arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
so, if any of you out there are old school, like me, and use towel...those fun burns that the metal gives you when you wrap can be even better! when you make your wicks, just leave enough slack in the wire so you can make a pretty design with it! i prefer spirals, and lightning bolts...my arms are covered in them, luckily (or not)i don't scar for very long! just thought i'd share, as this brings me an immense amount of joy, like henna but better! great conversation at parties! ways to break the ice with babes or hotties!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
Amen to that! Hehehehehehe! Maybe this will start a new craze in body modification...preformance branding...

Life is serious, but art is fun!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:

I know like my kevlar even more than I used too.

Then again, I really really really hate burns!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
arashi, your a complete nut.. someday I hope to make your aquaintence and compare scars..
I love your attitude, "Well if it's gonna make scars, might as well make them pretty.."

to much fun..

burnin'
nasu

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
chicago? man, i dun fire there! i might be around there again after burning man, if i can finish my brakes on the bus!

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
we used some aluminium mesh on our poi that left some pretty burns.........

and some not so pretty ones

sounds like a cool idea arashi, like henna but better

snap dragonnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I always end up with the cold shut links branded on my legs, from wraps those are nice Too...

EDITED_BY: snap dragon (1094372601)

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I've got a lovely crescent moon burn from the the end of an ally tube at the moment, and some herringbone wick patterns from using dodgy fuel.

Maybe you could get a lucky charms bracelet made of metal and wrap it round your wicks so you can have a different lucky symbol with each burn... try to collect the set!

monkeys ate my brain

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Done that. Im over it. I still have scars from over 3yrs ago, and got 1 this year thats probibly going to last forever. It hurt alot, like 2 weeks of bad sleep. Minor scars are 1 thing and if you do get them thats cool, but where is the line drawn? Because there is not much difference between a nice design and a painfull memory. Im guessing about 1 second.

What ever turns you on though...

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I do multiple wraps on bare skin, get burned every time... don't mind it much. They go away in a bit, some of them don't, but it's something to remind you that you spin fire, or in a long time, used to spin fire. Think of them as impromptatoos.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
My scars on my arms always turn out looking liks smiley faces. I got one of these cool on my right bicep and a tongue on my left from isolations gon bad. I burned the tip of my nose the night of the burn at burningman, got a little too twisted up and isolated and tried to go to fast. Not a really flattering scar though even if it was a swirl or something.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
To me, a burn = a mistake.

If I burn myself, even if it's just a touch, then I'm going to be thinking about where I went wrong and how to prevent it happening again.

I tend to use stalls a lot more than wraps with fire.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

To me, a burn = a mistake.

If I burn myself, even if it's just a touch, then I'm going to be thinking about where I went wrong and how to prevent it happening again.

I tend to use stalls a lot more than wraps with fire.

im with dave on this one

scars are not a good thing in most ways

while saying that -

i do understand that for some ppl the idea of

*the scars will fade, but the glory lasts forever*

is a good idea, but i dont like that idea (well a lil) but not when i had a bad burn of about 3-4inch, and 2inch on my upper right arm from a staff cradle, and it sealed to the skin, and i had to ripp it off...

i have man light scard on my forarm from wraps and staff with fire ropes, and such, but i normally ware protectors to be safe, and make sure i dont hurt myslef...

than again i do understnad that for some ppl, its on a par to self harming, i know of ppl, i have never met them, but i know of spinners who use cable poi for just that reason, then brand themsleves, badly up and down their arms to feel better....

just be careful guy

mistaes you like, can be mistake you hate in 10 mins time!

Step (el-nombrie)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hehe where'd you find this old thing?
well, when you use towel wicks the burns you get from the bailing wire look like a long thinnish marker line, they heal within a week or two, and they hardly hurt at all. but i used to do metal scultpture so a "bad burn" to me is more like the kind that hurt for weeks- white flesh and such- that's a painful burn. a small burn to me is just a reminder of an experience, i've got a pretty high burn pain tolerance after blacksmithing and welding. plus i've got enough control with my wraps that i know exactly what kind of burn i'll get before i get it.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

a small burn to me is just a reminder of an experience, i've got a pretty high burn pain tolerance after blacksmithing and welding. plus i've got enough control with my wraps that i know exactly what kind of burn i'll get before i get it.

This statement echos the statement a self harmer said to me.

"I cut myself to remind me I'm alive. It doesn't hurt. I can take the pain. It's my way of controlling the internal pain. I'm the one in control of this pain. The scars just remind me I'm in control."

If you are deliberately burning yourself you might want to look at the real reason you feel the need to do it.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well that's easy.

wraps!

i'm not afraid of pain, so i don't avoid the wraps. it's not about self mutilation, rather not being afraid of pain or discomfort... comes with the fire dancer job, doesn't it? and i go one step further by making the burns i do get in my art beautiful. i think the fear of fire keeps people from really spinning like the fire is and isn't there.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I'm with Arashi on this one - I don't do wraps that burn me for the pain, I see it as a cost for doing multiple wraps. I have weighed the costs and the benefits and found that I'd rather keep doing wraps and getting a bit burned than not do wraps and come out of fire spinning without any burns.

It is too hard to apply deep psychological analysis based on a post on the internet. I could just as easily turn it around and say the fact that you spin fire is way of coping with your desire to rebel against a society of conformity, as your insecurities prevent you from even attempting to fit in with the norm.

This is (probably) untrue, of course, but you get the point - I don't think you can know what his/our intentions are simply by the fact that we've drawn the relatively arbitrary line of danger/pain a bit farther than you have smile

Plus, in 60 years, I'll have an interesting story as to why I have all these little white marks all over my arms. "Grandpa used to set things on fire, kids!" I'll never babysit my grandchildren. I'd never be allowed to.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I thought the 'self harming' point was a good one; obviously no ones saying that it applies to all, or even a significant number of those who like aquiring burns- but t will apply to some.

What arashi says about his high burn tolerance from blacksmithing makes sense, he simply doesn't mind the little burns from wraps.

But I think it's important on a board like this, which is visited by a lot of newcomers wanting to learn about how to get into the world of fire spinning/arts, to present some alternative opinions, especially when it comes to burns and potentially dangerous stuff like wraps (with fire).

Often we get people talking about getting burnt as if it's got some kind of status, or others talk about getting regular burns as if it's an inevitable part of fire spinning.

There's nothing clever about getting burnt whilst spinning, and it's not a necessary part of fire spinning.

For some, particularly those who wrap a lot, burns are going to happen, and if

they're ok about it then that's fine; but let's not make it out to be some kind of heroic 'rites of passage' thing.

(And I'm not even saying that, for some, it can't be a 'rites of passage' thing, just that we don't want beginners getting that idea- they'll be much better off working on the moves and skill development, rather than collecting burns cos they think it makes them look like 'fire pros').

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!