DeadManWalkin30member
25 posts

Posted:
i've seen a lot of them on martial arts suppliers web pages, but has anyone ever tried one, it sounds like it would stop a lot of pain. I have foam nunchucks, and they're great, no pain and they're heavier then my wooden ones.

Fanaticus Incendi -Pyromaniac

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah they hurt less on impact, but i find that the foam staff that i tried would be bad for my wrist in the long term, because you will not be conditioned to twirl heavy staves if you prefer that kinda thing. throws with fire are made more dangerous when you expect the staff to behave diferently foam's best advantage is that allows the most experimentation with the least pain - ya flinch less and explore more!
A cheaper and more reliable system would be to make furry and/or padded covers for your wicks so that you are perfectly conditioned for your staff's weight and weight distribution.
remember to use fake fur tho, or you will be reincarnated as a minx!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I have been in martial arts for a long time, and I have never heard of anyone useing a foam staff for anything besides (low belt) sparring. As far as solo training goes staff is usually pretty painless.

I have a ten pound peice of steel pipe that I use for practicing my Martial arts techniques. My practice fire staff weighs about eight. I find that it improves my performance and technique very much.

Where did you find foam practice chucks that are heavier than hardwoods? I would really like a pair if you would care to share that information. I have never seen any, usually it's just foam coverd PVC tubing.

Jesus helps me trick people.

DeadManWalkin30member
25 posts

Posted:
I got my foam chucks at a flea market in PA, for like $8, but my wood are considerably light, so that may be the reason. And I've hit myself plenty of times with a staff while parcticing, and I too practice with a piece of steel, mostly after blind tosses.

Fanaticus Incendi -Pyromaniac