--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
I bought my electroglo poi a few months back - they;re wicked at first..easy to use,light weight and fairly bright.

I've been having loads of problems with mine recently. Mine are red & blue. The blue is great,really bright but it flickers on and off frequently. Probably a loose connection but its really annoying when you;re in the middle of a spin and the poi dips into darkness. damned evil things!
the red is worse - really dim (yes i've replaced the batteries!) and also flickers.

any ideas??

was thinking of buying some beamers. What d'ya reckon? the beauty of electroglos is that they can be spun when wasted - not too bad if you whack yourself.

hmmmmm....also means dipping into my travelling fund to buy beamers or more electroglo poi.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You need to contact Malcolm directly about the poi.

I believe the red is not as bright as the blue.

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
Hey try folding up some kitchen foil faily loosely and puting it in between the battery and the conection, mine did that after I wacked them together, but now there fine, my green is a little dim but hey I'll figure that out eventually I think it is a flat battery in mine,

So try the tin foil and you should be fine from the flickering and darkness

Cheers
Brashie

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
cool. will try the foil tonite.

is there any way of changing the actual led light?
My mate has offered to change the red light to make it brighter but the thing is firmly glued and i don't want to force it and break it.
any other briGHT ideas??

oooh-& how bright is the green electroglo poi? as good as the blue?

all these questions...

cheers guys x

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
Red light does not travel as well as others lke blue and yellow.I would have to recommend the 'beaming" poi theyre pretty cheap and well worth it.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I'm currently looking for something a bit more safe than fire for practicing at night/using to demonstrate whilst less than sobar. I've been giving serious thought to getting glo sticks and attaching them to the end of my practise poi, but then i found these ones.

The thing is they are listed in the "advanced" section of the shop. I personally wouldn't consider myself as an advanced performer and certainly don't want to use anything which is a) going to break if they hit each other or b) hurt like f*** if they hit me. Obviously these have metal cable not string, but I already use steal cabled fire poi. I noticed at 9 inches they are pretty long, but surely electric tubes arn't as painful/dangerous than flaming kevlar? What do people who have tried them think?

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
elctroglo poi are not too bad when u whack ureself =- far less painful than fire or beamers!!
go for it - best poi i've ever bought!!!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Electroglo poi are fantastic - mine are still really bright after a month of use and they've taken some real batterings (my head came off worse ).
They're a bit too light for me though, so I'm going to try to fit some washers at the ends.
I've taken the cable off too because I didn't like it pulling out arm hair - they've now got paracord threaded through with monkeyfist knots at the ends.
Actually, considering that I've added some extra LEDs at the other ends of the tube (so they now glow blue at one end, green at the other), there's only really the handle that I havn't changed in some way - maybe not a fantastic advert for them, but I do heartily recommend them.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Here's some tips that I'll share with ya... tee hee. Never listen to somebody when they tell you shaving will rid you of crab infestations... and as for your glo-poi problems, when replacing the batts. wear gloves (rubber), your own body can absorb some of it's power, and gloves will give you a fuller batt. for much longer, and therefore brighter LED.

Also, try to glue your LED's in to place, if you haven't already, this will just keep them still... and pretty soon you'll be poi-ing your head off again...

Non-Https Image Link

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cool thanks for the input. I will probably order myself some of these soon. Is blue the brighest colour by far then? I'd quite like one blue, one red, but i want bright as possible. I noticed in the few pictures i've found that they are a lot brighter at one end (i guess where the light source is). They are 9 inches long, but roughly how much can you really see when they are spinning?

Whilst I can see the point in steel cable for lit poi, i think i too will replace the cable on these with strong string. I'm also seriously considering getting myself a box (the thing cricketters wair). Hitting myself in the nuts with my tennis ball poi is bad enough, not being a sadist i don't want to permenantly impair my other favourite hobby with something heavier!

Kamamember
19 posts

Posted:
My blue electroglo poi arrived today.They are very bright and I luv 'em.Thanxs Bovril Monkey for letting me try yours out. They are very light so very different from beaming balls. The LED is in one end but it lights the whole tube up.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
flid, I found a pair of socks or two stuffed down my trousers helped loads to stop me writhing around on the floor in agony after a nut-shot, as it were - depending on the cost of a box, it may well be worth a try with the socks instead.

Kama, no problem, that means it was well worth me going to Clapham, despite lying on the grass most of the time and hitting myself loads when I actually did spin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cool, i'll order some in the next few days. Right now i'm spending from my budget for my next term at uni. At this particular point in time a pair of electroglo poi seem a lot more important than 4 days worth of food

i can't see a box costing more than a few quid, but socks will surfice in the meantime!

GlowJedimember
13 posts

Posted:
I've been using my electropoi for every Friday and Saturday for at leaast four hours every night at the club where I work. I haven't had any major problems. I've taken the cable off and replaced it with my dog leashes that I use. I also put a LED in each end of the poi to make a brighter impact on the people watching. For an added twist, I then put a glowstick of a contrasting color on the ends so I get a very colorful show every time. (Green poi with purple glow, and blue poi with yellow)

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
flid - i've got 1 blue & 1 red. the blue one is brillient - really bright. but i found that my red isn't as good. could be that they're well used - who knows...?!

my red one is completly broken now, the casing on the led is cracked and doesn't wrk at all. i saw in the HOP shop that you can get the led thing seperatly. anyone tried that? is it the actual led light? i was thinking about ordering one to replace the broken red one.

x

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah cable is not my liking - i replaced my electroglo twine with 3mm ballchain - they tangle heaps less and do not hurt as much. I have sought the same elements (they were the only things avaiable before the electroglo poi came out - i went thru 4 of 'em and gave ujp designing!)

in all my twirling time, i say the home of poi electroglo is the best level of lighting while still not being risky (ie painful weight or in flames.) i'd still practice on soft poi tho, cus the acrylic though light is not likely to even bend in human use! (love fire more tho!)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I don't suppose anyone is geeky enough to know the mcd (millicandela) values of the LEDs used in these poi (or in the beaming poi)?

I'm giving serious thought to constructing my own now. Maplin in the UK sell Toshiba 7000 mcd LEDs (designed for safety use) for about 70p inc vat, so for under a tenner each poi could have 6 leds, giving a massive 42 candlepower rating per poi.

With a 9V PP3 battery housed in a small plastic holder, the LEDs stuck to the outside, the cord tidied into the battery casing and the whole unit wrapped in clear bubblewrap (to difuse the light and provide soft padding against collision) and sellotape i reckon it'd do the trick quite nicely. Not as fun as fire thou, but good for practising alone.

On a side note of non fire poi construction, I discovered by accident that the string I'm using on my homemade practice poi is made of plastic fibers and can be melted. This means that instead of just tying it around the handles/inside the balls (which so far has failed more than once) it can be melted to form a much stronger joint.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hummm, intresting flid, lettus know how you get on, maybe there be some sales innit. Arnt the leds the new stlye high power numbers, like they use in traffic lights now? I know my bikelights have 4 of thease running off 2 aa batteries.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
LEDs have been used in traffic lights on the continent (france i know for sure) for quite a few years now.

I also have leds on my bike lights which are very powerful. I don't know the mcd values of the LEDs in these (its not the average thing you get in the idiot guide instructions), but the maplin ones are described as "suitable for use in outdoor signboards, safety equipment and any application which requires an LED to be visible in high ambient light". At 7000mcd they are supposidly approx 350 times brighter than standard LEDs.

I'll probably give it a go in a couple of weeks time when i'm back at uni, and post the results.

As for sales, not sure I'd want to buy something made with bubblewrap and sellotape