to get burned' rating... either way, here's a few small versions of the new pics, all roadflare, 1/4 second or so exposure time.. didnt want to spin fast due to the large amounts of stuff flying out of the flares (almost nailed my new camera guy 6-7 times)

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

will post all of them later on the tribes site when i set up the gallery, watch this thread to be informed when.

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
as promised, here's the full pic set of the flare poi... remember, i'm a trained idiot, don't try this at home... if you do, wear lots of leather..

Tribes Flare Gallery (Fixed Link)

[ 09 October 2002, 08:42: Message edited by: trintek ]

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
[Trintek} THOSE PICS ROCK DUDE! you are my new personal hero taking the place of mike tyson. seriously good stuff man. i cant believe you actually tried it and got pics. hope the finger's ok!

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
well, i'm working on becoming the resident HoP village idiot If it's doable, and i can get pix, i'll probably try it (no this doesnt include setting myself on fire and jumping into a pool).

the finger's healed already, but thanx i think the real reason not to try it is, it throws too much stuff around, looks damn cool though irl, and unfortunately the pics dont show one of the better parts about them. They spotlight areas while you spin since the force of spinning them dislodges the tip and ends up with the flares burning in the casing.. Kind of like spinning spotlight torches.

--trin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
right on locofly! trinitek, that's tres coolness. Now you've shown us the way to get flares back into fashion(!) ^_^

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
just wondering...why would these be any more dangerous than sparkly poi?

BTW, how do you make those?

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
Flares went out of fashion?! *hides his box-o-flares*

quote:
just wondering...why would these be any more dangerous than sparkly poi?

BTW, how do you make those?
Never underestimate the power of duct-tape my child. seriously though, i drilled a hole through the clay end piece, then used a piece of baling wire to make a connection loop.

To me its as dangerous as sparkly poi when it comes to fire hazard, more dangerous to spectators as, well, erm.. drop a small hot ash on yourself (sparkly poi), then melt some sulphur and pour it on your hand see the difference

[ 10 October 2002, 16:51: Message edited by: trintek ]

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
hmmmm. If I can get the flares, I am stupid enough to try this on Sat.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
oh sure, just trash my attempt to be the village idiot seriosuly though, keep an extinguisher or a bucket of water around and wear lots of leather.. after the first set of pics (the crap ones) i found that the armour was overkill really, so just kept my long suede coat on that i use when working with hot metal, welding, or grinders. Not a huge precaution, but, i'm certain its better than a roadflare burn

Page: