master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
so I was just wondering if there is really any differences in the thickness of wicking (1/8 vs. 1/16) rather then the obvious fact you need to use twice as much 1/16. will the 1/16 wear out faster, not hold fuel as well, or anything else I might need to know aboot?

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
The 1/8" stuff is preferable for poi and staff. In my experience, it seems to be more durable. Similar quantities of 1/8 and 1/16 wicking will give you similar burn times.

I reserve the 1/16 stuff for things like finger wands, where I'm using a very small amount of wicking. Below a certain size, the 1/8 wicking is awkward to work with.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
sodium
1/16th wicking is real thin and doesnt hold as much fuel hence shorter burn time .. as far as holding up for what i use it for seems to hold up as good if not better the the thicker wicking
but then again it only burns half as long i use 1/16 on my fire floggers with it triple thick
i still only get about a 2 min burn time ..
as far as using it on a poi wick even know it is alot cheaper your going to have to buy alot more and i find it harder to work with
I use 1/8 or 1/4 for poi but the 1/4 doesnt fold as nice as the 1/8 for making wicks but works great on staves. but it is expensive almost 5 bucks a ft in bulk ... good luck
buy the 1/8 if will work the best

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
the reason I'm wondering is I found some 1/16"thick 4"wide wicking for less then half the price of the cheapest I had found yet in the 1/8"thickness. just wondering if it would be worth it, or if I would still be better off with the 1/8"

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.