Forums > Technical Discussion > How do you make those funky fotos

Login/Join to Participate

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hi, its me the not-a-photgrapher,

Those funky trails from fire chains I imagine that the technique is not just a matter of going click, how is it done some kind of long exposure or something.
Question 2 : is there anyway in the westy europeness who really enjoys making these photos and is willing for a session.

Gluck T.

"....And god created lighter fluid."

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
if you have a point and shoot camera with very basic functions its gonna be hard to get the trails. perhaps your point and shoot camera has a B mode function in it. if it does put it there. the trick is a longer exposure. so in this mode you can hold your shutter button down for the desired lenght of time. squeeze your elbows into your chest to keep your camera steady and experiment with how long you hold the button down. or techniquely speaking keep your shutter open.
now if you have an slr(single lense reflex) camera you can go all over the place with these photos. a trypod is key to really good pics. set yourself up remembering to play around with the hieght you choose to shoot from. i'm going to reccomend film speed of 200 or 400 anything higher will be gritty if you choose to print the pics bigger than 4x6. apperature is set on your lense. thats what the numbers on your lense is all about. so when your just starting to play around set it around 4 the lowest and up. you'll be very safe at 5.6. now on top of your camera is the shutter speed selector usually right next to the shutter release button(the button you click to take a pic!) this is where you can play with how long your film is exposed to the image. or how you get the trails. bc your appeture is pretty open at 5.6 meaning a decent amount of light is being let in, know that the lower the number you choose for shutter speed the longer it will stay open. so do a test roll the first time and try a shot with every shutter speed. record the order in which you do it so when you get the pictures back you can say oh thats the desired effect i want and use the that setting.
so if that was confusing this is how i really do it. i use a tripod. there's also an attachment for your shutter release button called a shutter release cable. this is a handy little tool because without touching the camera to avoid shaking it, it can click the pic. so i use 200 or 400 speed film. agfa puts out a film called agfa ultra it gives super saturated color which is fun. i set my apperature at 4 and them use B mode for shutter speed. same thing as the point and shoot camera. the shutter stays open for as long as you hold it down. i count to 3 or 4 before letting go or just go with how i feel. 9 outta 11 pics turn out great!
hope that helps have fun
if i confused you sorry
if you have more questions i would be glad to help
mich undastood genious

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Apology excepted, I got the bit about the clicky button but what do you do with the tridrent and how am I suposed to get 200-400 of them. But seriouisly thanks a mil for the info. Did'nt understand that much of it myself but a freind is dabbling a bit in fotography so she'll probably be able to decifer it.
Thanks again.
T.

"....hah thats not a real g....."

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
laughing and feeling like a nerd.
u could try a dispossable camera with no flash. ohh maybe even your camera with flash turned off. your camera no flash best option
can you saycccccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee!

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Man I live in holland I can make cheese come out eyeballs.

Thanks again for the tech. and blah.
T.