MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I spun on the beach recently. For convenience, I put the fuel, dipping bucket, pois, and towel all in a big pot. When we got to the beach, we filled the pot with seawater and used that as our safety bucket. Smart move.

When we were done, I dumped out the safety pot, rung out the towel, and put everything back in the safety pot. Dumb move. The pois (wicks included) all got soaked with salt water. I rescued the wicks by soaking them in tap water to get rid of the salt and then drying them in the sun for a few days. Then, after a day-long soak in fuel, they seem to be OK.

The chains were rusty. I rescued them by soaking them in Coca-cola overnight (first good use I've ever come up with for Coke). Then, I rinsed them off with water, gave them a good spin to get rid of as much as I could, and then ran a paper towel down them to dry them. Ideally, I should have then doused them in rubbing alcohol to get rid of the water, but for lack of rubbing alcohol and time to go get it...

Seems to have worked for getting rid of the rust. Also got rid of the soot that was on the chains. And, amazingly, the ants didn't attack the bucket. We'll just see if the chains can dry without rusting now...

Water and chains are bad enough. Saltwater is just extra work. But if this happens, remember, you have to get rid of the salt and the best way to do that is with water. Then you can get rid of the water. Air drying works OK, but the best way to get rid of water is to choose a solvent that mixes with water AND has a low boiling point so that it dries quickly. Rubbing alcohol is a good bet, but expensive. Acetone is stinky, poisonous, and explosive, but it dries almost instantly.

And Coca-cola works beautifully for de-rusting and de-sooting. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse off your cloth handles unless you want them attacked by ants.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I'll bet it is the phosphoric acid in the coke that does it. Is that the same stuff that is in naval jelly?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

maladminmember
46 posts

Posted:
I've heard of naval fluff but never naval jelly

We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are. - Tobias Wolff

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I think it is the phosphoric acid. Which, I might add, is pretty nasty stuff.

And this, folks, is one of the many reasons why I don't drink Coke.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
You think Coke's nasty, check out your stomach acid. Eww, get it out of me!

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Vingar is better than coke
Dr. Pepper is more destructive, but a great cleaner
ANY cola works for this effect though.....

We just saw an experiment on this using coins and different acid/bases on the kids show ZOOM

They don't wear the ugly striped shirts onthe show anymore, but the theme song is more catchy!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Oh, the things you'll learn on HOP...