Posted:
hey, today, a

5mm thick
1" long
Stainless Steel
Scew Locking
D ring

failed.

fair enough theyre on my metiors which are especialy heavy but thease things should be good for 500lbs at least! And ive had the metiors for less than a week.

has anyone else seen spontaious failing of key components you thought you overdeigned? must be fun on fire.

N

[ 15 August 2002, 10:50: Message edited by: Nix? ]

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
well one i managed to melt some the crimps on the wire that my fire poi were connected to... that was worring and the fact that it happened more than once is not good... i was luckey both times tho...

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've seen a couple ball-chain failures (one on my own chains). Ball-chain isn't exactly overdesigned, and in both cases, had more than a year of use behind them. And I've seen plenty of sub-standard stuff fail.

I'm curious, Nix--how did the D-ring fail? I'm sure this must be a random defect.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
not shure,

I was using them very fast today, and ive notice the scew liked to come undone a bit, and i tightened it. I think the srew came down somehow and the force just bent the D ring. didnt fly off swinging, but when it hit the ground.

N

-><- Kallisti

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
One time I was at a party with some spinners and my friends sparkle poi head detached itself from the chain and flew about a foot away from a photographer's head.
Phew close!

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nix?
The scew rings will unscrew themselves over time. I use a set of pliers before each use and tighten mine down. Then again, it takes a set of pliers to undo them as well!

How exactly did yours fail? Did they open or fall apart?
Thanks!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
bent open, wasnt enough stress to fracture the metal but certainly enough force to bend it. Im on the pliers too.

L

N

-><- Kallisti

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I use similer connecters on my chain whip. The chain and connecters get put under massive stress so I put JB weld on the threads and then tighten it down, after that they don't open again with out a hack saw.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
At firespinning last Sunday, someone was spinning poi and the heads clipped themselves together. They had the wicks attached to the chains with carabiners, which seem like a good idea, but aren't. They were spinning and the carabiner on one poi hit the chain of the other, the gate popped open, and the chain slid right in, clipping the poi together. They had to put them out to be able to unclip them.
This is good example of learning from other peoples mistakes, since i had considered a carabiner attachment myself...

[ 02 September 2002, 19:11: Message edited by: Jade Lynx ]

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I use one or 2 drops of lock tight green on mine then snug them with pilers

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Someone was telling me about that at the Confluence gathering last sunday. I thought that was pretty funny, myself.

Jesus helps me trick people.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
check check check before during after

glad Nix? you were lucky no injury

following up on Riz' point, even with check, anyone find any kind of glue helps in otherwise movable parts? heard one source say "krazy glue" (cyanoacrylate, if i remember its chem name) works and does not burn up, and we have plenty threads which say elmer's school glue too. glue inputs from experience, please, peeps?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
As AdamRice alluded to, check your ballchain regularly, particularly in the region that gets exposed to the flames. Stress on the balls while they are hot and therefor more maleable (particularly whacking you wicks on the ground to put them out) tends to start speading the balls and will eventually let the inner bead slip out. Change out your ball chain as soon as you see this spreading starting to get big enough to catch your fingernail in (for 15 gauge). If you do it sooner, you can turn around the chain so that the other end is the part getting heated and get almost twice the life out of the chain.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!