Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I had this idea for a new toy the other day, but I don't have the skillz to build it, unfortunately...I thought I'd toss it out there in case anyone else would like to give it a go.

Basically, you find clear tube-shaped casing (like electroglow, but w/out cloudiness) and install a series of leds in a line that leads up the inside of the tube. Then (and this is the tricky bit) design a basic ciruit that will light up the leds one at a time, such that there only appears to be one led and it travels up the length of the tube and then back down again. I can't think of any better way to desribe it...hopefully you get the idea.

Anyways, you've now got this light bouncing up and down in this tube. If you spin it, it should leave a trail resembling a many-pointed star.

So, what about it? Would it work? Anyone up for building it? Let's have your thoughts.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Sounds cool. I have a friend who bought a necklace that has 8 different balls with led's inside them that chase each other. Maybe you could take something like that and rip out the board and hook it up to your own stuff. I'll tell you something that would make an excellent tube...latex surgical tubing. Maybe that will add some fuel to the creative fire.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

884 posts

Posted:
From the sounds of it you could swing that necklace around just as it is. I guess it's a matter of how fast the lights flash. You'd need 15-20 cycles per second for it to look good.

Will keep an eye out for those. Thanks glowshow.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
awww man., i thought you'd pulled real stars out of the sky, and were swingin them around on dog chains... now that would be fun..
-can you even attach a dog chain to a big ball of flaming gas?
i think swinging black holes around would be fun too..

- my excuse for this post is that i just ran into a brick wall on my bike :/
Long Live Fairy Floss!

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Did you and the wall get acquainted very well fallout?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I swear, fallout, everytime I hear about ya, you're getting maimed somehow. Lucky you use safety scissors at home. hey?... you do don't ya..?
on another banknote, Ima warning joo about wednesday@edin is getting extra flames.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
ahh yes Kinduin, we did get aqcuainted well.. after the incident, we went for a coffee. here's a transcript:
brickwall: i like the beach
me: i don't like the sand, it's all coarse and rough, not like you" - *GROPE!*
=end transcript=

in addition to safety scissors, i use round pieces of paper, so i don't hurt myself with the corners.

"extra flames"! mmmm...

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I dun wanna sound like a broken record or what, but the scene where vaderboy gives the lurvely portman the gropey gropes, I haveta say that her dress is one of the most elegant gowns this little black duck has ever seen! metallic and silky is true to sci-fi i guess!

Non-Https Image Link

[ 25 June 2002, 19:03: Message edited by: Bender_the_Offender ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

maladminmember
46 posts

Posted:
Not going off topic or anything (he started it), that gowns not a patch on the top shes wearing on top of the pole during the gladitorial games bit.
btw. this link may help with your circuit design
https://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page5.htm#night_r.gif

We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are. - Tobias Wolff

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Ooh.. Another thing for me to try when I go home for the summer (anyone remember the idea of "bubble poi"). I think I have a programmable chip lying about somewhere at home (thats what comes from trying to make robotic buggies for your A-levels)... if I set this up with a bunch of LEDs then I can have programmable LED thingies... then its just a matter of playing with the patterns.. these could be funky.

884 posts

Posted:
Let us know if it works Tom.

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I worked the circuit and components out.. cost £100!! So I am going to have to change some things.. Which means leaving it 'til after my holidays..

Tom

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
You could take this a step further and have the poi write shapes and letters as it spins too.
Axis.

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
That's exactly what the ones that I've designed can do! Now I just got make them.. and cheaper.. but I'm working on it..

Tom

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You can buy LED units that are designed to be spun around to produce letters, get one of those and use it or it's circuitry and you've a letter writer. Would be quite cool.

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
My biggest expense at the moment is the batteries, 32 LEDs, ZIF chip holders and ecthing stuff oh.. and P&P I need a 6v and a 12v power source, using lithium coin cells (3v) means I need 6 for each poi head.. (I've found them for £1.40 each). Though I recently found some ZIF sockets for £1.40 each (rather than £9.99 ). Still working on the etching powder and transfers.

Oh.. and I already have a gibillion sets of poi and staff..

Tom

[ 07 August 2002, 23:35: Message edited by: Tom ]

Stellamember
63 posts

Posted:
that is the coolest idea ever my cousin! Star poi sounds so nice. hmmmm, sounds too technical for me to figure out so i wont be any help. Has anyone here ever made fire poi that have an ignition that makes them light mid swing? thatd be cool too.

rocketfire_tothemoon@hotmail.com CARPE DIEM seize the day and you will never regret your actions

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
For self lighting staff or poi try these threads.. I'm not sure if anyone got one working but there were a few ideas bounced around..

EUREEEEKA!!!!! the answer to self igniting staffs!!

Self lighting poi?

Tom

(edit: hit the wrong button)

[ 08 August 2002, 23:08: Message edited by: Tom ]

Stellamember
63 posts

Posted:
Dude! thanks Tom

rocketfire_tothemoon@hotmail.com CARPE DIEM seize the day and you will never regret your actions