Fezzamember
13 posts

Posted:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried making a fire toy out of a normal stockmans whip or something of the like ? if so how would i go about making it and is it any good or is it really not worth it. I'm only going to make it if it looks good, would like to hear some comments on how they look, feel and it they please a crowd
thanks

*Bow down to the all impressive Fezza*

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
For ideas look here, not extensive but fun. I am sure I saw some others stuff round here...

Would you want to make a whip of kevlar, or place wicks along a stockman's whip at equal intervals?

[ 24 May 2002, 17:46: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Fezzamember
13 posts

Posted:
Aiy,
hmm i was thinking of making t out of kevlar rope or taking an existing whip and then putting kevlar tubing around the outside so that it still cracks as well as providing fire for the masses. i think it would prove too heavy to place wicks at seperate intervals down the whip and would make it less whip-like.
anyway thatnks for your ideas. might try some things now.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
a stock whip is plaited leather, right? You could run a kevlar rope down alongside it & use the cross-overs in the plait to secure the kevlar along the length of the whip. But I don't know what kind of cord you could use to attach it. It also may change the weight of the whip dramatically.

I guess your best bet would to be to use a stock whip handle, & attach a kevlar rope in place of a whip. But from what I understand you need to be aware that the fuel tends to travel to the end of the rope, so you wouldn't necessarily get an even burn down the entire length.

Post some pictures of the beastie if you get it up & running

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Do you still want it to crack? What makes a whip crack is a very light weight tip which momentarily breaks to speed of sound as the whip is swung, so you wouldn't really be able to have kevlar running all the way to the tip.

My dad made us stockman's whips out of plaited strips of old bedsheet with a single 2 inch length of rag on the end when we were kids... they made a small crack when we swung them. Awesome fun!

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
well, just a couple points, as seepa said, the whip would be really heavy and you would still have to leave the tip light. another thing is, soaking the wick, now if you attatch it to a leather whip the leather will in turn get wet fom the fuel, which in turn will make the whip stretch and weakin, because of the fuel and added weight of the fuel, not to mention, the whip would be *really* hard after it dried out. just a couple thoughts, tho i might be totally wrong!! lol

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Fezza
check out my folder in the picture section i have alot of pics of me using a fire bullwhip i made and there are some more at www.darkrizen.com...i used the same method as making a reg roo hide whip but replaced the roo with kevlar.. as far as pleasing a crowd hell yes they do every time the whip cracks it spits out a 3 or 4 ft fireball it is so bright i cant even get a picture of it and it acts and feels like a reg whip so i can still do whip routines with it ...

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Im really interested in the whip and the pics Riz has got on his site. The design looks awesome (also looks expensive).

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

gooblemember
71 posts

Posted:
were u @ Moonfest yesterday.
you would have seen one in action
and.... action aplenty
an awesome piece of equipment
you need to come down to Davies Pk in West End Tues nite to see it in action again
limited to being at a distance though, this thing spits out a huge fire ball, not to mention the crack!!!!
Yeeeee haaaa

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Fantastic photos, Riz.

Wow!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
thank you for the kudos on the pics..they are some of the 1st i have done

twril n ya they are kind of pricey right now
$150 for a 5 ft and i am working to lower the cost with out giving up any the quailty most of the cost is in the handle design and thats with me working in a machine shop...i still use my protoype whip it has over 250 burns on it and still going strong just as bright as the 1st light up plus i designed the whip so just the outer layer can be redone its fully rebuidable...
i just got done making a matching set i am going to light them up for the 1st time this weekend so look forward to some really cool fire whip pics or some real funny Riz is on fire pics

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
hehe You wouldn't be interested in making a whip to sell would you?? (=

Riz's whip is bad ass..
*seen it first hand*

plurr
ÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Fezzamember
13 posts

Posted:
hmm $150 ? thats american right ? dammit that way too rich for my blood....here is aussie thats close to $300 or more. oh well i think ill have a look down at some here and check out prices....making one seems like a lot of effort and skill that i prolly dont have.
thanks for the info
*i burn for a living*