ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Im thinking of buying some of these new astrojax saturn, check the site...

https://www.astrojax.com/products/ajsaturn.html

they do look cool, especially the disco effect. also it will be nice to learn a new toy, it looks similar to poi.

does anyone have any experience with these, or know any good sites to learn.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
astrojax = evil waste of time that will soon collect dust on ur shelf.

Honest

They arent hard to learn but once you mastered a few tricks, okay you can go crazy with them, but its ultimatly boring. Repeating a move is often impossible.

The only good thing is painting them with glo-paint for a freaky dancy thing

part form that

crap

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Saturn's light up and flash. They're fun and easy to do basics, and I've seen some amazing stuff done with them. Anyone in London should pop along to the Science Museum to see if Christian is demostrating them as he's very, very impressive.

Buy 2 sets of Astrojax. I don't think you need to as why!

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
The astro jax are 3 balls on a string, the new saturns are with 3 leds with different options
im sure you can do all the same moves as with poi and more?

does anyone agree?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
between donm and I we got 4 of the puppies.
Their good raver candy.
And can swing them as poi.
Bit like having a yo-yo in your pocket to play with.

Red devil, they're not poi, and have a completely different dynamic, different toy.

On the old grey whistle test for astrojack saturns did they score a hit or a miss?
The scored a hit.
Go for it.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
glass, if they are just balls on string why is the dynamic so different? is it the kind of cord they use?

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
OK i got 2 sets of saturn astrojax, and they are fun,
you have a ball at each end of the string and a loose ball which slides from one end to the other
in the middle, a bit like a yoyo, the gravitation and the way the balls move around each other are different than poi, ok you can hold one ball and swing the other 2 like poi, but it definately was different than i expected, dificult to control but you can make nice patterns, and the lights are amazing especially the disco strobe, i like them better than my ravn lights, you get 3 balls for 12 euros so im going to get another 2 sets and make some poi with the lights.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
That's why the dynamics are different, it's a different toy.

Red - don't buy another set to make poi heads, just place your current sets in string bags and spin them.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Paddy, I'll pick up a set for you next time I go to London if you'd like.

They're really neat, but to be honest, I'm too into my staffs and contact ball to be bothered with a new toy. Gimme till christmas, I'll start thinking about a new toy by then. (yes, the cord is special, the balls are made of rubber and have a hole through them. the dynamics seems pretty exact, but what do I know)

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Dragged this one up from a long time ago

The astrojax are weighted with a central metal weight to give them the dynamics required for doing tricks with them. I should be getting an astrojax saturn through soon for demonstration purposes and will probably buy a second for poi type tricks (eventually).

The big launch is coming up during September and the coming months in the UK, soon Woolworths stores across the country should have them and they really hope they sell well for christmas.

I have spoken to the inventor (Larry Shaw) about the possibility of fire astrojax and he has already made one with metal ball chain instead of string and ceramic balls covered in kevlar. I made the suggestion of kevlar string as an alternative to the ball chain and he seemed to like that but it will be a while before we will see fire aj on the market (need to see how well the saturns market first).

Mark P

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Oh, the Saturn's are going to sell big time! Play with these babies and people will flock to find out what they are. I can't see a very big market for fire aj.

Hint: should you be in a dark place with lots people under the influence about and they ask how it works, the answer is: magnets. You can expand further on how your hand motion powers a dynamo powered magnet, etc... Teasing clubbers is great fun!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
yeah I agree Dom, I am doing some demonstrations when they finally come out in Woolworths (beginning of sept) and may suggest that we can have some that we can sell (with lots of comission ) in our own time, ie at parties etc.

Mark P

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
that oddballs in camden's go em