aislinn_dup1BRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
I've looked high and low in hardware stores across Dallas. I've checked every link I can imagine in the yellow pages. All this just to find some kevlar wick to make me some chains. I would order it off HOP, but since I'm travelling around, I have no permanent address and by the time the goods got to an address, I could be a couple thousand miles away. So,my question is, where do you think I could get some of the magical wick? Do you think a camping store would sell it? Help!

Imagination free flow as energy swirls to glow. Once then when we understand we'll drink from each others hands, embracing all life as one together soulfully done.

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
my very first pair of chains had kevlar from the brake pads of a 1926? modelT. pretty cool huh?

well its not as fat as the kevlar from this sight or others but it definately does the job. a friend of mine found it and bought it so i don't know for how much. all in all you just might want to check out body shops. especially ones dealing with old cars.

best of luck enjoy yoself and happy trails!

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

gooblemember
71 posts

Posted:
My colourful friend, I think you'll find kevlar was founded in 1965, so I suspect you had asbestos fibre. Look here...
Du Pont

aislinn_dup1BRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
You know your kevlar facts..! Thanks to the two of yea though. I don't think I would have thought of that.. ever. cheers

Imagination free flow as energy swirls to glow. Once then when we understand we'll drink from each others hands, embracing all life as one together soulfully done.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
You could also get it sent to where you are travelling to...I'm certain it doesn't take very long (usually a week or less) to arrive almost anywhere in the world with good postal service.

The other one is to get it sent to a friend who will know where you are or get in touch with them to let them know, and then get them to send it on.

Unless you are on the run from the cops or the nasty MIB people (the ones from X-files, not from the movie) in which case it would be best to just stick with towelling.

I'm sure Malcolm will be along shortly to sort out the approximate time it should get there...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
another product that is pretty good, although it has fiberglass in it- in case you don't want to use towel (can't imagine why) and can't get regular stuff mailed to you, is muffler wrap. it even comes in up to four inch widths, and lasts as long or maybe longer than the regular stuff. most performance grade auto shops carry it.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
btw it looks almost exactly like the regular wicking. it is not called muffler wrap, that was a brain fart,it is called exhaust wrap. it is used to wrap your headers and exhaust pipes for heat shielding.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the worst part of a brain fart must be the follow-through.
::pictures follow through and faints::

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Since you seem to have issues with mail order, check out magic stores, and any store that looks like it would sell juggling supplies, some upper end kite stores sell kevlar (usually in 1' by 2" strips). There are quite a few places in Denver that sell it, so it would stand to reason that you could find something in Dallas as well. Hardware stores will not carry it.

[ 30 July 2002, 11:50: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Jesus helps me trick people.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
kite shops are also worth checking out. they often stock fire toys, and associated paraphernalia.

and juggling shops, but that's probably been mentioned.

you can definatly get kevlar from kite shops, which specific ones I know not.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Hey, if you are in Dallas, TX, email me and I can probably hook you up if you don't mind a set with 5-10 burns on them...

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
the on-line official poi-purveyors seem the best bet from having checked around in Southern California, though arashi's exhaust wrap is intriguing.

i followed a long chain of referrals; home-improvement/hardware stores, juggling stores, magic stores, camping/ mult-sport stores, barbecue stores, heating/ furnace repair...no luck finding it off the street; latest rumor is that someone has a family member who might know a list of manufacturers besides DuPont, wondering if there's a factory locally so we can show up at its garage door and beg...

wanted at least to share where i've tried by phone, always interested to hear of street options for quick needs times!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
i only used the kevlar from the brake pads for about a month. but are there extra dangers from fiber glass?

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay let me rephrase cause you need to know this. muffler wrap rocks, behind towel and kevlar wicking of course. the best part is that it's easy to get. that's why it rocks. any high performance car supply has it, so it's replaceable on a tour. fiberglass isn't exactly play-doh, tho, you wouldn't want to eat with it or anything! you could even wrap the outside with wicking or even towel and have no worries if you are real paranoid. my only worry would be breathing in itsy bitsy particles after you hit the wick on your face, but even then, it would be minimal as the fiberglass is woven together. as i said, it comes in varying widths up to four inches, and lasts a long time, esp if you dip your wicks IN KEROSENE/LAMP OIL after each burn. folks in cirque flambe use it as their wicking all the time.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
aislinn, use the convenience of this HoP board and community! Do you know enough of your wanderings... are you in Galway now?... to know where you'll be a week or three hence, see if there's a HoP member where you'll be, using the Meet others search out here, or by asking through this thread for people in towns along your itinerary, then see if they can receive a package from you from Malcolm at HoP (or whatever supplier you choose, including the used set toneman's offering)? Then you'd get your kevlar, and pick it up from a fellow HoP pyro?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US