Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
What kinds of cameras do you use to get those great shots with the flame trails?

Is it just using a slow shutter speed, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the help!

Raphael

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
yeah with the digital camera you need to look for a good one that you can easily vary the shutter speed on - taking longer exposure snaps allows you to see a lot more of the trails.

P

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice!

I just ordered a digital which should be perfect for taking fire pics!

I can't wait to get it!!

Raphael

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
*Bump*

Instead of starting a new thread i found this one, but was also wondering now that digital cameras's have become a lot more advanced is the shutter speed all that matters.

I am looking to buy a digital camera and was just wondering if there are any other features i should look out for? Any info would be Much Appreciated.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
actually i'd be interested in that too, because i've got a slightly older digi camera and it will only give me fairly small tails....what sort of camera should we be looking for?
help thankx bye

------------------------------------------------------------

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i would say that now, even low cost digital cams have extended exposure levels.

Its normaly hidden away in the menus of teh cammeras

i can only talk about what i have played with, but my fave is KODAK DIGITAL CAMERA
this is teh digital cam my best mate has, and it has upto a two sec exposure i think

these were taken with his cammera, so you can see what heppens

i have the EOS 300D @ 900notes digital slr so i have some really long exposures, but teh higher res you go teh bigger pics you get taht you have to crop and resize, this is a pain in teh arse, when you take 200odd pics and they all ahve to be shrunk and cropped to get teh pic ready for sharing?

anyways, if you wnat more help, pm me or repost here!

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I use a Canon Powershot S400 and it works out beautifully. It's about slow shutter speed.. you can figure out timing based on the spinner's style.. and flash to actually get the person visible.. and getting up close.. and messing around with the ISO depending on ambient light.

E pluribus unum, baby.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I have the Canon Powershot A80 which takes some really nice photo's on long exposure. You can take up to 16s IIRC. For some examples, take a look here. Some examples :

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: FireGeeK (1086618076)

Cake or Death?

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Absolutely Beautifull photo's FireGeek
I'll be coming to Bristol next week - would love to hook-up and take soem piccies -
Y camera a DV 5000 - not that great - but does take Vid too
PM me for mobile number to hook-up
Im going down to the Falmouth gathering thing the following weekend - if you fancy a lift -OR anyone for that matter

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I have/use a konica minolta dimage z1. You can alter the shutter speed as much as you want, it takes video, has a pretty good zoom, so your friends or you can take pictures without having to be too close.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Buy the best digital camera you can afford. biggrin You know what they say.... if it works... it's obsolete. The good news is that the cameras are getting much better and much cheaper too. Try working out your rear flash settings. That way you still get your trail and then right before the shutter curtain closes, the flash goes off freezing the performer. smile If the performer is moving around a bit, try a little panning shot (it'll help blur everything else but the subject).... hope it helps...

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
A variable shutter speed and a variable contrast on the camera would probably maximise your shot quality.
I was given a Kodak Easyshare for Christmas. It's 2 megapixels and doesn't have a great shutter speed changer, but it does have different shot modes such as auto, dark, scenery, etc. Dark would give me the slowest shutter speed, therefore longer trails and maximum light allowance without the need of a flash.

That's my two cents anyhow. I hope that helps smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
one last thing I'd like to add - autofocus on cameras often gets really touchy with taking pictures of fire performers (especally mine after about 5 minutes for some reason). A lot of digital cameras don't have manual focus. but the next one I buy will, that is for sure!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
it's weird, mine you can change, but the autofocus actually takes better pictures....just my 2 cents

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i've got a Cannon Powershot A75 which is pretty good....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
for brighter night shots that don't rely so much on lengethening exposure, get a camera that can accept a wide angle conversion lens, cuz you can get in closer while keeping all the fire luvliness in frame, resulting in a brighter image!
plus when you're closer you can get more fur definition, which is important if you're into rhesus monkeys.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DFZBRONZE Member
313 posts

Posted:
I'm Thinking about getting an SlR camera instead of a dgital as Digital SlR's are too expensive. I think an Slr camera will give me enough options with fire twirling and any other pictures i may wish to take.

-- Steven Wright

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
mid range pro-sumer cameras have manual controls.
i use the older version of the pentax s4, and itsa crazygood for fire photos.
and rude ones too. angel

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i would say then if you are going 35mm slr, maybe you should look at either the canon eos range (LOVERLY CAMS!) or maybe pantax, or nikon?

Step (el-nombrie)

DFZBRONZE Member
313 posts

Posted:
Funny You should Say that Because i Was looking at the Canon Eos 3000n, or something like that. Checked it out and all the review rekon it's a great camera to start with and has enough features to keep you busy for a year. After that might look at buying a more professional one but only learning now so should do me fine.
EDITED_BY: DFZ (1089593272)

-- Steven Wright

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
personally, for 35mm slr, it never EVAR gets better than an A-1 from Canon ubblove