Forums > Technical Discussion > Steel wool... to infinity and beyond!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Ok I sent my friend to the store to pick up some steel wool for me the other day.. Low and behold it was on sale 2,24 packs for a buck.. so he bought the store out. I now have a nearly infinte supply of steel wool.

I could make really big heads... but don't see the point in making them any bigger then I alrdy have. Someone mentioned maybe attachin some to a fishing pole and whippin it around like that... another idea I got was for a steel wool whip. Which would take more time and will power then I have. I need a quick idea to expend ALOT of steel wool befor this weekend.

Any crazy-suicidal idea's welcome A reverse blowing vaccum strapped to my back is also to much work.

[ 28 May 2002, 16:06: Message edited by: Knagi ]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Sparkly fire sculptures. make some frames in interesting shapes with wire, pack'em with steel wool, light'em & bob's your aunties, jane's your uncle!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Shoe laces... lite and run... as simply as 1,2,3... (1) attach... (2) lite... (3) run like a bitch...

------------------
We all get the spotlight eventually. You can have it when I’m done.

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i lik ethe idea of a sparely sculpture.... you could makea ginat sparkely puppet....

if you do anything too suicicdal i wnat pictures....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
uhm, if i remember right.. doesn't the steel wool have to be in motion to send off showers of sparks?
not quite sure if this sparkly sculpture/puppet thing would work..

hmm, has anyone ever recreated the chemical stuph on fireworks sparklers and used it for poi? oooo...

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Steel Wool??? What do you use it for , is it explosive

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
2-24 packs for a buck!!! I'm so jealous.

best way I've seen to use alot of steel wool is a cage about the size of a beach ball. just one though. two would be kinda hard. thinkin of makin one up myself.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Wooo love that idea arsn. Been tryin to think up flaming/exploding running boots, never crossed my mind to just use steel wool. Any other sweet idea's?

The puppet won't work. Steel wool needs air flow and force to release right. However I do happen to have a 24 foot flaming puppet laid out on paper

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

spikeyrichBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
You should try making some cages for the wire wool. I have seen a cool pair, about the size of a fist, attached to fire poi chains. The effet is INCREDIBLE!!the sparks fly for miles! Well, maybe not quite miles but you get the idea.
Could try looking at bird feeder cages if you want ready made cages.
One tip....a pair of safety goggles (or sunnies, depends how cool u are!) would be a good idea cos the sparks are pretty lethal.
be safe you kids.

as you think so you are, as you imagine so you become.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
little larger then a fist is the norm. I use small gauge wire and can make some really unbelevable cages around towels. Steel wool is a sinch to wire up, Can do up steel wool heads in under a minute.

Course the real question is can you think of any other ways of using steel wool.

Gonna wire up some steel wool snakes for sure. Love the be safe comment as Arsn tells me to tie them to my shoes and I agree that's a great idea...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
*returns shamefacedly & cautiously after having original idea proved to be impossible*

*says in a very quiet voice*

Have you thought about swinging clubs? They would look good with sparkly end bits...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Knagi,

The most suitable toy for wire wool definatley seems to be poi as you can get the speed needed for it. Good staff people may be able to get a decent effect using an adapted staff but I dont really know about many other toys.

(one possibility is a small staff section with chains on either end, seen in a Shaolin Monk video but these are an absolute ***** to use without hurting yourself!!)

On sunday morning just before sunrise at a free party in Bridgewater (UK), me and woody did one set of wire wool each and got a huge round of applause and cheer from everyone that saw

All in all a fantastic party - loads of poi - loads of space - loads of nice people - 20 systems playing excellent music

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Once again, what exactly do you use steel wool for?

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Hey Bram,

We use steel wool for this :
https://wood2.woodyland.org/pics/parties/boomclick-moles_club-bath-10052002/
thumb/dscf1582-1-0.shtml

It's the way forward :-)

As MarkP mentioned, on the beach at Bridgewater really rocked (pun intended)

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

Diablostikmember
34 posts

Posted:
Yes, Bram, I just love when the important questions get completely ignored in a thread.

I've never heard of using steel wool for a fire tool, but, I do know that all you need to light them is a 9volt battery. I deduced from the all knowing thread-makers that you need wind to get the desired effect, which seems to be a great show of sparks.

ignorance is not bliss. enlightenment , however, is. enlighten the ignoramousi of the ethos. lend a little knowledge. don't set yourself on fire...

...unless it's part of the show.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
9-volt won't really work. The steel really has to be fueled, burning and heated up abit befor it becomes useful for display.

Quick update.... How about a burning steel wool pad launcher built out of a leaf blower? Cut a hole in the top of the tube near the engine... Forge in a backflow device or some sort so the air doesn't blow out of the loading hole. Insert flaming pad. WOOOSH.. It would prolly do an effect similar to fire breathing.. Only on a much larger scale.. And prolly alot safer then any type of fireworks or exploives. ****This is only theorticly speaking.. ***DON'T EVER DO THIS!***

Come on I don't wanna see this turn to a newbie thread.. Do a search the answers are out there. Think **INSANE** Steel wool has to have so many more uses then just poi and stripping paint. Btw arsn. I backed outa the shoe idea last weekend.. Gonna have a nice open beach this weekend and maelstrom for back-up, Someone dropped off an old pair of shoes for me to destroy, sooo we'll see.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, i don't know if it will work or not... (hand over heart)never has so much been available to so many for so few...$$$...
my buddy forest told me that one time he stuffed a whole bunch in the end of a LARGE metal tube, the irrigation kind that you cement in under roads/driveways, and that some cool music started happening. he may have had a fan in one end, i'm not sure...come to think of it, it may even have been a smaller metal pipe...anyway he put it in some kinda pipe and it made music...you could even put a mic near it if there was anything...i'd say it's worth a try. music is good. if it works out, let me know! i'll just pay the cash for steel wool if i have to.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
oh and Knagi - I forgot to add to the last post - you B******!!! 24 rolls for 1 buck it costs me 13 gbp for 1 kg of wire wool at the moment

Like the idea with the shredder thing - how about one of those old medieval ballista things being fired out to sea

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yo,

Wire wool, dosnt kneed fuel.

Wire wool, goes well with silk shirts.

Wire wool, looks best from a distance.

Wire wool, leves millions of little scars on your head.

Wire wool, is very very very cool in confined spaces.

Wire wool, would look nice in a big cage on the end of a smallsh chain attached to a very big staff.

Wire wool could be put in a blower and cinda drip fed with a pilot lite, constant sparks, aim away from face.

Wire wool, ces't cool.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
So, I notice steel wool comes in several sizes at my hardware store, from smallest 00, to 1, and 3.
Any opinions as to what works best for fireplay?

Maximus

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I was using steel wool to make squibs for movie special effects, and I had my equipment all thrown in a box together, which included very fine steel wool and 9 volt batteries....long story short I had no idea that it could be ignited that way, untill I dumped all my stuff out of the box (a couple days ago)and the steel wool "misteriously" caught on fire. I was like "what the hell is going on?!?!?" so I started thinking, picked up one of the 9 volts and inocently touched it to the steel wool....needless to say, I could have easily burnt my house to the ground. I had no idea, I just threw everything together and put it in my closet. It scares me to think that came that close to a major disaster...so....don't EVER store your steel wool near batteries!!!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
the best grade steel wool to use is grade 00 (the finer stuff) coarser wire wool does not burn as well.

Here is a link to piccies of wood2's cages (mine are slightly larger)

https://wood2.woodyland.org/pics/poi/steelwool-burners/page.shtml

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Anyone wanna take a rough guess at how hot this stuff burns?

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I would think that if you accidently wrapped your arm with it.....it would be just sort of running a arch welder across your arm. What do you think Knagi?

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

wanderinglintonmember
31 posts

Posted:
Now THAT looks like fun...

Do you need fuel to make them burn, or can you just light up the steel wool by itself?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I tend to use a staff or fire club to light the wire wool - no extra fuel needed! Basically as soon as you have some glowing steel wool, the person lighting runs and you start spinning like a twirler posessed!

I guess that steel wool burns at around 1600°C but I am not entirely sure, there are piccies on wood2.woodyland.org, in the poi section, from where we were playing on top of a trig pillar in Mount Road Park. It was fairly windy as some of the piccies show which meant loads of the sparks were continiously hitting us and there was no serious dammage

greenfyregirlSILVER Member
journeyman
55 posts

Posted:

We wrap it round chains, staff and the devil sticks.

Poi and sticks look best. The devil sticks look v cool, everytime they bounce you get little sparks everywhere! aaahhhh, pretty!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Mark P & Woody..
.. I saw you guys in the morning.. I'm kicking myself I didn't come over and say hello.. but I was stuck on the tea stall in one of the sound systems most of the nite.. the shower of sparks over the dunes was a great sight to see.. I had to leave all my fire stuff in the car - MILES away, coz we decided to go cross country to avoid the hassels.. but I had my blue glow stix with me..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
(Looks at his wrist) Yeah I'd have to say it's worse then an arc welder. For all you ppl new to steel wool... Don't screw up, this stuff does burn in the 1000's of degree's. A split second of skin contact is enough to give one heck of a 3rd degree burn. Or bracelet in my case.

Pic's in the gallery if anyone wants to puke.

[ 14 June 2002, 13:19: Message edited by: Knagi ]

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Just saw... I could now only think what your shoes would have ended up like... tee hee... even still what a scar... chicks dig scars... or so I heard... anywho...

-------------------

Non-Https Image Link

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Fire Dragon,

It is a shame you didnt get chance to come and say hi, (which system were you with cos I was chatting to someone at one of the systems and trying _badly_ to teach someone a little bit of staff), we try and make it to a lot of parties though so I am sure we will meet again soon.

If you are at glastonbury or solstice @ stonehenge then we will see you there.

Happy Spinning

Mark P

Page: