Page:
Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ok, i know this may seem ridiculous, but i really was wondering about it, and just thought id toss it on this board to see if anybody else had an idea like this

now, i dont have the guts to fire breath, but the effect is incredible and adds so much "ooh and ahhh" value to the performance, and since glow is the usual substitute for fire, i began wondering if there was a way to do this with glow materials

now glowsticks work because of two chemicals that mix and then react to cause the light, so say you aspirated one of those chemicals and had either another person aspirate the other chemical or somehow introduced the other chemical into the plume of the first say by spray bottle?

wouldnt this creat a plume of phosphoresence(sp?)
or would the chemicals not have enough time to react with each other, or perhaps they dont work in the presence of oxygen?

or perhaps one of the chemicals is too thick to aspirate?

or even if they did, perhaps those chemicals are toxic?

just me and my little wonderings, i was hoping someone with chem background, i.e. NYC, would be able to help out here...

i would ask if anybody has tried it before but i sincerely doubt it...

oh, and since i brought it up, i feel the need to say, please dont go trying this without solid evidence theres no harmful side effects...

thanks...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I tried this last night. Just break open a glowstick (this will tell you ifit has a glass core or not) As long as your a safe distance away as if your firebreathing it is safe. The effect is a huge glowing mist cloud that slowly settles down to the ground. You can actually get very nice distance, I had one plume go around 20 ft long

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
NOTICE FOR ANYONE WHO CUTS OPEN A GLOWSTICK NOT FROM THE U.S. OR CANADA
i had some glowsticks made in indonesia (the cheap dollar store kind) and was at a corn maze. we figured it would be cool to splash glo stuff over our shirts and play tag in the dark, so we did. the next day my shirt had dissolved away wherever liquid glostick touched it, and i had some real bad rashes all over the place for a few days.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
and that is why i don't go to corn mazes

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
Right..the truth....

glosticks, MAINLY, are non-toxic (all of the ones ive seen arent toxic anyway) but it is far better toi check beforehand....

secondly..cos no one else will (actually probably cos im nuts and a freaking loony...) the next time i have a glostick i will try breathing it...ive cracked open a glo stick before and its seriously fucky...you can actually write with it...(the goo from inside)

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
i tried this out a few weeks ago at a party where i couldnt bring fire to play with. i just cut open the top of a blue glowstick and drained the liquid into a bowl using a mesh screen to get the glass out to the mix. i blew it and had nice effects to it, i got about a 15 foot plume but streams where hard to pull off. i used about 10 all in all, and even mixed COLOURS(for all you europeans out there.. ) to try different effects. the best one was when i mixed red,blue,and white...looked friggin cool when i did it and instead of settling to the ground, the wind caught the spray and blew it onto people's clothes and such so the had this mist of colour on them for the blacklights to play off of..good party i must say.

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Bram, theblackunicorn,

what y'all did is REALLY excitin me, tell me exactly what you did, neither of you put glowstick fuel in your mouth & aspirated, right, so what do you mean by blowing it from a safe distance? what did you do, what fuel/ breath/ (non-flame, right) went where, in what form (liquid, vaporized, what?)

20 foot plumes??????

& yo, Bram, you changing your name everytime you log on? there's no slow-and-only-on-reload gif for the nickname field, i'm sure. . .you barrel of monkeys, dude!

SteelWings, trintek,

SteelWings, saw that site you gave us, reminds me of chem class showing stuff like lithium self-igniting in air. . . but all really fast flash, right?

only powder i have is some from a magic store used for a temple ritual once, as sprinkles onto candles, made just tiny flickers.

even bigger-scale, trintek, you're talking one-time flash, more like fireworks, huh, not the lingering, mushrooming thing which is really the heart of fire-breath for an audience?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
actually, thats exactly what i did. after filtering all the glass out of the mix i poured it in my mouth and atomized it just like i do paraffin when i breathe fire. i think the only reason i got such great range on the blow is cuz of the wind tho, im honestly not that good of a fire blower. i do have on word of caution for anyone who trys this tho..THAT STUFF TASTES HORRID!!! but seriously guys...do this at your own risk...i have no idea of the medical do's and dont's when it comes to those chemicals. wether it says non-toxic of not, please be responsible when/if you try this and any other move of technique you see on these boards, be it staff, blowing,poi of otherwise. one cool thing about it tho..the colours stayed in my mouth for about 20 min and made it really cool to laugh in the dark...hehehe

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
yes, you do put the stuff in your mouth and it tastes much like vomit, but worse. The effects are extremely cool tho, and next time I do it I am gonna try to get a digital camera to take a piccy for you peeps. Also try this at your own risk. As far as colours go, try green. I find that it is the brightest when aspirated

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
actually, i found yellow and white to be the brightest, but hey..they ARE yellow and white after all.lol. i am gonna try to take some pics too, tho my digital kinda sux. i can always try tho. if i get any worth seein ill post em.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kinudin:
It's a good idea, but I heard from a reliable source that people at raves were splitting glowsticks open, getting high off of them then dying. Not so sure people are that stupid though.
I understand they're not toxic, but they taste AWFUL.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hehehehe

im quite excited, it sounds every bit as wicked as i imagined it, id love to see the pics guys...

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
okie dokie

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
WHOAAAAAAAAAA, AG! AG! AG!

y'all have a brilliantly bursting life of good times, great renown, & huge satisfaction

(however long ya live)

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:

fieryfiendmember
48 posts

Posted:
Not-so important glow stick info
but still worth a read.

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
LOL..very nice fireyfiend...very nice

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
chuckles aplenty

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
why i flipped out, i caught Kinudin's post about dying from glowsticks earlier, & missed our own Dr. Chem Compounds' opinion that they're non-toxic.

same wishes tho

same ending

[ 29 September 2002, 19:48: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
& y'all glowstickbreathers,

that ad on tv now with that kid with a blue tongue from that drink in a bag, & the old guy in the office behind the glass window stickin his tongue back at him? yo? that one?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
This sounds pretty cool. Someone get pictures ASAP.

Also I an unrelated idea I came up with awhile ago. You know those bubble machines that spew out tons of bubbles at a high rate? Someone needs to make a bubble liquid that is UV reactive and spray the bubbles all around a club.

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Um...they do already...they're called Tekno Bubbles. https://www.teknobubbles.com/

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

FoxFiremember
90 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by theblackunicorn:
instead of settling to the ground, the wind caught the spray and blew it onto people's clothes and such so the had this mist of colour on them for the blacklights to play off of
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but one thing to keep in mind is if someone had a reaction to the chemicals. Just doing a quick look on the Internet, people can have allergic reactions to some of the chemicals in glosticks. I have no expertise in the medical or chemical field, but it is something ya might wanna consider. Even if it was something mild as a rash, it might be better to do something else instead of giving a group of people a case of the itchies.

Just a thought...

Deuteronomy 31:6
John 15:9
Luke 6:22

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
If they have allergies it's their fault for being inferior.

PS-jokeing.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:bump:

come on, someone has to have pics by now...

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
didnt know about any reactions that were had..tho i would feel like a tool if they did and it was my fault...BTW..my digital is gone bye bye//so no pics from me..sorry

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I would say that 99% of glosticks are non toxic...so people shouldnt have alergic reactions to them.

and its a bloody expensive show...

the price of glosticks these days!

i can remember when you could buy 50 glosticks and still have enough change from a ha'penny for a bag of chips on the way back home.

those were the days.

KyleG4uSILVER Member
KyleG4u
68 posts

Posted:
Another idea is breathing out a colored liquid under a black light, if the liquid was non toxic and transparent it might disappear, there are a ton of non toxic substances that glow under a black light. I cant think of any at the moment but i know there are plenty. Okay, i can think of one but i would never put it in my mouth, cat urine, glows under a black light... but i would never put that in my mouth or recommend putting it in your mouth. But i Know cat urine isn't toxic coz ive seen other animals drink it *nas-T* but the overall point im trying to achieve is throw in a black light, and breath random non toxic liquids, you never know what youll find

It's like when you can't remember something you get.... short term.... kidney failure, that's gotta be it, something wrong with your kidneys...
---------------------------------
Love Peace Chicken Grease, Live Laugh Love

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Colored water?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

KyleG4uSILVER Member
KyleG4u
68 posts

Posted:
there is probably a way to dye water a neon color that is non toxic, and neon colors glow under a black light. Or a pre-colored liquid like a type of alcohol maybe.

It's like when you can't remember something you get.... short term.... kidney failure, that's gotta be it, something wrong with your kidneys...
---------------------------------
Love Peace Chicken Grease, Live Laugh Love

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Fluorescein is very safe (they even inject a solution for fluorescein angiography), as a powder it's dark orange-red, though I've only ever seen it made up when it's been a pale orangey pink colour, though that'd depend on how concentrated it was.

It fluoresces yellow-green

It might do.

Page: