Markusmember
18 posts

Posted:
Hi have been doing fire poi for around a month and would really like to know which is the less smelliest fuel to use. As my neighbours have complained about the smell....

Have used white spirit and parrafin but both seem abit on the smelly side would love suggestions..

May your heart be your guide and your love your light....

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
If they sell Lamplight Farms lamp oil - smokeless and odorless, ultra pure, the smell isn't too strong, although it is not quite odorless. Maybe you could give it a try.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
complained about the Smell!

gawd I love the english.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
How could anyone hate a smell as wonderfull as Kerosine?????

Jesus helps me trick people.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
C'mon Sickpuppy you have to admit it does sometimes get a bit much, it seems like over the last 10 months absolutely everything I own has picked up the wonderful aroma of paraffin

I did at one stage find some stuff called 'Parascent' which promised to make the paraffin smell nice. I added a little too much I think as it was hard to dispense and all that could be smelt while spinning was an overwhelming smell of parma violet sweets! (needless to say I have no idea where this is now and have no intention of trying to find it again )

Maxim, paraffin/kero is definately my preferred fuel at the moment due to the nice flame it gives, I havent tried lamp oil as yet but that is a fairly good alternative apparently. If you really want fuels that dont smell then try something like denatured alcohol but with these the flames are quite a lot weaker.

The other alternative is to leave the safety of your back garden and find a nice open park where your neighbours wont be able to complain

Mark P

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
You can try using naptha (Zippo lighter fluid). It still has a bit of an odor, but not as much as white gas or Kero. It's going to get pricey though, as naptha is really expensive comparitively.

But are you shure it's the smell they're having problems with, or do you think that they might be using that as an excuse because they're afraid you might burn their house down? That happend to a friend of mine once.

[ 25 August 2002, 07:03: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
I only use citronella. It reeks.

From the makers of soylent green.

YamaTEKmember
30 posts

Posted:
It might reek, but there are NOOO mosquitos in your neighborhood!

---------------Did I say Corpse Hatch? I meant innocence tube.ENOUGH PHILOSOPHY, LET'S FART!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
We use Firewater from juggleart.com

Great stuff; virtually odourless and not too expensive when purchased in bulk.

Maybe you can contact them and see if they know of any overseas suppliers that might be able to help you out.

Good luck!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

rob100member
1 post

Posted:
I agree wholeheartedly - firewater is by far the best fuel I've come across... And at around the same price as kero (in Oz, anyway), you'd be mad not to!