Wilfredmember
10 posts

Posted:
When i am fire breathing i have no problems when it comes to large fire balls, but if i try to breath continuously i am loosing air faster... does anyone follow what i am saying and know any excersise or tricks to maintaining my air supply? please help!

Non-Https Image Link

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,GIVE UP!w.CHURCHILL

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
take a big breath beforehand..?

Practice. (=

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I could give you a massive list of breathing exercises to do if you really REALLY want me to? But I mean it is massive. I spend atleast 3 hours a day doing breathing exercises and increasing my lung capacity.

erm, some simple exercises or hints:

1) the idea is to breathe from your pelvic floor muscles (right deep in you stomache)and fill all of your abdomen with air.
Before you start, take a few minutes to lie on the floor like so:
Sit on the floor on your knees, then sit down on your heels. From there, bend forwards and rest your palms on the floor, placing your forehead on top of them. Close your eyes and breathe deeply for a while. In through your nose and out through your mouth. You should be able to feel (this sounds horrible, but it's the only way I can explain) your anus moving (sorry!!) thats how you know you are breathing to your full capacity. If you can't, don't worry. It takes time to get way down there!!
Do that. PLEASE REMEMBER TO STAND UP SLOWLY - or you may faint

2) To breathe a long steeam of fire, the best way to achieve depth is to run backwards whilst exhaling. If you stay still, obviously you can only achieve a certain distance as at some point the flame will travell back towards you. If you move and breathe at the same time, it will never get you, and you will have a tunnelled flame effect. Run backwards (make sure there are no small children behind you - I've made that mistake) and bend down slightly.

3) Do some simple stretches before you start:

RIB OPENER = stand up straight, extend right arm above your head, place left palm on right rib cage. Lean slightly to your left. DO NOT MOVE YOUR HIPS OR LEAN INTO YOUR RIGHT HIP. Simply think about leaning left in an upwards direction. Hold for 30 seconds and try to breathe into your left palm. Return to standing. Repeat on Right. twice each side.

BEAR HUG = (opens back of rib cage) stand up, 'hug yourself', try to have your hands as far in (towards the middle of your shoulder blades as pos.) breathe in without letting your shoulders rise. THEY SHOULD NOT JUST GO UP, THEY SHOULD MOVE OUT TOO. Think outwards and upwards. From there, stay in that position, bend your knees and lean over, placing your chin on your chest and your elbows between your knees. Breathe in this position. Again you should feel it in your lower back.

erm....that maybe enough for now. I have loads LOADS more if you want them. Or if you don't understand just let me know. But the exercises I do make fire breathing much easier for me. Maybe they'll work for you too??? who knows! Much luck,
Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
/drops to dib's feet
wow dibs! that sounds pretty comprehensive tho i do look sillier than normal in my office - now i have more things to practice every day! does it help wif meditation too?!
I make the assumption that I'm not the only HoP'er who'd luuuuuurve to see the breathing exercises definitively listed on a proper thread on breathing excercises. I promise I will keep flatulence jokes to a minimum.
I have the lung capacity of an elderly wombat, and felt my lungs unshrink as I read ya post.
3 hours?!?!?!? damn i don't even spend 3 hours a day eating, ... or firetwirling for that matter!

good stuff! I learnt something valuable today!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
*lol*

Not a fire breather myself, but I used to have a good lung capacity and control over my breathing because I played the flute.... maybe it's something you could take up ?!

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Bender, Get up you fool, you're making me go all shy *Covers face with hands and curls up into a ball*

If people want me to, I do not mind listing all the breathing exercises I do, and many more that I don't because they don't really work for me personally. But they are beneficial.

I have to spend 3 hours a day doing the exercises as it's part of my course, but I also do them alone. If you do not use your intercostal muscles everyday, and stretch them properly, they die, and then you have to rebuild them again. So it's like a daily work out for me. That and my contorsionist (if only I could spell it ) stretching! yay!

I also do a lot of Yoga and Thai Chi which helps with the breathing obviously. loads of fun!!! And yes, it does help with meditation. What do you do to meditate Bender?

So, do you want me to list them all then??? I don't mind...

[ 03 July 2002, 02:18: Message edited by: dibs_star ]

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

Wilfredmember
10 posts

Posted:
dib thanks for the tips i am slowly applying them to my daily routine i will keep you posted on my progress and i will follow up if i have any questions.... p.s. can anyone tell me if the flute is a woodwind, if it is i cant take it up i am allergic.....

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
flutes are made of metal...

Clarinets are made of wood..hehe

Maybe we should all become singers and practice 4 octive scales in one breath every day...that's sure to increase lung capacity.. (=

Dibs, i would love to see you list out your breathing exercises... (=

[ 03 July 2002, 11:44: Message edited by: CrazyRaverDude ]

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

6,978 posts

Posted:
I meditate for Astral - but their definition is much stranger and precise. meditation to me is the mental escape that people who can see around the dark silhouette around their lives and percieve everything from every angle possible. a loose definition, i know, but it defines a practive that i often garnish with trips to the bush/coast, pills, hallucinogens, breathing. inward exploration.

ps I learnt a new Au today:
the Au Sem Mao. it hurts like a bastard when i don't stretch
i have a new firetoy with which to try out this funkmeister move.

/peels dib's hands back to reveal Charles Manson's face. realising he must be tripping bender runs into the door which happens to be painted on (probably by dibs) and is walled unconcious by the knock. This is Jack's spleen.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I do breathing exercises for trance states, i also do them to calm down, and to control my emotions which is definetly not what they are supposed to be used for, but eh. i only know a few though. Dibs hun, i think you should start a "breathing exercises explained" thread. I know i'd be interested.

and bender what beyond mysticweb.org do you know about astral?

Peace & Love,
Kyrian

and another odd thought- you know what's cool? being able to connect to all of ur body at once- i don't know if i can explain this right- but it's really awesome- errrr- sighs, perhaps someone will know what i'm on about? i'm not so good with words.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

6,978 posts

Posted:
/pictures the blood flowing into stretched muscles straight after a yoga session and considers yoga fanatics to be endorphin junkies

I take lectures from the Australian Gnostic movement (the coursework component) - my current course is the astral program. I read their books and do the 'homework' we're set with. i still can't pronounce my current homework (mantras for dream retention :/)
best thing i've ever done, cus it awakens an important part of our lives that is sadly dormant in most people

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
jesus you ain't kiddin about the intercours-tal muscles! mine's gonna fall off soon!
seriously, tho, i used to have the biggest strongest tai chi lungs, i could blow like thirty foot columns, but after talkin about it on another thread, i measured, and no, not quite as large anymore...only 20 somethin or so! aaaah! i've been doing chiqong stuff to get it back tho, so that'll get fixed... man, i just don't blow as much as i used to. not that bigger is better, but my lungs feel as big as kidney beans lately. you guys are inspiring, and i'm all over those exercises! tanks, dibs! more, more! i'd describe the chiqong stuff, but i'm not sure i could, it's all new agey and energetic...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
*agrees with bender*

could you email me sm of it perhaps?

btw, i luv u forever for bringing up richard bach.

bridge across forever beautiful book- and it explained a why something else to me.

Much Love, Kyrian

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

6,978 posts

Posted:
*sighs* yeah sick! will spam ya with the lecture files when I get my email workin' again!

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Bach's stuff is beautiful. You managed to get 'There's no such place as far away yet?'

Right, I'll make a Breathing exercise thread, but it'll take me a while to finish it. But I shall edit it, as I go along. I couldn't possibly to it all at once. But i will...just for you!

I do Chiqong too. Erm....I could try to write easy steps to that...right....the thread will appear soon.

Really pleased you are interested in this, thanks guys. All angels.
Dibs xxx

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
nope, not yet. want to hit up illusions too.

luv to dibs!

Kyrian

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Wilfredmember
10 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the help dibs, you started quite a breathing movement. I know i will be checking out your exercises....

6,978 posts

Posted:
My lower lungs have had their cobwebs cleared! - these lungs now feel like that toy car that you one day realise is transformer toy and begin to fully use it...
/Thanks auntie dibs and runs out to see what direction the toilet water flushes

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
ne pas de problem people. The first stage of the exercises are now up in 'Breathing Exercises' funnily enough. Have fun!!