Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire Eating and Torch construction

Login/Join to Participate

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
Don't know if I should file this one here, or under "other toys". Lets give it a shot here.

I built some torches for fire eating, worked myself up to it with some safties around, etc, etc, and quite liked it.

Problem: The torch design I used involves glueing the wick material to the torch handle. School glue sets up well under heat, and they seemed to handle the heat with no problems. BUT, coleman fuel (and most every other kind of fuel) is a strong solvent. I don't want sooty kerosene in my mouth, but the white gas keeps dissolving the glue out of the torch heads. What to do?

Also, I've tried eating with torches made from wire as the handle, and burned my lips in the process. So, I decided to use wood after the first try with wire didn't work out so well. The problem is that any piece of wood small enough to fit comfotably inside my mouth once wrapped in wicking is small enough to be burned through quite quickly. What to do?

Thanks folks

[ 16 September 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: Tracered ]

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

Mal Fortunemember
10 posts

Posted:
I use both metal and wood-handled torches. I don't get burned with the metal - I keep contact time to a minimum and keep my lips moist with saliva before eating.

With wooden torch handles, I used fire-resistant tape, which I bought from a plumb centre, and wrapped it around a portion of the handle. It works well. I've also had success glueing on kitchen foil.

Mal

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I used a piece of broom stick for my handle and then drilled a hole in the end so that I could screw a piece of bar (with screw thread on it) into the end.

I then wired on the wick, this was done cunningly so that there was no wire exposed around the wick, the only problem with mine is you have to be careful as I have also used a nut either side of the wick and these will get hot during performance.

P

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
PS - A very good way to make them is to buy a couple of BBQ tools they have a wooden handle already and you can just saw off the end part add kevlar and hey prosto you got yourself an eating or breathing tool