Forums > Technical Discussion > need help to get giant "poi"

Login/Join to Participate

daphataasmember
1 post

Posted:
hi i have seen i nice toy do anyone know were to by and hov its works.......its a big ball ca 30 cm wide with a chain and wenn its lightet and you swing it around small sparkels comes out....looks nice and i whant to make or bye one....pleace help

ps. its looks a littele heavy

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
i'm guessing giant whiffle ball filled with steel wool.

anyone else?

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Dog chain.
Wire egg whisks.
Coarse wire wool. (S.O.S. Pads)

Or look up Supafly from this board and email him on how to get some Titanium Dioxide. I'm sure you will catch a glimpse of this on COL3. Wicked cool effect! But, apparently, it hurts like hell! (Speaking of, Supa, how's your head? )

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Leoniemember
7 posts

Posted:
locally we call them "wangers" coz there so cheap to make you can just "wang" (throw) them away if your in an empty field or on the beach e.t.c. there the chicken wire baskets but there filled with newspaper/ scrap paper to hold a decent amount of fuel and a shitload of wire wool. an old d clip ot split link and a bit of chain and wallah... make em as big or small as you like!
soakem, spin off the excess and smack the floor with em while spinning to get a real good set of sparKs. one bit of advice though, a hat/ wetted bandana is a bit handy stray sparKs tend to try and make themselves at home in your hair
hope this helps

[ 12 July 2002, 09:28: Message edited by: Leonie ]

Belief? What do I believe in? I believe in sun. In rock. In the dogma of the sun and the doctrine of the rock. I believe in blood, fire, woman, rivers, eagles, storm, drums, flutes, banjos, and broom-tailed horses...

Muff_Daddymember
45 posts

Posted:
hey, that sounds wicked. anyone have pic of that, or where i can find a pic?

'Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than they hide.'

Leoniemember
7 posts

Posted:
its better than wkd looks pretty spesh theres some pics of what it looks like in the gallery under mirabelis and the really cool ones are in masterna's folder

Belief? What do I believe in? I believe in sun. In rock. In the dogma of the sun and the doctrine of the rock. I believe in blood, fire, woman, rivers, eagles, storm, drums, flutes, banjos, and broom-tailed horses...

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Have a look at this site

https://wood2.woodyland.org/pics/poi/abingdon_park-northampton-10072002/page.shtml

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
yep pyrophile is right there woodys site has a lot of our wire wool piccies we dont use any fuel just a chicken wire cage and then stuff it with fine or medium wire wool - you can see the results for yourself.

it is worth having a look around the other piccies on the site there are a lot of poi piccies, some with coloured flames, some staff, some fire sword and lots of party action

Piccies

if you look under the poi section there are piccies of a small set of cages
Larger cages give better burn times as there is more wire wool but there is the disadvantage that they are quite hard to spin cos of the wind resistance and you need to be able to spin fast if you arent using any other fuel with the wire wool - when using my cages at glastonbury people were coming up to me and wanting to talk straight after the sets but I was completely out of breath
and had to sit down for a bit first!!

Enjoy (and try not to hit your legs!!)

Mark P

igimember
15 posts

Posted:
wow - some great pics.

lemme clear something up that i dont understand.

This wire wool will burn of its own accord willit (ie its flammable?) i have never heard of it before so am curious - but you were saying you dont use any fuel - so wondering how it burns....

Is it better with fuel or without?

And where is the best place to buy Wire wool? my local B&Q? (DIY store?)

Cheers

igi

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives.</i]